Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

compass at the mirror?

hey all f80/82 fellows,

i m just wondering anyone has the little compass indicator at the rear mirror? just like this?

i have the compass indicator on my e92's mirror, but i dont see on my f80.

i have also referred to the manual and it shows there is a small hole at the bottom of the mirror, by inserting a needle or something sharp to activate or tweak it. however, i dont see any hole at the bottom of the mirror

if u guys have the compass indicator, what package u got for your ride? i got Premium package included but not "connected drive package". thanks in advance.

Last edited by woosolow; 01-28-2015 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Might be CDN issue. USA models have compass.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Yep I have it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

U.S. spec F80 has compass in rearview mirror. Sounds like your options are packaged
differently in Canada. I rarely use it in my M3...I bring up the navigation if there is question...with all these donuts I'm completing in the parking lot, it's difficult to keep track of what direction I am heading.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow View Post
hey all f80/82 fellows,

i m just wondering anyone has the little compass indicator at the rear mirror? just like this?

i have the compass indicator on my e92's mirror, but i dont see on my f80.

i have also referred to the manual and it shows there is a small hole at the bottom of the mirror, by inserting a needle or something sharp to activate or tweak it. however, i dont see any hole at the bottom of the mirror

if u guys have the compass indicator, what package u got for your ride? i got Premium package included but not "connected drive package". thanks in advance.
I can't comment on whether or not there is a difference in the Canadian spec, but I had the same thing with my F30 335i. I had a fully loaded spec car and yet my wife's less loaded 328i xDrive Coupe had the mirror compass.

At first I thought it could be because I had Sat Nav, and she didn't, but sure enough, it just wasn't switched on via the small hole you just referenced.

Here is where the hole is located.

Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I believe that the compass only comes on mirrors with homelink in Canada. Im guessing you did not get the technology package or the stand alone remote mirror ($250)...if you did order either of those then BMW Canada should replace your mirror because you got the wrong one.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - SO/SS, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
I believe that the compass only comes on mirrors with homelink in Canada. Im guessing you did not get the technology package or the stand alone remote mirror ($250)...if you did order either of those then BMW Canada should replace your mirror because you got the wrong one.
+1

I have asked that question before and concluded it was due to homelink, as I compared with another forum buddy here and the only thing different was homelink.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
ahhhh.... i see, no wonder... none of the package you mentioned above is in my built lol no idea why bmw has to opt out the compass mirror while its standard on my e92 with premium package.

anyway thank you for your clarifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
+1

I have asked that question before and concluded it was due to homelink, as I compared with another forum buddy here and the only thing different was homelink.
sunnyboy do u have homelink installed on yours? haha
Appreciate 0