Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #23
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Just saw video. As the leader, find a straight and coast on one side of the straight to let the faster car through. This slows the follower and keeps him on the same side as you. Did you not see him at pit out? The S2K was behind you since you went out onto the track. Its your outlap and you are doing 7/10ths and showing line to someone, Let them through...

That 1 min mark shows you werent aware what was going on behind you... Perfect place to slow your group down to let a car through...

If i were in your situation, i would've looked for the S2K driver and apologized...

Your side of the story says he came at you aggressively and then the other side is saying he wanted to talk but you were being a douche and screaming covid protocols...

Last edited by hC1001; 03-16-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 5
      03-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #24
2013135isbro
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
I will have to see if anyone caught him on vid.
careful what you ask for, cuz you just might get it. Everyone watching the vid now agrees you and your friend were in the wrong here.

Now is the time for you to drop your ego, admit you and your friend's mistake, and learn from it.
Appreciate 3
hC1001591.00
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #25
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Sounds to me like typical rich guy entitlement syndrome. Just because you and your friend are in expensive cars doesn't mean S2000s or Miatas need to take a bow. S2K's video is pretty clear, you guys acted poorly and then logged onto the forum and threw a tantrum. Not cool.
Appreciate 3
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #26
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

My CaR iS mOr3 3xPeNsIvE aNd FaSteRz

Man OP got "punked" on this thread.

Before I even watched the video that showed exactly the opposite of what OP said, I was already thinking, if OP is so experienced, why didn't he pull off the driving line to show his less experienced friend how to act with decency on the track especially if you're showing a damn driving line to him. :

"Experienced" lmao
CanAutM321116.50
      03-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #27
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Good driving on S2K part.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #28
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

After couple of incidents you can tell the S2k wasn't going to risk passing an unknown driver with seriously low awareness.
      03-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #29
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

... i'll throw this out there too... doing a lead/follow with one of your 'fast buddies' is just a recipe for disaster like this.

go find an instructor and do it safely with them. they're used to driving with an eye in the rear view mirror to set pace while teaching the line. they'd also have extra eyes out to make sure the follow points people by. as an added bonus, they'll prolly be excited to help you out too!

source: i'm an instructor for nasa and do lead/follows all the time and it's not an easy request. it takes some coordination between drivers and an understanding of how to manage scenarios like this before you get out on track.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 3
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #30
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezlehp4e92 View Post
Hey OP,

Full disclosure; I am friends with a lot of people in the SpeedSF org, as I have been tracking with them for several years now. And I was not at the event, so I only know what I've heard second-hand. But, I will say this:

I can appreciate why you may be upset from some confrontation that sounds like (from both sides) hardly happened. But, why the need to get so personal and talk so much shit?

I've seen the s2k's in car footage and I think a lot of people will see that he was being courteous the entire time, without taking any unnecessary risks to pass. You state "...and understood that you will be sharing the track, so be nice." The Aston, and then you (if you wanted to continue the lead-follow with your buddy), should have slowed and let the s2k pass, as he was clearly running the quicker pace and you wouldn't have had to seen him again for the session. Everyone paid to be there, so it's not just about being nicer to the moderately paced folks, it's also letting people who want to go faster, go faster and get their fun out of the day/session as well.

I'll try to find a link to the video and share here.

From his side, I heard he just wanted to talk about the session, but you refused to chat, calling out COVID rules. Again, I wasn't there, so I have no further comment about this.

Lastly, he is not a speedsf employee (neither am I) we all have some t-shirts and hoodies from the events we like to go to.

And I guess from a personal standpoint, you don't sound like a very nice person, middle-aged-professional or not.
I believe in my op I mentioned that the issue was that this little asshole walked up on me confrontationally AND compounded by the fact that during a pandemic you do not do this 2-3 feet from a person.
Also that as an employee or volunteer or whatever you've gotta remove that branded clothing item, or represent yourself i a professional manner.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #31
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
The old saying of "if you have someone new in your mirror for more than 3 corners then you ought to let them pass" comes to mind after seeing that video...

Yeah it sucks being behind a slow pair of cars, but it doesn't warrant yelling after the session. Just drive through the hot pits to create spacing.

And it's cool to have a high HP car, but don't hold up faster, low(er) hp cars. Take the ego hit, pass them by, and try to learn where they're faster than you.

It all boils down to cooperation.
I regularly use the hot pits to remedy traffic situations.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #32
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post

Your friend was a boat anchor in every turn and passed him back several times on the straight, and a couple instances almost punted him into the wall. I can see why the s2k driver was upset.
Havent had a chance to watch the video yet, but as far as what was happening behind me all I have to go off is what the SP Cayman driver said was that the s2k was getting inches from the Aston's back bumper and being an "asshole."
Perhaps if you are on here saying that our lead follow was the issue, maybe you are also a piece of shit on the track, and maybe need to confer with an actual racer and get their point of view.
I was actually oblivious to there being an issue behind me until the lil guy stormed into the garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #33
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
I was there on sat and saw what happened. Your Aston friend kept cutting him off at every single safe overtaking spot and he had to back off every time. There was a very dangerous incident between T6 and T7 where the aston seemed like he was slowing down after T6 and the S2k took the chance and then he tried to make it back to following you. He literally cut the S2k off and almost caused an accident.

Did it warrant that aggression afterwards and breaking the 6 ft social distancing protocols? Probably not, and this is probably a speedsf issue on having open group where people's skills aren't balanced enough for others.
Thanks for chiming in, this was only his 2nd event(first at SR,) and I fear that maybe he felt pressure to remain behind for the 2 laps we had decided to run before I left the track.
Just this morning I told a friend about the bonus session concept and he was like "yeah, bad idea," without me mentioning this situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #34
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
My CaR iS mOr3 3xPeNsIvE aNd FaSteRz

Man OP got "punked" on this thread.

Before I even watched the video that showed exactly the opposite of what OP said, I was already thinking, if OP is so experienced, why didn't he pull off the driving line to show his less experienced friend how to act with decency on the track especially if you're showing a damn driving line to him. :

"Experienced" lmao
Go back to being a wannabe dj skratchmaster douche bag

I'll bet youre a lil hot head just like this kid.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #35
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Thanks everyone for your points of view!!!
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 05:49 PM   #36
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
Yeah, Peter is a good driver, this was your buddy's mistake and he can learn from it. The tempers flaring up after that's on everyone involved. Chill out you're all there to have fun.
That's exactly the problem though isn't it. This video is a classic example of entitled people at HPDE ruining everyone else's fun. You spend hours getting your car ready, drop thousands on tires, gas, hotel, take time off work. Then you get on track and there's some guy driving 6/10ths in his cabriolet all over the place seemingly completely blind and doesn't let you pass. The vantage should of been black flagged after the first lap and given a talking to before being let back out.
Appreciate 2
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #37
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

This thread is fun!

Truth be honest the s2k was very composed and hardly driving erratically and certainly not too close to your friend.

If you didn't know there was an issue on track with your buddy then you shouldn't be doing a lead/follow. For someone's second day at the track, a lead follow is throwing them into the deep end.

Live and learn.

Edit: I will say though... if it's an end of the day fun run and it's a mixed group out there then it's on every drivers responsibility to be even more aware of your surroundings and give quick passes in the approved locations on track.

You and your friend could have waited to come onto a hot track and the s2k could have cooled his flying laps to get a point by.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 2
kyippee1073.00
redpriest2147.00
      03-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #38
_christopherlee99
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
I fear that maybe he felt pressure to remain behind for the 2 laps we had decided to run before I left the track.
So you're telling us it's your fault as the lead driver since you were planning some "medium speed stuff in line with intermediate expectations" and should let faster people go by. Great "advanced" level awareness!

The bonus session worked just fine regardless of the mixed skill group. An OP2 friend said he could have gone for that session alone and been happy with the day.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #39
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Just saw video. As the leader, find a straight and coast on one side of the straight to let the faster car through. This slows the follower and keeps him on the same side as you. Did you not see him at pit out? The S2K was behind you since you went out onto the track. Its your outlap and you are doing 7/10ths and showing line to someone, Let them through...

That 1 min mark shows you werent aware what was going on behind you... Perfect place to slow your group down to let a car through...

If i were in your situation, i would've looked for the S2K driver and apologized...

Your side of the story says he came at you aggressively and then the other side is saying he wanted to talk but you were being a douche and screaming covid protocols...
He came in hot, and I get being amped up, but there is just such a better way to approach someone, and yes covid protocols as we are still in a pandemic.
If he wants to talk I absolutely still would, hash out what could have been done differently, and afterward we can get out on track and have some good fun lapping.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #40
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
That's exactly the problem though isn't it. This video is a classic example of entitled people at HPDE ruining everyone else's fun. You spend hours getting your car ready, drop thousands on tires, gas, hotel, take time off work. Then you get on track and there's some guy driving 6/10ths in his cabriolet all over the place seemingly completely blind and doesn't let you pass. The vantage should of been black flagged after the first lap and given a talking to before being let back out.
Letting a beginner without an instructor in a mixed group doesnt seem like a smart idea. I will say the org has some fault in this situation as well...
Appreciate 2
Montaver2180.50
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #41
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your points of view!!!
Just two posts above you berated someone as a douchebag because they disagreed with you. Make up your mind. Either you tuck tail, man up and apologize for throwing a tantrum (recommended) or stick to your guns (not recommended). Here's another tip: anytime someone says "I punked him" (whatever that means!) or indulges in name calling (thread title) or talks about "lil guy" you lose credibility fast.
Appreciate 4
kyippee1073.00
Bon F80127.00
      03-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #42
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
He came in hot, and I get being amped up, but there is just such a better way to approach someone, and yes covid protocols as we are still in a pandemic.
If he wants to talk I absolutely still would, hash out what could have been done differently, and afterward we can get out on track and have some good fun lapping.
This could've been handled better. Maybe you couldve resumed the conversation after safely distancing and straightening everything out.

I didnt see any flaggers helping the situation either... where the f*ck is the blue and yellow?
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      03-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #43
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _christopherlee99 View Post
So you're telling us it's your fault as the lead driver since you were planning some "medium speed stuff in line with intermediate expectations" and should let faster people go by. Great "advanced" level awareness!

The bonus session worked just fine regardless of the mixed skill group. An OP2 friend said he could have gone for that session alone and been happy with the day.
Glad your friend had fun, shame my tires were heat cycled out, and I didn’t want to take it back out to worsening lap times. In advanced level I look for passes and take them not relying on point by’s. Perhaps I hadn’t been on track with the intermediate in a while and lost sight of needing to actually make way for someone to be able to pass.
Oversight on my part, but my wanting to reflect was clouded the moment I was confronted.
Thanks for your post!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #44
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Just two posts above you berated someone as a douchebag because they disagreed with you. Make up your mind. Either you tuck tail, man up and apologize for throwing a tantrum (recommended) or stick to your guns (not recommended). Here's another tip: anytime someone says "I punked him" (whatever that means!) or indulges in name calling (thread title) or talks about "lil guy" you lose credibility fast.
The only thing I even consider apologizing for is that I was gullible enough to be provoked by this guy as he speed walked in screaming and being in my face.
I am disappointed in myself, but at the same time my 52 yo friend was actually jarred by how I was confronted, and thanked me for handling it when the dude angrily demanded to know who was driving the Aston.
IRL I am super laid back and actively avoid confrontation, but this encounter all due to not getting a pass on track really blew me away. If he had come
In with even half the aggression I would have been 100% receptive.
Let’s hope it gets resolved in time, and make no mistake about it my friend understands now that there is zero shame in pointing someone by.
One of my favorite pastimes is getting behind an obviously faster driver and learning from them.
Appreciate 0