BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Best approach to get BMW dealer to help with immediate repairs after used purchase?

Hey gang,

I just bought a one owner, dealer maintained 2015 M3 with less than 50k miles from a BMW dealer back east (don’t want to name them yet) and had it shipped out. It drove great after delivery, but the next day it threw a CEL. I washed the car and afterwards, it went away. I ordered a wifi adapter but kept driving the car. Fast forward to today, where it threw another CEL. I checked the codes and it came back with 135A08 and 135808, which both point towards a valvetronic issue. I’m going to have it diagnosed by my local dealer, but I’m obviously not happy, as I’d be shocked if the valvetronic motor wasn’t having issues before they sold it to me.

I understand used cars are sold as-is, but I’m looking to get some kind of help from the selling dealer, and I’m looking for the best approach. Anybody have any ideas or directions they can point me towards? I’m thinking contact a manager at the dealer and potentially file a complaint with BMWNA, but I’m open to ideas.

Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

TL;DR: bought a good condition 2015 M3 from BMW of Louisville and had a valvetronic motor failure the day after I received it. Dealer gave half the repair back. Will not skip a PPI again.

Last edited by theweebabySeamus; 11-06-2022 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Hey gang,

I just bought a one owner, dealer maintained 2015 M3 with less than 50k miles from a BMW dealer back east (don’t want to name them yet) and had it shipped out. It drove great after delivery, but the next day it threw a CEL. I washed the car and afterwards, it went away. I ordered a wifi adapter but kept driving the car. Fast forward to today, where it threw another CEL. I checked the codes and it came back with 135A08 and 135808, which both point towards a valvetronic issue. I’m going to have it diagnosed by my local dealer, but I’m obviously not happy, as I’d be shocked if the valvetronic motor wasn’t having issues before they sold it to me.

I understand used cars are sold as-is, but I’m looking to get some kind of help from the selling dealer, and I’m looking for the best approach. Anybody have any ideas or directions they can point me towards? I’m thinking contact a manager at the dealer and potentially file a complaint with BMWNA, but I’m open to ideas.

Thanks for any help anybody can give me.
I don't think the selling dealer would help you as even though the car was dealer maintained, it wasn't you building the relationship with the service department but the original owner. Though it never hurts to ask, but not sure what they can do since you cannot even bring the car back to the east coast.

Did you do a PPI before you bought it?

I don't think filing a complaint with BMWNA would do anything at this point, it's out of warranty so they aren't legally required to help you. But if you ask real nicely, they may grant you good will and assist in the repair. However before you do this route, you may want to stop by your local BMW dealership to see if they can help you out with that.

Realistically, I would start building a relationship with a indy BMW shop since that's what most people do after warranty. BMW charges like idk $250/275 dollars per labor hour?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #3
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I definitely understand. I’m at a disadvantage and they are not (that I can tell) legally obligated to do anything. I’m more just hoping I can get them to do something just on the grounds of their reputation.

I did not get a PPI, like I usually would, as I thought if any situation excused the need, it would be a one owner car being sold at the dealer that serviced it it’s whole life. Fool me once.

Edit: if I can’t get any goodwill, it will be done by a local indy. I’m confident in my abilities to repair, but this one is beyond me.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #4
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Dealers are shady af for the most part. I would count on getting exactly nothing.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2022, 05:51 AM   #5
StockholM3
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2015

Depending on where you live there are probably legal requirements the dealer is obligated to follow.
Usually you would have some protection against faults that were likely there and known by the dealer at the time of sale.
Whether that's the case for you or not, you could always reach out to them and ask.
If they get to fix it themselves it's often cheaper for them than it would be for you.
If they're not willing, you can either pursue your legal options within consumer rights or try public reviews if they care about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #6
Taylorsherk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I would think the car would have been sold with some sort of 30day warranty or something similar.

due to the dealer being on the other side of the country, i could see them ghosting you but you should def reach out
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 07:17 AM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

- Reach out to dealer and see what they can do
- Go to Indy and get it quoted and repaired
- Follow up with dealer and see if they will credit you
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys, appreciate all the input so far. I was considering having a dealer do a diag before I contact the selling dealer so it's a more 'official' approach, do you think there's any merit to that?

Last edited by theweebabySeamus; 10-17-2022 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

BMW dealers are some of the worst out there.

I can't help but love the username.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I can't help but love the username.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #11
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Some states require dealers to ensure a vehicle passes emissions before they can sale. Might be one angle you can approach. They should have a certificate stating the vehicle passed emissions. Having said that, "as is" is going to be your obstacle to any relief.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #12
kk_alpine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F80 M3

If I am not mistaken, if buying the car sight unseen, don't the dealers have a 3 day, some odd mile return policy on the car?
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #13
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Sorry to hear that, OP. Hopefully, you have a good relationship with your salesperson, they can usually go to bat for you in some regard.

Personally, I would authorize an hour of diagnosis at the dealership so they feel that you've participated, and then ask about goodwill. BMW does have a policy for DSA, which is Dealer Self Authorized GW; basically, your advisor uses their discretion and a matrix to cover some or maybe all of the repair.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35010-9999.pdf
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #14
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
Sorry to hear that, OP. Hopefully, you have a good relationship with your salesperson, they can usually go to bat for you in some regard.

Personally, I would authorize an hour of diagnosis at the dealership so they feel that you've participated, and then ask about goodwill. BMW does have a policy for DSA, which is Dealer Self Authorized GW; basically, your advisor uses their discretion and a matrix to cover some or maybe all of the repair.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35010-9999.pdf
Thanks, I called the local dealer and got....not the best vibe. I had leaned towards having them diag and looking for goodwill but just didn't get the impression they would be that helpful so I'm thinking I will get it done at an indy and express my issues to management at the original dealer. I'm sure I'll get nothing, but they'll at least get an earful.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #15
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Thanks, I called the local dealer and got....not the best vibe. I had leaned towards having them diag and looking for goodwill but just didn't get the impression they would be that helpful so I'm thinking I will get it done at an indy and express my issues to management at the original dealer. I'm sure I'll get nothing, but they'll at least get an earful.
Did you contact the selling dealer and let them know what's going on/your plan to potentially have it done at a BMW dealer?

If you're comfortable sharing, which dealership did you buy it from?
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 11:28 AM   #16
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Thanks guys, appreciate all the input so far. I was considering having a dealer do a diag before I contact the selling dealer so it's a more 'official' approach, do you think there's any merit to that?
I think if you want BMW NA support you'll have to get a diag with a quote for repair, reach out to BMW NA and see if they can goodwill or assist in the repair. Mind you, it might still be more expensive out of pocket than going straight to an INDY but YMMV.

I had an out of warranty repair from Toyota and they only comped the part, I had to pay discounted labor (10% off or something), but mind you I was the original owner, always maintained my car at the dealership for oil changes etc, so the dealership was willing to at bat for me to ask Toyota for Goodwill Repair. I had to get a crankshaft and sprocket replaced.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #17
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I think if you want BMW NA support you'll have to get a diag with a quote for repair, reach out to BMW NA and see if they can goodwill or assist in the repair. Mind you, it might still be more expensive out of pocket than going straight to an INDY but YMMV.

I had an out of warranty repair from Toyota and they only comped the part, I had to pay discounted labor (10% off or something), but mind you I was the original owner, always maintained my car at the dealership for oil changes etc, so the dealership was willing to at bat for me to ask Toyota for Goodwill Repair. I had to get a crankshaft and sprocket replaced.
That's kind of where I'm at. I doubt BMWNA or the dealer would do 100% and even if they did 50% that may still be higher than an indy.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #18
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
Did you contact the selling dealer and let them know what's going on/your plan to potentially have it done at a BMW dealer?

If you're comfortable sharing, which dealership did you buy it from?
I'm definitely comfortable sharing but I want to speak to them first. Not to threaten them that I will complain on the forum, but just so the issue is somewhat resolved.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #19
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Personally, I don't trust bmw dealers to diagnose issues. Track record with them for me has been awful. Indy is the way to go.
Appreciate 2
icegrill2078.00
spidy512494.50
      10-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #20
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
That's kind of where I'm at. I doubt BMWNA or the dealer would do 100% and even if they did 50% that may still be higher than an indy.
If the dealer did it, it would be warrantied for a year though. If that matters to you at all lol.

Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #21
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If the dealer did it, it would be warrantied for a year though. If that matters to you at all lol.
Definitely does, the shop warranties parts and labor for 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #22
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely does, the shop warranties parts and labor for 2 years.
You should consider having the Indy diagnose and have the dealer fix then.
Appreciate 0