Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
vitti821
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw m4

Battery charging issues, battery smoking, please help

hey guys so my I had been getting battery discharged notifications for a little bit and I have been using an external lithium ion charger. Brought it to my mechanic and he noticed the voltage from the alternator was normal but the battery wasn't really charging and the voltage of the battery was low at idol. He reset some things and then the battery seems like it was over charging and the battery itself or the attached hardware started smoking and you could smell something burning. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Note: my cooling fans are always running when the car is powered on for some reason, not sure if thats normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Where did you had your charger connected? Front or rear?

What did he did exactly? There is a way to tell the DME the battery was replaced but you should only do it when you really replace the battery.

You car has an IBS and will only charge if needed.

Disconnect the battery for one or two minutes for a reset.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Lioryoung
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitti821 View Post
hey guys so my I had been getting battery discharged notifications for a little bit and I have been using an external lithium ion charger. Brought it to my mechanic and he noticed the voltage from the alternator was normal but the battery wasn't really charging and the voltage of the battery was low at idol. He reset some things and then the battery seems like it was over charging and the battery itself or the attached hardware started smoking and you could smell something burning. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Note: my cooling fans are always running when the car is powered on for some reason, not sure if thats normal.

Cooling fans staying on is normal on that car, we tuned it that way.
Appreciate 0