Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: GTC4/M2/930/LP640Perf/GT4CS/X7

Mechanical Reliability of Modified F80s?

I am wondering if anyone has had any reliability issues with their modified F80 M3 (or even M4s) during hard track time, drag, drift, general floggings. Mostly curious as to those pushing into the Stage 2 / 500+hp club and how their diff, DCT, Clutch, even things like wheel bearings, etc are holding up after an extended time.

Asked another way- For those of you pushing into even higher power like 600hp and up on stock motors, what mechanical parts are the first to fail? These guys should be the first to know about the weakest links in these cars that may arise when lots of track time is on the odometer.

I have a small fleet of 4 wheeled toys capable for track time (2018 GT3, 88 M3, some 911s, etc etc) but have really been enjoying my recently purchased DCT F80. I hadn't considered tracking the car, but with a BM3 tune it may actually hold its own pretty well.

I only ask these questions as it seems that the general consensus is these F80s are pretty darn reliable, but I'm sure someone has some stories of failure under abuse.

Than you all!

Seth

Last edited by HamiltonSeth; 08-09-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I don't have any serious mods, just swap out wheels/tires and brake pads for the track. I have, however, busted a wheel bearing drifting on a make-shift skid pad at Laguna Seca. The surface was terrible, and I went against my better judgment in drifting it there.

If I were you, I'd just take your no mods needed track weapon GT3 to the track. Or you could sell it to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I got the sense most who post in this section for road course use just leave it camber plates +/- full coilovers and wheels/tires and leave drivetrain stock

Power adders seem to be more for drag racing or street only with highway pulls
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
I don't have any serious mods, just swap out wheels/tires and brake pads for the track. I have, however, busted a wheel bearing drifting on a make-shift skid pad at Laguna Seca. The surface was terrible, and I went against my better judgment in drifting it there.

If I were you, I'd just take your no mods needed track weapon GT3 to the track. Or you could sell it to me.
Thanks for the wheel bearing issue. Thats the stuff I am looking for.

Yes, the GT3 is very capable but I also will very selective of where I drive it, and who is driving around it. It is still in the break-in phase so I have yet to much more than cruise around town in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I got the sense most who post in this section for road course use just leave it camber plates +/- full coilovers and wheels/tires and leave drivetrain stock

Power adders seem to be more for drag racing or street only with highway pulls

You are likely correct. Even still, I can't seem find the weak links yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Your F80 M3 can take the abuse, go ahead and beat on it modified or not. It surely doesn’t overheat, worse case might spin a crank hub but those seem far and few between. I used to beat on my '15 M4 with a little Dinan tune and never an issue. Drifting is certainly no problemo in the F8X cars.

You went and mentioned the '18 GT3, so I'll go ahead an leave this here. Hopefully you're not one of "those Porsche guys" that babies their GT3, doesn't drive them, and does the game with the dealerships. We don't take kindly to such folk here in the BMW track section as we drive our cars like they're meant to be driven. If you're that type (I'm thinking you're not) try the M4 GTS section.

https://www.captiongenerator.com/105...Value-Threads-

Hopefully you realize I'm just messing around. Seriously though, the F80 should handle whatever you through at it. I'd keep it under warranty and flog it, if it was me. The only thing that can really mess you up warranty wise if you're stock is a money shift which can't happen in your DCT car.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 08-10-2018 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Your F80 M3 can take the abuse, go ahead and beat on it modified or not. It surely doesn’t overheat, worse case might spin a crank hub but those seem far and few between. I used to beat on my '15 M4 with a little Dinan tune and never an issue. Drifting is certainly no problemo in the F8X cars.

You went and mentioned the '18 GT3, so I'll go ahead an leave this here. Hopefully you're not one of "those Porsche guys" that babies their GT3, doesn't drive them, and does the game with the dealerships. We don't take kindly to such folk here in the BMW track section as we drive our cars like they're meant to be driven. If you're that type (I'm thinking you're not) try the M4 GTS section.

https://www.captiongenerator.com/105...Value-Threads-

Hopefully you realize I'm just messing around. Seriously though, the F80 should handle whatever you through at it. I'd keep it under warranty and flog it, if it was me. The only thing that can really mess you up warranty wise if you're stock is a money shift which can't happen in your DCT car.
Thanks for the feedback. The F80 is actually not under warranty and that is why I am just trying to realize what I may be getting myself into should I track it.

The GT3 just hit 900 miles with a little over a month of ownership. Once I get my first few rock chips and full 9k RPM screams on the street I will turn it over to some track time. I love that GT3 but I must admit the TQ of the modified F80 is pretty fun on the street.
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      08-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

In general the cars are very reliable. The only real issue is the crank hub, and there are fixes out for that now. (Porsche had issues too - Mezger IMS). I would spend the money to get the crank hub "fixed" and then you can do a stage I, or stage II to the car. This makes a huge difference fyi. Brakes / coilovers / etc, are all available and is a slippery slope just like any other car. Front wheel bearings can be problematic, but not horribly so. Cooling is awesome and is one of the only higher HP cars that can run in 90+ heat without going into limp mode.

While not GT3 territory for laptimes, it can be faster than most cars with minimal investment and the F80 has a back seat!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
In general the cars are very reliable. The only real issue is the crank hub, and there are fixes out for that now. (Porsche had issues too - Mezger IMS). I would spend the money to get the crank hub "fixed" and then you can do a stage I, or stage II to the car. This makes a huge difference fyi. Brakes / coilovers / etc, are all available and is a slippery slope just like any other car. Front wheel bearings can be problematic, but not horribly so. Cooling is awesome and is one of the only higher HP cars that can run in 90+ heat without going into limp mode.

While not GT3 territory for laptimes, it can be faster than most cars with minimal investment and the F80 has a back seat!
Are we even certain that any of these crank hub "fixes" actually solve the problem? Personally, I would take the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach. Reported spun crank hubs on here are so few and far between its hard to even call it a real issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #10
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I tracked my '15 F80 multiple times, including all day in 90F temps (stock except for Pagid RS29 pads, upgraded non-synthetic brake fluid and Bridgestone RE-71R tires). Although I've always been at stock hp/torque (which doesn't fully answer your question) - I can certainly vouch for the punishment this car can take lap after lap, session after session. I've come back from each track session not only thinking about how much fun I had, but also amazed at how the car just keeps coming back for more abuse!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #11
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonSeth View Post
Once I get my first few rock chips and full 9k RPM screams on the street I will turn it over to some track time.
Nothing beats 9,000 RPM

I heard one take off the other day from the lights - sounded so sexy - I can only image what 9k RPM must sound like.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I believe since ymthe e92 m3 era the m3 cars have taken extreme track abuse with the same recipe: brake fluid and pads for the track plus good track tires ( re71r is fine). E46 era and before had their issues with subframes, front tower mushrooming etc. Rod bearings on the e92 werent really a track issue and spun hubs on f80 is more of a tuned power issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like the hub spinning will be my only concern with a BM3 91 octane tune on my DCT car, should it be tracked.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like the hub spinning will be my only concern with a BM3 91 octane tune on my DCT car, should it be tracked.
Get an extended warranty and enjoy the F80 for all you can. Put on better brakes, get some negative camber and a set of slicks and you'll be more than impressed what that car can do!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
(Porsche had issues too - Mezger IMS). !
Details? I haven't come across this one
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Details? I haven't come across this one
997.1 911 (non GT and Turbo) had an IMS issue that stacks up to be quite costly if failed. Not a speculative issue (seemingly like the F80 crank) but a well-documented issue for a good amount of cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
viva_brasil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 30 Jahre 6MT

The metzgers are bulletproof. It's the non-metzger 996 and 997.1 motors. Intermediate shaft bearing failure.

My plan is camber, tires, pads
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
997.1 911 (non GT and Turbo) . .
Those are not Mezger engine cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #19
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I’d say if you’re not into drifting, then stock power is ok on track. More power may necessitate more mechanical grip. The most useful mods for me have been pads, fluid, camber plates and wheels/tires. Never felt the need for more power, just for more skill.

For instance, I was faster than all the power F8x modified cars at VIR and Watkins Glen. I just don’t think extra power makes it faster, at least in the hands of regular Joes like me, and on stock suspension. YMMV.

With these basic mods, the F80 is plenty fast on track.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0