Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Steel brake wear question

Hi,

I have the steel brakes and have 19,000 km on the clock, including around 12 laps on the Nordschleife. My pad wear indicator in the idrive says I have 170,000km left on the front pads and 140,000km left on the rear pads. Is this normal? Just seems a bit too durable so to speak. And no, I don't drive like a grandma..

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

The stock pads will last 4-6 track weekends with proper brake management. The estimated brake replaced indicator is entered in manually by your service team. Not an accurate estimation based on abnormal driving style (tracking).
      06-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The stock pads will last 4-6 track weekends with proper brake management. The estimated brake replaced indicator is entered in manually by your service team. Not an accurate estimation based on abnormal driving style (tracking).
Are you sure about that?

My understanding is that the iDrive brake replacement interval indicator is based on an algorithm that uses driving conditions to estimate brake wear. It is just reset by the "service team" to a default value when new pads are installed.

I also seriously doubt that stock pads will last 8 to 12 track days. My stock pads were worn down to about 20% left after only 3 track days.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Are you sure about that?

My understanding is that the iDrive brake replacement interval indicator is based on an algorithm that uses driving conditions to estimate brake wear. It is just reset by the "service team" to a default value when new pads are installed.

I also seriously doubt that stock pads will last 8 to 12 track days. My stock pads were worn down to about 20% left after only 3 track days.
IDrive counts down how many times you use the brake, duration, speed, and force. It makes a guess of when you need pads next. When you take the car in for an oil change do measure the brakes to re-calibrate the true mm left on the pads.

I'm not 100% sure on the F8x stock pads. I based it off of the E92 M3 guys who have tracked their cars with stock pads. I have 80% brake left, 11k miles and 1 track weekend. I take it easy on the brakes the last lap to let the brakes cool off. Going to RPM next weekend with the stock pads and ATE TYP200 fluid. We get one free brake replacement so I haven't switched to track pads.
      06-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
IDrive counts down how many times you use the brake, duration, speed, and force. It makes a guess of when you need pads next. When you take the car in for an oil change do measure the brakes to re-calibrate the true mm left on the pads.
That's interesting. I did not know that. On my E92, I could only reset the brake replacement mileage to a given default value, so I assumed it was the same on the F8X.

I'll make sure to check it out on my M4 .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's interesting. I did not know that. On my E92, I could only reset the brake replacement mileage to a given default value, so I assumed it was the same on the F8X.

I'll make sure to check it out on my M4 .
That's what I've been told by 2 SAs now (not specific to the F8x, but all the other iDrive cars I've had). They could be b'sing to make me feel that they're doing more than just an oil change. Also, never let the pads wear down until the sensor goes off. The sensor has a wire, once it hits the wear limit the wire will short to indicate the urgent need to replace the brakes. You then need to replace the pads AND the sensor. The sensor can be re-used as long as you don't let it wear past the trip point.
Attached Images

06-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I've been told by 2 SAs now (not specific to the F8x, but all the other iDrive cars I've had). They could be b'sing to make me feel that they're doing more than just an oil change. Also, never let the pads wear down until the sensor goes off. The sensor has a wire, once it hits the wear limit the wire will short to indicate the urgent need to replace the brakes. You then need to replace the pads AND the sensor. The sensor can be re-used as long as you don't let it wear past the trip point.
Agreed. I don't even plug the sensors to the pads at all, I tie-wrap my them to the suspension. With the heat of track use, the sensors become brittle a crumble to pieces.

My understanding is that the brake pad replacement prediction in the iDrive and the pad wear sensors are not related. Both would trigger a similar alarm, but the signal comes from two distinct and indepenedent source.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Agreed. I don't even plug the sensors to the pads at all, I tie-wrap my them to the suspension. With the heat of track use, the sensors become brittle a crumble to pieces.

My understanding is that the brake pad replacement prediction in the iDrive and the pad wear sensors are not related. Both would trigger a similar alarm, but the signal comes from two distinct and indepenedent source.
Great tip on not plugging the sensor in. I've never thought about doing that, lol. Yes, iDrive is software estimation and the sensor is the hard indicator.