Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #1
nobby810996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Bizarre end of warranty loophole / warning

Apologies, a lengthy post, but thought it worth sharing in case it helps just 1 other person. If it wasn’t real it would actually be funny.

Being a long time our purchaser of new BMWs, and always taking out a full BMW extended warranty when the 3 years manufactures warranty expires I thought I was covered for everything. Apparently not!
September 23 car went in for end of warranty check, came back clear. A month later after starting a new job in a new town I used my rarely used surround view cameras to navigate a tricky multi-storey car park. Drivers side camera didn’t work (rest were ok). Nuisance but not the end of the world. Took to my local dealer to diagnose and fix, and pushed for it to be covered under full warranty since we were only a month past the full warranty expiring (£0 excess to me rather than £250 excess I took under extended warranty). Unfortunately they said they couldn’t as I had purchased the extended warranty, if I hadn’t they could but a bit of a computer says no moment. Left it at that and resigned myself to needing to cough up the excess under extended warranty. Decided to leave it a couple of months in case anything else cropped up. Fast forward 3 months and I decide to get it booked in for repair under extended warranty. Call came from dealer that they couldn’t claim under the extended warranty as the fault existed pre me taking the policy out. Bizarre I thought. You’re telling me the fault was picked up at the end of warranty check, but you didn’t fix it, and you didn’t tell me at the time, and now I can’t claim? Yes was the answer. We can only claim to fix things at the end of warranty check that are safety related or if the customer alerts us to them.
Currently going through a complaints process with BMW but not getting very far at the moment.
So a question to ask at the end of the warranty period is whether there were any faults showing up at all on the diagnostics that you should be made aware of!!!
Appreciate 1
makkan00887.50
      04-14-2024, 02:59 PM   #2
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby810996 View Post
Apologies, a lengthy post, but thought it worth sharing in case it helps just 1 other person. If it wasn’t real it would actually be funny.

Being a long time our purchaser of new BMWs, and always taking out a full BMW extended warranty when the 3 years manufactures warranty expires I thought I was covered for everything. Apparently not!
September 23 car went in for end of warranty check, came back clear. A month later after starting a new job in a new town I used my rarely used surround view cameras to navigate a tricky multi-storey car park. Drivers side camera didn’t work (rest were ok). Nuisance but not the end of the world. Took to my local dealer to diagnose and fix, and pushed for it to be covered under full warranty since we were only a month past the full warranty expiring (£0 excess to me rather than £250 excess I took under extended warranty). Unfortunately they said they couldn’t as I had purchased the extended warranty, if I hadn’t they could but a bit of a computer says no moment. Left it at that and resigned myself to needing to cough up the excess under extended warranty. Decided to leave it a couple of months in case anything else cropped up. Fast forward 3 months and I decide to get it booked in for repair under extended warranty. Call came from dealer that they couldn’t claim under the extended warranty as the fault existed pre me taking the policy out. Bizarre I thought. You’re telling me the fault was picked up at the end of warranty check, but you didn’t fix it, and you didn’t tell me at the time, and now I can’t claim? Yes was the answer. We [...]
Seems terrible customer service here as they should have picked this up and fixed or honour your ext warranty. BMW from my experience are not the best when wanting to fix under warranty as they will look to get approval from Germany at times rather than do what’s right as the franchisee has to fix and claim back from BMW hence the hesitation I think.
Appreciate 0