Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #265
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

I always drive in s2 and shift by myself, but find it very smooth if I come to a full stop just braking from say <30 mph and letting the DCT shift down to 1st by itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #266
omgwtfbbqm4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvehound View Post
1) Slowing for a stoplight in S or D mode, when the DCT shifts itself from 3rd to 2nd, the shift is very “clunky” (ie the car slows abruptly). Is there any way to make it smoother? Obviously I can shift into neutral when I am coasting to a light, but is there any other way? I have tried riding the brake a little or the throttle - both help somewhat but it does not always avoid the abrupt shift.
The trick is to brake harder and slow down quicker. I find what's happening is that if you brake too softly, it'll shift 3rd->2nd but then disengage 2nd a second later. 2nd gear has a ton of engine braking power. This is what you're feeling. If you brake harder and stop quicker, the car will skip engaging 2nd and just coast from 3rd->disengage instead of 3rd->2nd(for a second)->disengage
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #267
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Yeah the DCT actually had a bit of a learning curve. I'm 1500 miles in and still get the buckin bronco every once and a while
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #268
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

So, in other words, when I get my M3 and pull into the garage the first time, I'm going to slam into the beer fridge.
      01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #269
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

The M DCT works different than a tradition auto, it behaves more like a true manual without the third pedal.

After a stop and you release the brake, the car is basically in "clutch pressed in" mode, its not until you tap on the gas, that it "releases the clutch pedal"

I was in an Adui S4 previous to the M and it was the double clutch, but acted more like an auto as it would creep in gear as soon as you let off the brake.

The M is only my second car with a dual clutch, so I don't know how Porsches, Ferrari's work, but I like the M DCT as it acts more like a true manual.

My issue isn't with the clutch engaging, but sometimes when accelerating in 1st the car will buck and jerk. I don't think that is related to the clutch, but maybe the driveline, I am not sure.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #270
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
With regard to S mode in particular, don't let the transmission downshift itself. It is only downshifting for you at the very last opportunity to avoid a stall. Think of this situation as similar to driving a car with a manual transmission when the you forget to clutch in or downshift while coming to a stop and the car begins to shudder as the driveshaft's RPM threatens to pull the engine below idle RPM. It may not be quite that dire, but you are nevertheless calling on the TCU to rescue you in a similar way. Instead, you should be properly downshifting as RPM falls. I generally avoid any RPM below 2K, except in first gear of course. If you use S1 you can also choose to stay in second gear (car will not try to go to first gear).

Now I don't use D mode, but in that case if you choose D3 or, I believe D2, the car should be aggressive enough with rev matching to keep RPM from falling too low.

Also, if you are coasting to a stop rather than braking, this typically causes the car to hold gears longer as well. So, for example, if you combine engine braking with not manually downshifting with the least aggressive Drivelogic settings, you are achieving the trifecta of poor transmission dynamics.

By the way, you should never need to use neutral in normal, day-to-day driving. Disconnecting the engine from the wheels is generally not good practice regardless of which type of transmission we are talking about. You want to be able to use the throttle effectively to change speed at a moments notice. And, especially when cornering, you want to be able to affect the cars tragectory with throttle input.
Thanks to all for the helpful posts - sorry for the delayed reply back.
Based on some of the posts I think I was not very clear. The only time I have had trouble with the DCT shifting “unsmoothly” is when I am coasting to a stop. Under most normal driving conditions, I think this DCT is significantly more smooth and predictable than the previous generation.

Mkosel, I think your suggestions to shift down manually when slowing to a stop is a good one. I will try that and also take yours and others advice to brake harder.

I only was shifting to N when I was coming to a stoplight. I agree that it is not wise to go to N when driving.

Thanks again
Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #271
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
1)

2) Lightly tap the throttle, LIGHTLY. It goes into creap mode. The catch is that when cold creap mode is lunge mode and scary! Wait for the cold start to drop below 1000 rpms.

Us Ian's got to stick together.
Thanks Ian

Yes, I think the problem has been exaggerated by the cold weather, making the idle faster when I am pulling out of the garage in the morning. I will try to be more patient.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #272
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
So, in other words, when I get my M3 and pull into the garage the first time, I'm going to slam into the beer fridge.
Yes you will. It is inevitable. Try to remember to empty the fridge before your first drive.

Enjoy the car

Ian
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #273
m4pewpew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
With regard to S mode in particular, don't let the transmission downshift itself. It is only downshifting for you at the very last opportunity to avoid a stall. Think of this situation as similar to driving a car with a manual transmission when the you forget to clutch in or downshift while coming to a stop and the car begins to shudder as the driveshaft's RPM threatens to pull the engine below idle RPM. It may not be quite that dire, but you are nevertheless calling on the TCU to rescue you in a similar way. Instead, you should be properly downshifting as RPM falls. I generally avoid any RPM below 2K, except in first gear of course. If you use S1 you can also choose to stay in second gear (car will not try to go to first gear).

Now I don't use D mode, but in that case if you choose D3 or, I believe D2, the car should be aggressive enough with rev matching to keep RPM from falling too low.

Also, if you are coasting to a stop rather than braking, this typically causes the car to hold gears longer as well. So, for example, if you combine engine braking with not manually downshifting with the least aggressive Drivelogic settings, you are achieving the trifecta of poor transmission dynamics.

By the way, you should never need to use neutral in normal, day-to-day driving. Disconnecting the engine from the wheels is generally not good practice regardless of which type of transmission we are talking about. You want to be able to use the throttle effectively to change speed at a moments notice. And, especially when cornering, you want to be able to affect the cars tragectory with throttle input.
So with DCT, I've developed this habit of letting the car downshift for me from 2nd to 1st to get the smoothest shift. Is this bad for the car?
7/7/14: On the waiting list | 9/8/14: Order submitted | 10/2/14: Order approved. Production number received | 11/7/14: In Production | 11/15/14: End of production | 11/21/14: En route to the US | 12/7/14: Finishing touches | 12/13/14: At the dealer | 12/15/14: Car in garage
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #274
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

^ No. In fact it's probably better, as the tranny can choose the optimal conditions at which to shift.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #275
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Actually no, if you are not in cold startup mode you should be fine. The trick is learning how to engage creep mode. You need to very very lightly tap the throttle, not enough to even blip the throttle. It will engage and creep forward. Think of it as a centrifugal clutch. You can also modulate it with your left foot on the brake.

All of the above, is null and void if you're in cold startup mode. Cold startup mode + creep mode = lunge forward at the speed of light mode. That is very scary.

Last edited by tke743; 01-31-2016 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #276
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4pewpew View Post
So with DCT, I've developed this habit of letting the car downshift for me from 2nd to 1st to get the smoothest shift. Is this bad for the car?
I presume from context you are speaking specifically with respect to S mode. In D mode you obviously don't need to worry about shifting at all.

The answer is no. The transmission's software is designed to protect the car from stalling. But even if the car would actually allow a stall, it wouldn't particularly be bad for the car (though I suppose it could cause unnecessary clutch slippage). Now, in 2nd gear the car will creep around at idle RPM anyway, so there isn't the same necessity to select 1st gear. The anti-stall mechanism is really only a factor in higher gears, such as 3rd to 2nd as the OP mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #277
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
I presume from context you are speaking specifically with respect to S mode. In D mode you obviously don't need to worry about shifting at all.

The answer is no. The transmission's software is designed to protect the car from stalling. But even if the car would actually allow a stall, it wouldn't particularly be bad for the car (though I suppose it could cause unnecessary clutch slippage). Now, in 2nd gear the car will creep around at idle RPM anyway, so there isn't the same necessity to select 1st gear. The anti-stall mechanism is really only a factor in higher gears, such as 3rd to 2nd as the OP mentioned.
Can a DCT ever stall?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #278
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to all for the helpful posts - sorry for the delayed reply back.
Based on some of the posts I think I was not very clear. The only time I have had trouble with the DCT shifting “unsmoothly” is when I am coasting to a stop. Under most normal driving conditions, I think this DCT is significantly more smooth and predictable than the previous generation.

Mkosel, I think your suggestions to shift down manually when slowing to a stop is a good one. I will try that and also take yours and others advice to brake harder.

I only was shifting to N when I was coming to a stoplight. I agree that it is not wise to go to N when driving.

Thanks again
Ian
(1.) I always drive in S (manually) but I never downshift unless I want to engine brake, like on the freeway, or punch it ... like on the freeway or other times

If I'm coming up to a stoplight I just apply the brake, don't touch the gears, and there's zero downshift sensation in any way ... the numbers just change from 5 down to 1 or whatever. Nobody would ever know the car was downshifting.

I think if you're driving in "3" in either mode the car is going to shift hard so if you want smooth you should be in 1. That said, again, no matter what S settings I have, I just use the brake and get no down shift jerkiness in any way.

(2.) For reverse, and starting out, it helped me to realize that the accelerator pedal is a combined clutch and accelerator. So the same car behavior in an MT happens when pushing the accelerator - you're letting out the clutch until the car "catches" and then it's ready to go so no different than a manual in reverse. I've just learned that the first few centimeters of travel are the clutch and the rest is the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #279
pertierr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Am I the only one who is having these issues?
Ian
No, you're not imagining it. This is my first DCT ever and like you I was surprised, I expected it to behave like an automatic except shift faster, but it really is a different beast.

Part of me thinks this is just the price to pay for such lightning quick shifts, and it is a low price.

However, my other side thinks that the software could be refined quite a bit.

Does anyone know if there have been any firmware updates for the DCT on this car?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #280
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Can a DCT ever stall?
I wouldn't say never, but a properly functioning one shouldn't. I have had my car sputter and lurch on occasion when I've forgotten to downshift (I use S3 mode exclusively). It isn't something to dwell on and be concerned about, but it is still important to know how the transmission operates and how to get the best experience from it.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #281
m4pewpew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Thanks!!
7/7/14: On the waiting list | 9/8/14: Order submitted | 10/2/14: Order approved. Production number received | 11/7/14: In Production | 11/15/14: End of production | 11/21/14: En route to the US | 12/7/14: Finishing touches | 12/13/14: At the dealer | 12/15/14: Car in garage
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #282
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I let the car downshift in S mode as I found sometimes when I am in 3rd and I downshift, only to find that I initiated the downshift at the same time that the car was doing a 3 to 2 and I end up in 1st at undesirable speeds. I guess my timing is bad so I initiate upshifts and let the car downshift in manual mode!
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #283
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't think this valet received the "How to drive a DCT" memo

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:41 AM   #284
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Huh...

I didn't realize S downshifted for you... Maybe I can try playing a bit with S now...

Learning something new each day~
      02-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #285
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I generally avoid any RPM below 2K, except in first gear of course.
That's interesting.

When puttering around on the DD, I rarely have the revs ABOVE 2K, except in 1st gear.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #286
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Then there is no reason to have an M! For DD driving on local roads, u never need to get out of 3rd-4th max. Drive the beast like its made to
Appreciate 0