Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #45
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
I have BM3 and MHD, I like them both but I can tell you that if you're going to stick with just OTS maps, MHD all day. You get all of their Stage 0 > Stage 2+ maps included with their license including multimap support. They both have rolling anti-lag and while I like MHD's choice of button to activate much better, BM3s really gives you a rocket feel whereas MHD doesn't (with OTS settings, a tuner can push it to BM3 levels).

Now if you are going to get a tuner, both are equally awesome but BM3 seems to be more popular in the US, especially with full E85 tunes.

If you are looking for another level of OTS tuning, MHD does have both their very own ECA unit which provides a free Flex fuel OTS tune (yes you read that right) and they also have native support for the Motiv Re|Flex. I asked BM3 if they have Motiv support they said ask Motiv. I kind of left it at that but I can't imagine it not being compatible but it's nice to have that native app support.

I'm currently running MHD with a custom Flex tune by Wedge Performance and it's putting down some big numbers with a safe AF:R and stock like idling quality.

GL!
      10-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #46
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

I have bm3 and honestly I think they are both honing to be similar in a way you can't tell unless you were to drive a car with each tune separately. I will say I've run many tunes in previous cars and the bm3 is by far the best. Absolutely no hiccups, issues, crazy power, user friendly. I wouldn't focus on which tune produces the highest numbers as every car is different and there's no way anyone can tell you for sure an ots map on one platform will make more power than the other. Also it's about how the power is delivered. I've dynod mine and data logged it. Very smooth power delivery but also it's so much I had to reduce torque in 1 and 2 gears (dct) bevsuse the tires spin at partial throttle. My car still breaks loose the tires at 45-50 mph when downshifting and flooring it! I'd look to see if you have any custom tuners near you and what platform they prefer and choose based off that…
Either way you will be blown away!
      10-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #47
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

I know you didn't ask about this so I might get some slack about it, but I went from BM3 to Carbahn stage 1 and it's a night and day difference. Carbahn is a bit more money, but it's from Steven Dinan and he's doing crazy crap on these S55 engines. I feel a bit more secure knowing it's through a dealership and Steve Dinan. The only issue is you have to find a dealership you trust. I found a great one here in Durham, NC and they are cranking out Carbhan stage 2 and 3 cars, not just M3s. Check out Carbahn...it's pretty sick.

Caveat is that if you want super aggressive burbles and stuff, you won't get that with Carbahn but power you feel is completely different. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #48
cobra2814
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hworang00 View Post
I know you didn't ask about this so I might get some slack about it, but I went from BM3 to Carbahn stage 1 and it's a night and day difference. Carbahn is a bit more money, but it's from Steven Dinan and he's doing crazy crap on these S55 engines. I feel a bit more secure knowing it's through a dealership and Steve Dinan. The only issue is you have to find a dealership you trust. I found a great one here in Durham, NC and they are cranking out Carbhan stage 2 and 3 cars, not just M3s. Check out Carbahn...it's pretty sick.

Caveat is that if you want super aggressive burbles and stuff, you won't get that with Carbahn but power you feel is completely different. Just my 2 cents.
Does your Carbahn tune feel as fast as the BM3 tune? Did you get a chance to dyno either tunes? Just curious as I'm going to install a tune soon myself.
      10-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #49
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2814 View Post
Does your Carbahn tune feel as fast as the BM3 tune? Did you get a chance to dyno either tunes? Just curious as I'm going to install a tune soon myself.
I've been asked to give some testimonials for other customers and I'll type out what I usually say: "The BM3 was a good tune. It made the car feel fast and fun. But the Carbahn tune, it makes me afraid of my car just a little in the best ways possible." I never dyno'ed the two different tunes but I love the Carbahn tune. You can check out their website for numbers and what the packages and stuff entails. It's weird because their stages just require more cooling mainly. Interesting stuff! I put a link to their stuff below.

The Carbahn M3 page
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2021, 12:16 AM   #50
cobra2814
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hworang00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2814 View Post
I've been asked to give some testimonials for other customers and I'll type out what I usually say: "The BM3 was a good tune. It made the car feel fast and fun. But the Carbahn tune, it makes me afraid of my car just a little in the best ways possible." I never dyno'ed the two different tunes but I love the Carbahn tune. You can check out their website for numbers and what the packages and stuff entails. It's weird because their stages just require more cooling mainly. Interesting stuff! I put a link to their stuff below.

The Carbahn M3 page
Thank you!
      10-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #51
denim_f80
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, E82 1M, F10 M5

BM3 is so much easier to use, much more options
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #52
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denim_f80 View Post
BM3 is so much easier to use, much more options
I agree, but I fried my ECU so for me it was a set and forget and I'm a little shy of doing it again. I do agree that BM3 is easier to use and has more options but the Carbahn is vetted by one of the best in the industry (according to my unqualified opinion) and it's more bite than bark so I like it. Everyone has their own preference but I love the Carbahn tune and won't go back to the others any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #53
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
Im actually in the process of deciding what tune to get too. Hope someone can chime in why they like mhd over bm3
Never heard someone liking mhd over bm3
Actually, a lot of ppl have compared and end up with bm3
Seen a few of my close friends try mhd or ecutek because of the map switching crap but the tuners response time along with other annoyances came right back to BM3

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #54
Beko1994
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2018 ZCP

I had bm3 st2 on my car and i switched to MHD. The biggest difference i can tell is that mhd is way more easier to use, with bm3 all the torque hits at lower rpms and on mhd the torque hits higher in the rpms. With bm3 i was losing traction in any 1-2-3 gear at around 4-5rpms, with mhd i lose traction up in the rpms and i can easily hook with 2 and 3rd. I tried to sell the bm3 licence but I'm having difficulty of doing it( their customer service is not great as everyone says, they will reply immediately but they will not fix the problem). And another thing that i forgot, on bm3 i had lot of timing corrections and knocking, on mhd i have way less corrections and zero knocking. Would i go back to bm3? I don't think so.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2021, 01:45 AM   #55
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beko1994 View Post
I had bm3 st2 on my car and i switched to MHD. The biggest difference i can tell is that mhd is way more easier to use, with bm3 all the torque hits at lower rpms and on mhd the torque hits higher in the rpms. With bm3 i was losing traction in any 1-2-3 gear at around 4-5rpms, with mhd i lose traction up in the rpms and i can easily hook with 2 and 3rd. I tried to sell the bm3 licence but I'm having difficulty of doing it( their customer service is not great as everyone says, they will reply immediately but they will not fix the problem). And another thing that i forgot, on bm3 i had lot of timing corrections and knocking, on mhd i have way less corrections and zero knocking. Would i go back to bm3? I don't think so.
Cool story bro
Appreciate 0