Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-16-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

AL Priority System

Anyone have an AL Priority System installed? If you search using their site, it looks like the only local certified dealer is Hurley's Auto Audio.

If you had it installed by them...any feedback regarding your overall experience? Are there alternative options?

**I have radar covered and am only looking for laser defense. Also, I am sold on ALP and not interested in comparable systems**
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
AJJ3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I had the ALP installed on my m4 and x5m. Hurley did my install for both cars but after watching my friend remove my ALP from my x5m, I'm going to have him install my ALP on my next car and save myself alot of money. For the f80 I would recommend 2 rx and 1tx up front and 2 rx and 1 tx in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJJ3 View Post
I had the ALP installed on my m4 and x5m. Hurley did my install for both cars but after watching my friend remove my ALP from my x5m, I'm going to have him install my ALP on my next car and save myself alot of money. For the f80 I would recommend 2 rx and 1tx up front and 2 rx and 1 tx in the rear.
Thanks! I was thinking the same but w/o the 1tx in the rear. Thoughts? I can understand why on the X5 but is it necessary on a F8X? Not questioning or challenging...just looking for insight given your direct experience w/the system.

Also, what are your thoughts on the following...

- Voice Vs. Sound alerts. Is it worth the extra $?
- How often are updates released? If it is often, is it fair to assume Bluetooth is the way to go? Are there any other advantages to taking on ~$100?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
AJJ3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Thanks! I was thinking the same but w/o the 1tx in the rear. Thoughts? I can understand why on the X5 but is it necessary on a F8X? Not questioning or challenging...just looking for insight given your direct experience w/the system.

Also, what are your thoughts on the following...

- Voice Vs. Sound alerts. Is it worth the extra $?
- How often are updates released? If it is often, is it fair to assume Bluetooth is the way to go? Are there any other advantages to taking on ~$100?

Thanks in advance!!
Certain laser guns can beat the 2 rx setup on the year. So a Tx is definitely needed.

I used voice alerts and pro mode.

Updates come out randomly but it easy to update the alp. Takes about 5min.

I did not have Bluetooth just hifi. I could control everything with the keypad.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #5
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

I'm on my second iteration of an ALP setup in my car now and will also recommend 3 heads in total up front on an F8x, even better if one is a Tx. I don't search for updates on mine frequently, but can't say I notice new software more than once a year I'd say.

To me, the BT module makes things much easier to control through their iOS native app, especially when you think about the functionality of the wired keypad. Typically you'd have that setup so that a single press of the right-hand button puts the system into 'parking mode'. And you need to double tap to change which profile you're running - on the same button. The buttons are small and when driving on anything rougher than glass it's quite possible to not notice the very gentle tactile button press feedback. Where I'm going here is with the BT module and your phone controlling the show, there's no chance you go into a mode that leaves you exposed unintentionally.

Yes, the LED should be telling you all of this, but once you run the system a while you'll realize it's yellow/amber for spells routinely and you may cross up the parking mode with a cool-down timer mode or city/highway/custom, etc.

The backside to this though is your alerts come through bluetooth now. So if you're blasting music, the alerts are horribly loud - I've not been able to control their volume independently but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Sometimes I prefer to leave the BT not connected and for those times the voice box has been nice to have.

Also - voice box is useful through troubleshooting and messaging at POST if your system goes live at ignition on, but your phone isn't connected to the ALP yet. Same goes when it comes to profile, GPS, and parking status messaging. If I am out on a drive with friends or a road trip, I want to get in the car after stopping, start and go - not watch for a specific count of flashes, or pull out a book to figure what the led sequence is trying to tell me? Did I just lose GPS signal b/c I'm in mountains - ok, whatever. Do I have a failing head that's not going live properly? Houston, we have a concern.

FWIW I had my first gps antenna start to fail - with the bluetooth module I was able to switch the speed for each alert type using my phones GPS as the source so that I wasn't getting alerts everywhere while in town at low speeds.

Maybe I'm disjointed, it's been a long ass few days with low sleep here - any questions, shoot a PM.

*oh, one other thing - be conscious of led placement. it is BRIGHT at night. I have a profile dedicated to night time driving where I have it on brightness = 1, and when it gets a hit, there is no difference in the red in that mode or any other mode. It's full bright. Had I known that I may have moved mine a little bit, but it's acceptable to me as is. If I had put it in another spot I was considering it would have been an issue.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap

Last edited by RowanBuds; 06-16-2021 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I'm on my second iteration of an ALP setup in my car now and will also recommend 3 heads in total up front on an F8x, even better if one is a Tx. I don't search for updates on mine frequently, but can't say I notice new software more than once a year I'd say.

To me, the BT module makes things much easier to control through their iOS native app, especially when you think about the functionality of the wired keypad. Typically you'd have that setup so that a single press of the right-hand button puts the system into 'parking mode'. And you need to double tap to change which profile you're running - on the same button. The buttons are small and when driving on anything rougher than glass it's quite possible to not notice the very gentle tactile button press feedback. Where I'm going here is with the BT module and your phone controlling the show, there's no chance you go into a mode that leaves you exposed unintentionally.

Yes, the LED should be telling you all of this, but once you run the system a while you'll realize it's yellow/amber for spells routinely and you may cross up the parking mode with a cool-down timer mode or city/highway/custom, etc.

The backside to this though is your alerts come through bluetooth now. So if you're blasting music, the alerts are horribly loud - I've not been able to control their volume independently but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Sometimes I prefer to leave the BT not connected and for those times the voice box has been nice to have.

Also - voice box is useful through troubleshooting and messaging at POST if your system goes live at ignition on, but your phone isn't connected to the ALP yet. Same goes when it comes to profile, GPS, and parking status messaging. If I am out on a drive with friends or a road trip, I want to get in the car after stopping, start and go - not watch for a specific count of flashes, or pull out a book to figure what the led sequence is trying to tell me? Did I just lose GPS signal b/c I'm in mountains - ok, whatever. Do I have a failing head that's not going live properly? Houston, we have a concern.

FWIW I had my first gps antenna start to fail - with the bluetooth module I was able to switch the speed for each alert type using my phones GPS as the source so that I wasn't getting alerts everywhere while in town at low speeds.

Maybe I'm disjointed, it's been a long ass few days with low sleep here - any questions, shoot a PM.

*oh, one other thing - be conscious of led placement. it is BRIGHT at night. I have a profile dedicated to night time driving where I have it on brightness = 1, and when it gets a hit, there is no difference in the red in that mode or any other mode. It's full bright. Had I known that I may have moved mine a little bit, but it's acceptable to me as is. If I had put it in another spot I was considering it would have been an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post

Very much appreciate the detailed response. Nothing better than getting feedback from actual users. I will PM.
Appreciate 0