GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #243
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
I finally got a straight answer out of someone on what the extended warranty plans cost. Man that was hard.

Platinum (full coverage like the original warranty)
5 yrs 75,000 miles $5349.00

Gold (some exclusions)
6 yrs 100K $5649.00

Powertrain warranty (only for major component failures)
6 yrs. 100 k $3949.00

Now at least we all have something to compare against to see if we really are getting a deal!

Good luck. I will be buying mine right before the four year warranty is up.
Surprised no one corrected this. No EW, Platinum or otherwise, is like the original warranty.

There are many, MANY exclusions. And diagnostic time is almost always limited to 1 hour, unlike original warranty. The first claim I had took 3 hours to identify where a short was in my KCAN wiring. They had told me it could have taken up to 10 hours to narrow it down.

After problem was identified, they did cover it from that point, but only covered 1 hour of diagnostic time so I could have easily been on the hook for 4 figures just in diagnostic time.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #244
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Sorry this got long...

I have Geico MBI on my M3. The deductible per breakdown incident is $350, and windshield replacements are $50 (rock chip repairs are free), but these deductibles only apply if you use their recommended shop. And yes, they tell you that you can take it anywhere you want for repairs, including the dealer, but there's a catch.

Hopefully my windshield replacement experience was isolated to the glass coverage aspect of MBI, but here's what happened with me when I had a crack in mine.

I called Geico, they suggested Safelite, I said because of the electronics I wanted to go through the dealer. They said fine but warned me that if I didn't use their recommended shop they would only reimburse me for the "market repair cost for my area". I asked what that was and they said something like $900, I don't remember the exact number.

I went to the dealer, told the SA that I was going through Geico, asked what the cost was, he said estimate was $2300. I told him what Geico said and he told me to push back, they'd cave on it. Gave me the whole spiel about how any water damage to electronics wouldn't be covered by BMW if they didn't replace it. I rolled the dice and had the dealer do the replacement.

They kept the car overnight (gave me a loaner which was nice), final bill came to $2100 & change, I submitted my claim and a couple weeks later Geico sent me a check for $1300. I fought with them on it but wasn't successful, so I figure lesson learned.

Funny thing is a week after I got the new windshield I got a rock chip on the freeway (bad luck). I took it to Safelite and asked them who does the windshield replacements at the BMW dealer, they said Safelite does it! They send a guy out...

Now I don't know if this is isolated to their glass coverage, but I do worry that if I do have a breakdown in the future and need to use the MBI that they won't reimburse me for the full repair cost if I don't take the car to whatever shop they send me to. I don't know what shop they would suggest for me, but knowing how much more dealers are for repairs, I worry if something major went wrong down the road and I wasn't comfortable with the shop they direct me to.

Also, another big factor to think about if you go with Geico MBI - If you don't use their shop then you have to pay the repair costs upfront, then submit a claim for reimbursement.
While true for windshield replacements, I don't think your info on Geico MBI is correct.

You can take it to the dealer and Geico will reimburse the cost to fix the vehicle.

They don't have a cap on labor costs (as long as it's within reason).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #245
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Sorry this got long...

I have Geico MBI on my M3. The deductible per breakdown incident is $350, and windshield replacements are $50 (rock chip repairs are free), but these deductibles only apply if you use their recommended shop. And yes, they tell you that you can take it anywhere you want for repairs, including the dealer, but there's a catch.

Hopefully my windshield replacement experience was isolated to the glass coverage aspect of MBI, but here's what happened with me when I had a crack in mine.

I called Geico, they suggested Safelite, I said because of the electronics I wanted to go through the dealer. They said fine but warned me that if I didn't use their recommended shop they would only reimburse me for the "market repair cost for my area". I asked what that was and they said something like $900, I don't remember the exact number.

I went to the dealer, told the SA that I was going through Geico, asked what the cost was, he said estimate was $2300. I told him what Geico said and he told me to push back, they'd cave on it. Gave me the whole spiel about how any water damage to electronics wouldn't be covered by BMW if they didn't replace it. I rolled the dice and had the dealer do the replacement.

They kept the car overnight (gave me a loaner which was nice), final bill came to $2100 & change, I submitted my claim and a couple weeks later Geico sent me a check for $1300. I fought with them on it but wasn't successful, so I figure lesson learned.

Funny thing is a week after I got the new windshield I got a rock chip on the freeway (bad luck). I took it to Safelite and asked them who does the windshield replacements at the BMW dealer, they said Safelite does it! They send a guy out...

Now I don't know if this is isolated to their glass coverage, but I do worry that if I do have a breakdown in the future and need to use the MBI that they won't reimburse me for the full repair cost if I don't take the car to whatever shop they send me to. I don't know what shop they would suggest for me, but knowing how much more dealers are for repairs, I worry if something major went wrong down the road and I wasn't comfortable with the shop they direct me to.

Also, another big factor to think about if you go with Geico MBI - If you don't use their shop then you have to pay the repair costs upfront, then submit a claim for reimbursement.
MBI deductible is $250, while windshield replacement is covered under your comprehensive, therefore, invoking whatever deductible you set for that. So your case really had nothing to do with MBI.

Side note: Safelite replaced my windshield, and recalibrated the camera sensor. I have no complaint about the quality of work, and they are really professional. They would even come out to your workplace to do the replacement job.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #246
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Side note: Safelite replaced my windshield, and recalibrated the camera sensor. I have no complaint about the quality of work, and they are really professional. They would even come out to your workplace to do the replacement job.
I've had Safelite fix a chip and replace 4 windshields between my 135i and my wife's car. I'd say I have had mixed results with them.
  • Small crack on 135i: They did a great job fixing that, it was barely noticeable.
  • Windshield replacement on 135i: This went fine, but I didn't like the fact that they used a lot of glue to the point that I could see the excess from inside my car
  • Windshield replacement #1 on wife's car: Went well, but had water leak that we noticed when rainy season started. We didn't have a chance to get it fixed because another rock hit the windshield and it needed replacing again
  • Windshield replacement #2 on wife's car: Replacement windshield had warps that they didn't see until after installing
  • Windshield replacement #3 on wife's car: Finally this one worked out.

So if I had to get my M3's windshield replaced, I'd be really wary about having them replace it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #247
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

Everyone please go read the about the MBI with Geico. You can only get it on a car that is 15 months old and less that 15,000 miles... Copied off of their website..

"Special Protection For Your New Car
Your new car is your baby, so it deserves a little extra protection. MBI is available for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles"

That is not going to apply to most used purchases.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #248
Emmy4Me
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Talking EW via non-BMW dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
This sounds promising, can you provide a point of contact or website for more information?
Did this get a response? I actually previously solely drove Lexus and would love to buy an EW for my M4 through them if this actually worked for someone...
Appreciate 0