GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

05-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #67
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Do you think the 275 in the front will rub without spacers?

I don't really like to run spacers hehe
I think it will probably rub either way - it’s just wide and tall enough to graze the liner. A small spacer might be necessary to clear the spring perch but I didn’t try no spacer so I’m not 100% sure. I’ll take a heat gun to the liner this week to just push it in a bit more in the front and rear.

Based on my driving today I would say it’s well worth it. The car has noticeably more grip, is extremely direct, has pretty fantastic steering feel for a 275 tire. The only current downsides are that the tire picks up literally everything off the road surface and they do want to go where the road tells them to… so whether you want or or not, you’ll be more involved in the driving experience 100% of the time.
hellokitty2883.50
      05-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #68
BBDC5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

I am going to install Cup2 this Friday changing from Continental 5P. The Conti is a okay tire for regular driving but once you have stage 1, the car is sliding on 3th and 4th gear.

Hoping that Cup2 will do the trick and keep the car under control.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #69
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

hellokitty im running the fronts without a spacer now. It clears the perch and strut just fine. There is some very minimal rubbing at full lock on the front wheel well liner, but it is significantly less than with spacers. If the tread lost 1-2mm there wouldn’t be any rub. I’ll still push out my liners with a heat gun just to be sure and so that I can try some other spacer combos
Attached Images

05-16-2022, 08:50 PM   #70
BBDC5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
hellokitty im running the fronts without a spacer now. It clears the perch and strut just fine. There is some very minimal rubbing at full lock on the front wheel well liner, but it is significantly less than with spacers. If the tread lost 1-2mm there wouldn’t be any rub. I’ll still push out my liners with a heat gun just to be sure and so that I can try some other spacer combos
Quote:
hellokitty im running the fronts without a spacer now. It clears the perch and strut just fine. There is some very minimal rubbing at full lock on the front wheel well liner, but it is significantly less than with spacers. If the tread lost 1-2mm there wouldn't be any rub. I'll still push out my liners with a heat gun just to be sure and so that I can try some other spacer combos
Just following this discussion, are you rubbing because of the 275/35/19 in the front?

I am on the lowest setting on KW HAS, with 12mm spacer and installed +22 offset volk racing rims. I am not rubbing now. Does cup2 has a thicker side wall?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 11:51 PM   #71
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
Just following this discussion, are you rubbing because of the 275/35/19 in the front?

I am on the lowest setting on KW HAS, with 12mm spacer and installed +22 offset volk racing rims. I am not rubbing now. Does cup2 has a thicker side wall?
Yes it rubs on the outer portion of the front fender liner - see pic below, which is without the spacer. With the spacer it rubs even more on the outer portion. I’m also not running any additional camber right now and on stock suspension.
Attached Images

05-20-2022, 12:43 AM   #72
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post

Yes it rubs on the outer portion of the front fender liner - see pic below, which is without the spacer. With the spacer it rubs even more on the outer portion. I’m also not running any additional camber right now and on stock suspension.
The rubbing doesn't seem that bad. I've rubbed worse.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger. Surprisingly, you actually save 2 lbs per tire so you lost 4 lbs total by upsizing to the G8X tire lol

Not bad!
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7572.50
      05-20-2022, 08:36 AM   #73
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
The rubbing doesn't seem that bad. I've rubbed worse.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger. Surprisingly, you actually save 2 lbs per tire so you lost 4 lbs total by upsizing to the G8X tire lol

Not bad!
So far I’m liking them a lot even just in a daily context. Outside of improved steering, the other observable benefit is stopping distances are noticeably shorter relative to the all seasons I was on. Can’t wait to push them
      05-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #74
BBDC5
Private First Class
Rep

I just changed to cup2, maybe the continents are too worn out, I am rubbing when going 60Kms on uneven road

But who cares, it is rubber to plastic. After couple of events, the rubbing should be gone.

Overall, I like the cup2. Did not push the car today but the steering is much heavier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #75
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Got to put the Cup 2s thru its paces… well not really, but I got to lean on them a bit on some very fast roads today. See the route below, this road is unincorporated and is built entire of vast, open sweepers. My observations are:

- Immense grip: the lateral Gs I could pull and speed thru these sweepers was insane. I even cut myself off at what I would consider an absurd speed (above interstate speeds) but could easily have pushed another 20-30 mph. The potential is there… I don’t test limits in public so I can’t wait for the track next month. Cold they are 33 psi, today I got them up to 40 psi all around, so I definitely got some heat into them.
- Braking: I’m on OE pads/fluid right now, however, the braking from speed was noticeably improved over the all seasons I was running. Didnt test any limits, but did a few light trail brakes and found that the car scrub speed very efficiently and settled quite quickly to get on throttle.
- Steering feel: Really great, extremely detailed, quite elastic, and very darty. I drove my buddy’s E46 M3 right after and I preferred the F80 in its current setup, just very precise and goes exactly where you want it to. I did however really enjoy the shorter wheelbase and old school charm of the E46!
- Tramlining: oh yeah these bad boys tramline hard. It kind of makes the car an event to drive, you really have to bend it to your will sometimes - which I find very fun. I would NOT road-trip on these tires; they are way too alive for a pure highway jaunt.
- Suboptimal Conditions: today was a weird day, I drove thru beautiful sunny 65 degree weather and disgusting downpours at 42 degrees with snow on the side. The Cup 2s handled it fine. I wouldn't drive it regularly thru cold wet weather, but in the event it happens they did just fine. Keep in mind I was being very cautious and not pushing any crazy speeds in those situations (kept it around 60mph which plenty of space around me)
Attached Images

Last edited by RugbyBro; 05-22-2022 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-21-2022, 10:34 PM   #76
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Did you take 410 or i-90 over? I haven't been over that way in a long time. What's the condition of 821?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:57 PM   #77
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Did you take 410 or i-90 over? I haven't been over that way in a long time. What's the condition of 821?
I-90 directly there, ran the road to Yakima, had a beer, lunch, and coffee, ran the road back to Ellensberg, and took I-90 home. Road condition was fantastic, very smooth. Just the odd collection of rocks next to the canyon walls.
      05-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #78
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

As another update - we happened to have a quite wet, cold, and miserable couple days. My dash was telling me anywhere between 45-50F and rain ranging from full downpour to steady drizzle. Drove around town and on the freeways in all conditions. The Cup 2s worked out surprisingly well. I drove like I knew I was on Cup 2s in the cold & wet and didn't once lose traction or have any issues. I drive like a grandma on the street so YMMV, but if you treat the car like you just need to go from point A to B with no frills then they'll easily tackle the job.
phefner366.00
hellokitty2883.50
CSBM52695.50
      08-17-2022, 12:31 AM   #79
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Ran the Cup2s at the track last Sat and will again on Friday. Some general thoughts:

- Really great grip once it's warm, capable of very fast lap times given the right driver
- Very talkative on the limit and predictable over it
- Plenty of steering feel (if that matters)
- Keeping them at 34-35psi is optimal
- Never got greasy on me (I am not super fast so take that with a heaping of salt)
- Tire wear wasn't too bad, I'll likely heat cycle these out before I run the tread down.

Overall very impressed for a tire that I can daily.
      08-19-2022, 08:55 PM   #80
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Got these guys a little greasy at the track today - just took an easy lap to bring them back to life and was good after that. They will let you know when they are over the edge, quite progressive and controllable. Ran them at 35psi hot and got great communication thru the body on what the rear was doing. I am not a fast driver by any means and a fast driver can certainly manage these pretty well. Currently have 11 heat cycles on them.
Attached Images

09-22-2022, 12:37 AM   #81
csboi
Late Apexer
Rep
Drives: RS/CS

Interesting to hear you got the Cup2 greasy. My previous car (3400lbs, AWD) I had Cup2 experience and I found I could go just about a full session without letting up. By contrast, my next set of A052 would only last maximum 2 laps before greasy.

I'm fitting a set of Cup2* Connect (they didn't have regular in stock) next week with a track day on 10/2. I'll post how the Connects work out.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #82
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csboi View Post
Interesting to hear you got the Cup2 greasy. My previous car (3400lbs, AWD) I had Cup2 experience and I found I could go just about a full session without letting up. By contrast, my next set of A052 would only last maximum 2 laps before greasy.

I'm fitting a set of Cup2* Connect (they didn't have regular in stock) next week with a track day on 10/2. I'll post how the Connects work out.
Interested to hear your thoughts. Had another track day on them, so now at 15+ heat cycles - my observations:

1. Grip is still good for a couple hot laps, after which, they need to be backed off a bit. Since you're on a new set, you'll probably get a whole session no problem.

2. 34 - 36 psi hot has been working great; wearing evenly with my alignment (-2 front, -1.9 rear) Every time I've gotten up beyond that it's gotten a bit greasy without fail.
      11-17-2022, 05:56 PM   #83
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Have a chance to pick up a set of take off 295/30/18 cup2s, 1 track day on them, seller selling for $1000. Having never bought takeoffs before anything I should look for when inspecting tires? And are cup2 takeoffs even worth it (I could get new RS4 for like $1-200 more)? Im pretty sure i will offer a lower price but I don't even know what's a fair starting point.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 06:41 PM   #84
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

So I'm getting some 763M wheels with the cup2 connect (240tw) for my M2C.

As I will not be tracking and only using them in the summer how will they be for street driving?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #85
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
So I'm getting some 763M wheels with the cup2 connect (240tw) for my M2C.

As I will not be tracking and only using them in the summer how will they be for street driving?
I’d class them as an aggressive street tire that you can attend a few recreational track days with. Not a dedicated track tire. Definitely gives you more steering feedback and load up quite nicely. They also will pick up anything and everything that isn’t cemented onto the road so I’d recommend some front mudflaps. More grip and feel than PSS or PS4S at the expense of wet/cold performance. Heat cycling probably won’t be an issue for you, that really just brings down the peak grip which you won’t be driving on outside of the track.

Last edited by RugbyBro; 12-22-2022 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #86
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
I’d class them as an aggressive street tire than you can attend a few recreational track days with. Not a dedicated track tire. Definitely gives you more steering feedback and load up quite nicely. They also will pick up anything and everything that isn’t cemented onto the road so I’d recommend some front mudflaps. More grip and feel than PSS or PS4S at the expense of wet/cold performance. Heat cycling probably won’t be an issue for you, that really just brings down the peak grip which you won’t be driving on outside of the track.
Awesome, thanks.

Any particular flaps you'd recommend?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 12:28 AM   #87
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Awesome, thanks.

Any particular flaps you'd recommend?
I have a set of TLG mudflaps - I believe he makes them for F87 as well. I only run the front flaps, they help in catching most things but inevitably some debris/rocks make it past.
      12-22-2022, 12:38 AM   #88
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
I have a set of TLG mudflaps - I believe he makes them for F87 as well. I only run the front flaps, they help in catching most things but inevitably some debris/rocks make it past.
These are also pretty legit…

https://automotivepassion.net/produc...age-ap-design/
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0