Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #23
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

^ say what lol.

major bump.

idgaf anymore. car is 6 years old. yall really need to take a good assessment where you spend your energy.

and i dont mean energy washing the car.

i mean the energy freaking out if a car wash will fuck it up.

it will but srsly, that much?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 08:42 AM   #24
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Assessing that there is no cost to washing your car yourself is crazy talk! Even if you buy the standard run of the mill complete car care lineup from AutoZone, you will still have an upfront cost, then reoccurring costs to re-up your supplies. Time is money too. Car wash = 2 minutes, Hand Wash for some 1-3 hours.

For those that buy a semi nice complete at home wash system... the start up cost could be upwards of $500+.

I used a car wash for years, and didnt give 2 craps about the paint, as you can always cover up swirls with a good sealant (not all the way of course), then I'd get my car paint corrected roughly every 18 months. Recently I ceramic coated the car, and added a front lip, so car washes are out of the question at this time. IMHO, a clean car with some swirls looks far better than a dirty one without, so the car wash was a weekly routine in the winter here in Philly.

If you have the means, and the time.... do a full decontamination, apply a good sealant or ceramic coat, and perform hand washes every 2 weeks. A simple refresh with just a pressure washer should suffice in between each hand wash. If you dont have access to a hose line for some reason... do the above, and rock out your car wash self.... let ppl hate, but realize You gotta do YOU!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #25
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

Living in an apartment complex with no hose hookups here in hawaii force me to use car washes. The only problem is there isn't any hand wash/dry car washes here on island. Everything is automated.

I try to get my car detailed and ceramic coated around 6 months in. The ceramic coating holds up just fine and the paint is spotless.

Can't wait to get back on mainland so I can go back to washing my own car again.

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #26
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
Living in an apartment complex with no hose hookups here in hawaii force me to use car washes. The only problem is there isn't any hand wash/dry car washes here on island. Everything is automated.

I try to get my car detailed and ceramic coated around 6 months in. The ceramic coating holds up just fine and the paint is spotless.

Can't wait to get back on mainland so I can go back to washing my own car again.
There's always frothe
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:50 PM   #27
championofthesun
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraZulu9 View Post
car washes have screwed up my paint so many times. In my opinion it's best to wash it yourself .... Or find a good detailer. But if you're on a budget and need your car freshened up... I like those $10 hand wash places. down here in SoCal they are everywhere
Those places really can't be beat. Damn, I miss SoCal.
Appreciate 0