Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
F82 GUY
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

S55 F82 very bad misfire issue

Hey fellas,

I will make a long story short, but a family friend from another state asked me to take over the payments for his M4 due to some financial hardship. I am a BMW guy, always have been, with many turbo e36s, various E46 M3s, and my recent E92 M3. I wanted some assurances such as "make sure there are no lights in the dash... I do not want a head ache." which of course he told me not to worry since everything had just been serviced and the car was amazing with a JB4 and a catless DP.

Upon delivery about 2 months ago...you guessed it...CEL. I didn't have the proper diagnostic equipment but a generic obd scan tool directed me to a misfire. I can deal with that. I went ahead and acquired ISTA D and went in a bit further. The codes from ISTA D were for misfire CYL 4 detected, and "damaging exhaust gas after start up" codes were 140410 and 140402. After some reading I saw that these cars misfire a lot, but a lot of solutions tend to be pretty simple. I deleted the code but it kept popping up even though the car was performing great despite 2 drivetrain malfunctions which went away after I shut the car off then restarted AND I had the JB4 set to auto delete codes(no, the JB4 hasn't been updated specifically to keep this feature for the catless DP.) After some reading I determined that it was a combo of the JB4 being set to map 2 with JUST a DP and no intake, and the OEM plugs being faulty and gapped to .031 after reading some stuff Terry from BMS posted.

Here is where it hits the fan guys, I purchased NGK 97506 and gapped them to .020 and installed at 18 lbs/ft. I used the special 14mm tool I got from amazon that hold the plug in and used a wobble extension to torque down the plugs because of the angle in the spark plug chamber to avoid torquing them at a bad angle and cracking them. First start up was amazing, the car felt smoother than before, the engine free revved smoother, and I went for a drive with no issues at all...I was actually in love with the car at this point. about 30 minutes after the spirited drive, I went to warm start the car and it sounded terrible. After a few minutes of idling maybe 2 or 3 my CEL starts blinking and I get a drivetrain malfunction. I shut down immediately and try to restart after a minute or so....same thing DTMF and blinking CEL. At this point my anxiety is through the roof, as I had to make a trip in the morning and that was out of the question. Something just didn't seem right... now I have multiple misfires and the DME "shut down fuel injection" according to ISTA D. I assume it did it for the whole bank 2.

I swapped in the OEM plugs, thinking "I'll take whatever I had before as long as it isn't this" but to my surprise the SAME THING happened on the completely stock plugs. Man, I really stepped in it this time. I then put the JB4 to map 0, which should be pass through and disabled the auto code delete to monitor what was going on. I got maybe 5 miles and the car felt fine although i wasn't driving easy it certainly was not aggressive or WOT then CEL came back. No drivetrain malfuction or blinking CEL, I though it must be the catless DP...NOPE, it was combustion misfire cyl 4, and now i had another of combustion misfires in several cylinders along with damaging exhaust gasses after starting up in multiple cylinders. I checked for cracked charge pipes, cracked intakes, nothing. I moved the coil packs and plugs around to see if the misfire moved...nope. When i delete the codes the car will cold start fine and run great until i have to restart it...then I get the CEL and the exhaust has a rhythmic plop sound at around 120 BPM aka misfire but no DTMF.

My local dealer and SA whom I have a relationship with specifically told me they are not cool with JB4 or downpipes and advised against servicing it there even though the car still has a BMW extended warranty until 100k (at 51k now). Now I'm on my own, and I need some help fellas. I know the next step is a compression test which I will be ordering this to do: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-gear-wre...r/kdt2428~kdt/

Some things to consider: I gassed up at a WAWA in maryland. My SA told me these cars are incredibly susceptible to bad gas. He also told me "replace ALL the injectors not just 1 or 2 but ALLLLLL of them" I know these cars aren't strangers to faulty injectors. Coil packs are still original, but since I did not notice a change in the problem after swapping them around, I feel they are still good but do not mind replacing if need be. Injectors are a minimum of 700 for 6 and that is the Bosch version not the OEM BMW part which are 3xx.00 EACH. I do not mind replacing those if I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IS THE ISSUE. I just do not want to throw money around either, as it seems counter productive.

I desperately need some direction guys, and any insight from a credible person would do wonders. I am very good with BMWs, but these new cars and their firmware updates and adaptations are a bit over my head with my current experience. Below is a screen shot of my last scan as of yesterday in the IMGUR link. Also I am a bit weary of going through the procedures with ISTA, I included a screen shot of what ISTA wants me to do.

Is this a stuck injector, coil pack or you think we have some piston ring/ intake valve issues? I appreciate the hell out of any insight.

The EDC is faults are for the coilovers.

Last edited by F82 GUY; 10-20-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Make your 'friend' pay for the injectors. Sorry dude but other than replacing them not sure what other choice you have? Did you take it to BMW? Was the car ever tuned?
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
F82 GUY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Make your 'friend' pay for the injectors. Sorry dude but other than replacing them not sure what other choice you have? Did you take it to BMW? Was the car ever tuned?
If my friend wasn't in a financial hard place I would definitely push for that but unfortunately that option isn't on the table. I do not think he was being malicious just an out of touch owner.

Car still has a JB4 but it is on passive as of now. The SA advised against bringing it in because they are not a mod friendly dealership.

I guess after the compression test, the next step is new coils packs and injectors assuming everything goes well. I was hoping this train of thought could be backed up by somebody with more experience than me with these cars.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Not sure what you've already been quoted for coil packs, but you might want to try these:

https://www.ignitionprojectsusa.com/...sku-ip-a122609
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I’d take the JB out and start from scratch. I don’t think the DP’s will cause your issues since it’s post ignition but I’m not a mechanic.

Are your plugs cracking? Do they show signs of oil burning etc that would show some type of blow by?

Run some bottled Techron fuel injector cleaner with your next fill-up from Shell, Chevron, or some other known Tier 1 gas.

Just spitballing. Best of luck.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Also have you considered sending your injectors out for servicing or is that not possible with these type of injectors?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Also have you considered sending your injectors out for servicing or is that not possible with these type of injectors?
Contact Trav on the BITOG forums for a quote on rebuild.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...jectorshttp://

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
F82 GUY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg4 View Post
Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Not sure what you've already been quoted for coil packs, but you might want to try these:

https://www.ignitionprojectsusa.com/...sku-ip-a122609
I went to ECS, and the OEM delphi coil packs are 26 or so dollars. I am a firm believer in OEM coil packs from my E36 and E46 days, but it may be time to look at upgraded options such as this once the car runs correctly. I do have planned to upgrade the turbos right after tax season. Thank you for this suggestion!

Quote:
I’d take the JB out and start from scratch. I don’t think the DP’s will cause your issues since it’s post ignition but I’m not a mechanic.

Are your plugs cracking? Do they show signs of oil burning etc that would show some type of blow by?

Run some bottled Techron fuel injector cleaner with your next fill-up from Shell, Chevron, or some other known Tier 1 gas.

Just spitballing. Best of luck.
I appreciate the spit balling, it is exactly what i need. I didn't see any signs of cracking but I will update monday or tuesday with a video of the plugs so that you guys can check them as well. They did not look out of anything normal to me, but I am no master tech.

I've always been weary of those liquids, have you used any with success?

You are definitely correct in that the DP is post ignition so it should not be a problem for the delarer to service while the DP is still installed. I may stongly consider retrying the dealer with out the JB4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Contact Trav on the BITOG forums for a quote on rebuild.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...jectorshttp://
This is great, I might do this just because!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

take that jb4 out clear the codes and see how the car drives on stock mode
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Remove the JB4 and get 6 genuine new plugs from your local BMW dealer, don't gap them just install them.

Take it back to stock other than the catless downpipes.

I had similar issues when i ran a JB4 years ago, turned it the be the wiring harness was just cheap trash and had bad connections.

After removing it and flashing a real flash tune ive never looked back.

Consider BM3 or MHD flash on your car instead of a piggy back.

But just remove the JB4 first and use new genuine non gapped plugs as a troubleshooting step.
The_Werm212.00
      10-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

I'd start with bringing the car back to stock first. Then, maybe consider servicing it at another BMW Service Center.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
prodigymb
Captain
Rep
Drives: V10+ R8, 997TT, Plaid, G550

remove JB4 completely. get new oem coils. your plugs are fine to stay in there.

if problem persists remove downpipes and go to dealer, its likely injectors, fuel pump or timing.

misfires are not rocket science just have to take a systematic approach to diagnosing them.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
are you on 93 oct gas or have you been mixing e85?

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
F82 GUY
Rep

UPDATE: Removed the JB4 completely from the car (as was just set to passive before) and everything is back to normal. I burned off the last of the WAWA gas (which possibly could have been a factor) and filled up with Shell.

The jb4 was installed in stage 3 from, but I wasn't using any of the features. Could that have been it? I'm still on oem plugs and oem coil packs as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #15
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82 GUY View Post
UPDATE: Removed the JB4 completely from the car (as was just set to passive before) and everything is back to normal. I burned off the last of the WAWA gas (which possibly could have been a factor) and filled up with Shell.

The jb4 was installed in stage 3 from, but I wasn't using any of the features. Could that have been it? I'm still on oem plugs and oem coil packs as well.
Fill up with new fuel and put some miles on the car.
You'll get a CEL from the downpipes but that wont create any performance issues.
I would throw the JB4 away and buy Bootmod. It'll be the best tune option you make.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #16
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Maybe not throw the JB4 away... sell it. Some people still want them for some reason.

I’d get a BM3 tune or any other OBD2 tune

Good to hear things got sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #17
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Id just keep it stock and get some lighter wheels with better tires and call it a day
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #18
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82 GUY View Post

that's good news, since the problem didn't go away when you turned the jb4 off i'm wondering if one of the many connections were not correctly connected or if one of the wires was faulty.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #19
prodigymb
Captain
Rep
Drives: V10+ R8, 997TT, Plaid, G550

Quote:
Maybe not throw the JB4 away... sell it. Some people still want them for some reason.

yep can still recoup some of the cost for the JB4, probably about half way to what a bootmod3 license costs.

a proper ecu tune will always work better than a piggy back.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #20
PhaedeDPGH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I sold my jb4 on eBay in a day for 400 dollars which is basically a BM3 license. Def don’t throw away lol
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #21
1azycat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 CP

Have you considered that your ngk are fake? Take a look at the photos in the other post
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #22
F82 GUY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
Fill up with new fuel and put some miles on the car.
You'll get a CEL from the downpipes but that wont create any performance issues.
I would throw the JB4 away and buy Bootmod. It'll be the best tune option you make.
I'm a bit shaken from the experience, I might hold off until summer to make absolutely sure everything is OK before proceeding.

Quote:

Thank you! If I verify the JB4 works, I will definitely sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
that's good news, since the problem didn't go away when you turned the jb4 off i'm wondering if one of the many connections were not correctly connected or if one of the wires was faulty.
I am going to try installing it as stage 1 and then stage 2 just to rule out possibilities since the WAWA gas was in the mix. The manual for the JB4 does say to not install the stage 3 unless you are planning on running upgraded turbos and fuels...which I am not. I will be sure to post my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
yep can still recoup some of the cost for the JB4, probably about half way to what a bootmod3 license costs.

a proper ecu tune will always work better than a piggy back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1azycat View Post
Have you considered that your ngk are fake? Take a look at the photos in the other post
WHOA. I completely did not consider that. I will check when I get back to the shop on Monday.

I would be floored if they were, as I got them from amazon.
Appreciate 0