R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

4 years of oversteering in M4 and MX5

Here's a compilation video that sums up my past 4 years of learning since my noob days- mostly oversteering too much- but hey that's a big part of the fun!

I am fair so included not only saves but also fails like mud shower and lawnmowing service. Remembering I used to ask silly questions back then, I believe it may be helpful for novice and intermediate drivers!

https://vimeo.com/365916020 <<-

Sharing via vimeo as I am a bit crazy about my privacy in a public space. Admin please fix it if there is way to correctly embed the video.

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 10-19-2019 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: trying to make the vimeo video work
Appreciate 10
MaynardZed1231.00
Cajun1139.50
jmg18703.50
Montaver2180.50
fanatic11018.50
Bon F80127.00
      10-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

good compilation and good idea to post via Vimeo!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
Geez3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

"Hey, we pay people to mow the grass." LMFAO

That is for sharing the video. Only way to improve skills is by doing so appreciate the push of 100%.
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
"Pass me this way" haahaah
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I truly enjoyed your video post, what a journey!
Looks like you have had lots of oh shit moments, but that is the only way you learn control the beast.

No walls!!!
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

https://vimeo.com/450575724

So.. while these days I am pretty much tired of car going drift mode and rather focusing on managing just a bit of slide for speed, my last track day at Ridge was a full day shit of rain hence it was unavoidable .

So here's a video of a scene where a basic oversteer correction sufferd an undeniable psychological impact if you add a wall next to you (and flag worker recognizes it by giving you a thump up lol). Also I added few drifting footage that might be educational for some novice drivers: the very core is that you are counter-steering the car to point the nose of the car to the direction where you want to go, then rewinding it when the sideway movement is controlled/ended.

I was initially disappointed to not be able to do any hot lap (and have to wait till next year), it was in fact really more beneficial to figure out the track/lines better while driving slowly in my 4 years old MPSS spending only half tank of gas for the whole day, and to improve my skills and inputs as weight transitions happens in sort of slow-motion in rain compare to high speed in dry days.

The F8x chassis feels very refined, stable and easy to control just like a video game. For those who wants to improve car control skills, I highly recommend taking advantage of a rainy track day, putting some shitty tires and start from taking it really easy with DSC OFF and feel how car behaves.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Was that recent day with Turn 2? Definitely looks wet out there
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4dr View Post
Was that recent day with Turn 2? Definitely looks wet out there
HOD!

BTW Thanks for reminding me of Turn2! I was completely forgetting that run group. I might try them if they are able to get approved for the track day at Ridge this year. So far only HOD was the group I know who was able to get their safety guideline good enough to be approved.

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 08-22-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
r4dr171.50
      08-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have mixed feelings about Turn 2, I think they're way too lax with safety considering the skill level of drivers they allow to solo. I've been meaning to do HOD sometime, I've only heard positive things about them.

Good to see another PNWer in here, hope to see you out there some time!
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Turn 2, I think they're way too lax with safety considering the skill level of drivers they allow to solo. I've been meaning to do HOD sometime, I've only heard positive things about them.

Good to see another PNWer in here, hope to see you out there some time!
HOD runs safe and respectfully. Also reasonably responsible with COVID-19 guidelines.

Definitely we need more PNW people here. This track forum's dominated by East Coasters and Californians!

I emailed the Turn 2 organizer about the 9/4-5 event whether it's happening and how they are dealing with COVID.
Appreciate 1
r4dr171.50
      08-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Do you ever just throw your hands off the wheel, “quickly release the steering wheel” as a slide starts in the the wet and then catch the wheel as it straighten out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
https://vimeo.com/450575724

So.. while these days I am pretty much tired of car going drift mode and rather focusing on managing just a bit of slide for speed, my last track day at Ridge was a full day shit of rain hence it was unavoidable .

So here's a video of a scene where a basic oversteer correction sufferd an undeniable psychological impact if you add a wall next to you (and flag worker recognizes it by giving you a thump up lol). Also I added few drifting footage that might be educational for some novice drivers: the very core is that you are counter-steering the car to point the nose of the car to the direction where you want to go, then rewinding it when the sideway movement is controlled/ended.

I was initially disappointed to not be able to do any hot lap (and have to wait till next year), it was in fact really more beneficial to figure out the track/lines better while driving slowly in my 4 years old MPSS spending only half tank of gas for the whole day, and to improve my skills and inputs as weight transitions happens in sort of slow-motion in rain compare to high speed in dry days.

The F8x chassis feels very refined, stable and easy to control just like a video game. For those who wants to improve car control skills, I highly recommend taking advantage of a rainy track day, putting some shitty tires and start from taking it really easy with DSC OFF and feel how car behaves.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #12
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Do you ever just throw your hands off the wheel, “quickly release the steering wheel” as a slide starts in the the wet and then catch the wheel as it straighten out?
Very interesting. Is that how it's suppose to be done? As an average person just trying (to not crash) it would be unnerving to throw my hands off the wheel, like hands off the key of a drifting ship in storm. Basically from beginning to end I am using steering wheel to track car's direction to where it should go and my gut tells me it should be as quick and precise as possible; but it's certainly not easy to achieve perfect precision having to make ~1.5 turn very fast when sideway angle is that big hence often leading to smaller, extra corrections.

Certainly in actual drifting videos of experts it looks a lot easier. It would be interesting to get informed if you/anyone has insights.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep

No I would definitely not take my hands off the wheel and let it do its own thing around a corner at 80 mph. Fucking hell no.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No I would definitely not take my hands off the wheel and let it do its own thing around a corner at 80 mph. Fucking hell no.
Yeah certainly not while actual lapping in higher speed. Not in my car. Not in my paid session. But who knows? Anyway he did say "in the wet" so I am curious and it might work at least in a 'show drift' category if the driver knows what he is doing. I am thinking actual professional drifters perhaps do it at low speed (=<60mph) and controlled environment, and they use throttle to extend their slides all the way to exit. So my guess is in that case there may be more room to rewind in the more controlled and predictable manner.

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 08-24-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #15
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Posted it somewhere else but I am gonna have to leave it here too. (please bare with me ) A personal milestone of highest speed of sliding: 100mph

https://vimeo.com/454986968

Car was stable and feedback was all there. What a car! My body didn't think so though and didn't know what to expect (whether it will ever end before entry of next turn) so this one strained my left wrist pretty bad.
Appreciate 2
drroc420.00
David0ff1059.00