Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Common repairs @ 50k+ mileage

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on coming back to an M3! Probably a used F80 with around 50k miles in the near future. Well, once I get my E55 AMG sold that is.

Other then the basic brakes tires. What about front bushings, rear diff mounts im sure. What about motor mounts trans mounts.

Also engine related like fuel filter fuel pump, Trans oil and filter. What other things should be considered?

The turbos will eventually be swapped out so not too worried about that.

Just trying to see if I should spend more and hold off a little longer or maybe not because rubber bushings go bad on all cars, mounts etc. So what real savings is there other then future resale value. Which I am not worried about because this will be my project fun car eventually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 04-02-2019 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

My car has 90000 kilometers which is about 56000 miles and I had absolutely no issues with the car but then again I treat my car like a baby and I don't track it, it is my daily driver. If you buy a used car you have basically no idea what you are buying and how abused the car has been so it's kind of hard to provide an adequate answer. What I would do is change the oil, filters, spark plugs and the rear diff oil if that hasn't been replaced recently. If it is a 6MT I would also replace the transmission oil. If you really really want to know the state of the engine you could always do a compression test and an oil leak test if you have the opportunity to test it and also look inside the block (borescope inspection).

There are some issues with the crank hub spinning but there is no general consensus which cars are affected exactly or under what conditions but it is nowhere the number of issues that the previous M3 had with the rod bearings. Some had reported issues with the rear diff. Others reported a coolant leak.
Basically there are some that had issues but AFAIK there are no major reported issues with the F8x.

I do have an issue with the wheel bearings that under certain driving conditions I hear some sounds, for example when stuck in a traffic jam and I turn my steering slightly to the right. It is difficult to reproduce and seems to be more noticeable during hot temperatures. At some point I am just going to replace the wheel bearings.

There are no common issues with the turbos, rod bearings, ...

If this is your first F8x the only complaint is the sound of the engine which is muffled by the turbos and the catalytic converters but this can be improved with an AA midpipe and the MPE exhaust among other aftermarket exhausts. You could also install an EVC module to control the exhaust flaps.

Besides that the ride is harsh, suspension could have been better, this is my major complaint especially on the mediocre roads in Belgium.

I would not recommend the Carbon Ceramic Brakes (CCBs). It is just in my opinion just too expensive for what it is worth and when it is raining a lot you will sh*t your paints when you need an emergency brake.

The car is very good car to drive as a daily driver and a torque monster (as of 1800 RPM). When turning the DCT OFF or using Euro MDM it is a hoot to drive.

I would buy one build in 2016 or later.

Last edited by G4BR13L; 04-02-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rantlers133.50
      04-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your reply!

I agree you can never tell but you haven’t changed your bushings yet? Have you looked at them they could be collapsed and maybe not even know. I remember how harsh my M3 was.

Only looking at dct I will probably do a crankhub as I will mod the turbos just trying to see what else is common for repairs. After 50k miles.

Now the question is spend less for higher miles o spend more for lower miles. Looking for best value.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

And if the car has the CCBs read here:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1599985
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:34 AM   #5
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I own a 2015 (build date Aug 2014). Bought around May of 2018. Currently have around 47k miles.

I have some of the drivetrain vibration I have seen mentioned on the forums, dealer did some work under warranty but it didn't help. I gave up and just decided to drive it and if something breaks I'll fix it at that time. It's fairly minor vibration but does make the car feel janky at times. No idea how long it's been this way.

Other than that I had various rattles in the doors from broken clips, dealer fixed under warranty.

My door locks would intermittently not unlatch by pulling the door handle - the car literally was trying to lock me inside. They could open by pressing unlock button but this was a huge safety issue. Dealer fixed under warranty.

My infotainment is only about 95% reliable and Bluetooth drops on rare occasion. I also have glitches when it comes to showing what song is playing. (Don't have car play). I have updated the firmware to the latest. But not bad enough to take it in for service and not repeatable enough to demonstrate.

When I look under the car I see little rubber boots that are cracked and probably various bushings will need to be replaced by 70-80k miles I would guess. I'll probably upgrade them all at the 75k mark.

Engine feels solid and DCT hasn't given any problems. I consume about 1 quart of 0W-40 every 4000-5000 miles or so which I am assuming is pretty damn good. I've owned a 350Z and an STi that both drank a lot more oil than this.

My right rear shock was leaking and I decided to get KW v3s to replace all 4 corners instead of replacing one shock at a time - plus the factory EDC was terrible, the car feels much better now.

My M emblems on the front seats were cracked, those were replaced under warranty. Leather color is wearing a bit on the driver's left side seat bolster, seems normal wear and tear but again the car isn't that old.

Overall saved a lot of money buying used but the car definitely shows its age and it's not even 5 yet.

I am enjoying the car a lot more now that a lot of issues are fixed, it drives like a dream now... and I still plan to keep it for a long time, but this is low on the quality list comparing cars I've owned.

Probably the 2000 Maxima was on par with this f80 for quality but everything else was considerably better IMO. I'll definitely give a tip of the hat to my 350Z that I drove for 10 years, beat the crap out of it, and it never gave a single issue until year 10 which was intermittent window motor issues.

In order:
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Nissan Maxima
2005 350Z
2010 Acura TSX
2014 Infiniti QX70
2015 STi
2017 Highlander
2015 F80
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
AJJ3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

My car has 81k miles on it. I have changed the DCT fluid, spark plugs, brakes and rotors, an o2 senor, an exhaust flap actuator.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #7
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good to know, have you guys experienced oil consumption? is it common for all F80 to consume oil?
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPro_F80 View Post
Good to know, have you guys experienced oil consumption? is it common for all F80 to consume oil?
No it's not common at all. While I wouldn't necessarily be worried with some consumption, it definitely is not a pervasive issue with the s55.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
My car has 90000 kilometers which is about 56000 miles and I had absolutely no issues with the car but then again I treat my car like a baby and I don't track it, it is my daily driver. If you buy a used car you have basically no idea what you are buying and how abused the car has been so it's kind of hard to provide an adequate answer. What I would do is change the oil, filters, spark plugs and the rear diff oil if that hasn't been replaced recently. If it is a 6MT I would also replace the transmission oil. If you really really want to know the state of the engine you could always do a compression test and an oil leak test if you have the opportunity to test it and also look inside the block (borescope inspection).

There are some issues with the crank hub spinning but there is no general consensus which cars are affected exactly or under what conditions but it is nowhere the number of issues that the previous M3 had with the rod bearings. Some had reported issues with the rear diff. Others reported a coolant leak.
Basically there are some that had issues but AFAIK there are no major reported issues with the F8x.

I do have an issue with the wheel bearings that under certain driving conditions I hear some sounds, for example when stuck in a traffic jam and I turn my steering slightly to the right. It is difficult to reproduce and seems to be more noticeable during hot temperatures. At some point I am just going to replace the wheel bearings.

There are no common issues with the turbos, rod bearings, ...

If this is your first F8x the only complaint is the sound of the engine which is muffled by the turbos and the catalytic converters but this can be improved with an AA midpipe and the MPE exhaust among other aftermarket exhausts. You could also install an EVC module to control the exhaust flaps.

Besides that the ride is harsh, suspension could have been better, this is my major complaint especially on the mediocre roads in Belgium.

I would not recommend the Carbon Ceramic Brakes (CCBs). It is just in my opinion just too expensive for what it is worth and when it is raining a lot you will sh*t your paints when you need an emergency brake.

The car is very good car to drive as a daily driver and a torque monster (as of 1800 RPM). When turning the DCT OFF or using Euro MDM it is a hoot to drive.

I would buy one build in 2016 or later.
My car has 42k bought from dealer at 40k all service been dun at bmw prior to buying. Should I wait for service light to come on or do I change oil, spark plugs, rear def before any service light comes on?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

You should follow the service intervals as defined by BMW for your country and in combination with CBS. If you care about your car you change the oil and oil filter between these service intervals. Als replace the rear diff fluids more frequently than specified and have the DCT flushed at least every 60.000 miles/90.000 km.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
cdcruz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm currently at 63,500 on my 15F82 and only had the PCV valve go out on me. I had bought the extended warranty which covered the cost to fix it. The dealership quoted me at 2300$ for the parts and labor. They told me the valve cover has to be replaced for it to be fixed which is a costly item. Other than that, the S55 has been pretty solid! Normal maintenance done and so far it's holding up really well!

I highly recommend getting the extended warranty if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term and go to a mod friendly dealership that will help you out. Hit me up! If you have any other questions🙌🏽
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcruz View Post
I'm currently at 63,500 on my 15F82 and only had the PCV valve go out on me. I had bought the extended warranty which covered the cost to fix it. The dealership quoted me at 2300$ for the parts and labor. They told me the valve cover has to be replaced for it to be fixed which is a costly item. Other than that, the S55 has been pretty solid! Normal maintenance done and so far it's holding up really well!

I highly recommend getting the extended warranty if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term and go to a mod friendly dealership that will help you out. Hit me up! If you have any other questions🙌🏽
Good to know, thank you. Wow 2300 to replace PCV is heavy. So extended warranty should be considered.

I will be looking for 40-50k miles 15-16 F80. Do you think most of the issues have already been taken care of at this mileage?

When I had my last M3 it was always at the dealer but but 25-30k it was all sorted out and ran trouble free until I sold it with 50k

Does your car burn oil? This oil consumption has me worried. How can I tell the car I'm buying has oil consumption or not?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #13
DarthVader_M4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15 BMW M4

Keep it at 40k, inspect it inside out, body damage, leaks, etc...good luck.
      05-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
DarthVader_M4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlasting View Post
My car has 42k bought from dealer at 40k all service been dun at bmw prior to buying. Should I wait for service light to come on or do I change oil, spark plugs, rear def before any service light comes on?
I do oil change right away after buying any used car. AS i don't trust anyone.
Changing spark plugs is cheap, why not, rear Diff i would do it at 60k
      05-02-2019, 02:11 AM   #15
cdcruz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good to know, thank you. Wow 2300 to replace PCV is heavy. So extended warranty should be considered.

I will be looking for 40-50k miles 15-16 F80. Do you think most of the issues have already been taken care of at this mileage?

When I had my last M3 it was always at the dealer but but 25-30k it was all sorted out and ran trouble free until I sold it with 50k

Does your car burn oil? This oil consumption has me worried. How can I tell the car I'm buying has oil consumption or not?
Quote:
Quote:

Around 40-50k miles there are really no issues (S55 solid af) except for wear n' tear items.

I would look to see how much life is left on the brakes/rotors only because it'll cost you 800+ dollars to get them replaced.... close to 2,000 front and back for just parts only. If a shop does the installation, that's more out of your pocket.

Tread life of the tires should be checked also. If they need to be replaced, I wouldn't go cheap on the tires but that's entirely up to you!

I've never have issues with oil consumption so I can't really say anything on that.

Other than that, I love my F82 and it has done me well so far and it's also my daily. Smiles per gallon!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 04:05 AM   #16
Red335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 f82

Just cracked 114k, no issues.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #17
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

awesome 114k....no issues
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #18
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (sold). G80 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
I own a 2015 (build date Aug 2014). Bought around May of 2018. Currently have around 47k miles.

I have some of the drivetrain vibration I have seen mentioned on the forums, dealer did some work under warranty but it didn't help. I gave up and just decided to drive it and if something breaks I'll fix it at that time. It's fairly minor vibration but does make the car feel janky at times. No idea how long it's been this way.
Not sure under what conditions you're experiencing the drivetrain vibrations, but I experienced some vibration under acceleration. Dealer diagnosed it as a cracked rear diff bushing. After replacement, it went away. Maybe that'll be useful for you.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #19
lvevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Evo 9, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post

Did you fix your vibration issue? A forum member below said his vibration was caused by a bad rear diff bushing.

thanks,
      09-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #20
bobbyh907
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Alpine White

Pretty sure 2016+ got hit with the driveshaft recall and they all have the steel driveshaft if they've been through the dealership for the recall. Technically the 2015 models are the lightest ones as they still have the carbon driveshaft and magnesium oil pan.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #21
M3ILANA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

Quote:

Quote:

Which warranty company do you recommend?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #22
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got the car and making appointment @ BMW to replace seat emblems and see what else they can find! I made a new thread in this section. Thank you all who have replied!

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0