European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Vibration during acceleration

Apologies in advance for the wall of text

Finally pulled the trigger back in December of 2016 on my first BMW, and I got my dream car an F80. I was in the market and had been looking around, stumbled upon a 2016 with only 3700 miles so I had to pull the trigger. Basically saved myself $10k.

During the test drive the car had some vibration, but I was convinced it was tires and was assured it'd be fixed before I took delivery. 2 days later I came back and picked up my baby, but on the way home I still noticed a slight vibration, but much less pronounced than the original vibration. So of course I took it back to the dealer and let them sort this out before they tried to blame this issue on me. After much bickering between the service department and the sales team they decided to give me a new set of tires.

Fast forward 1500 miles, the vibration is back or it might have been there all along but I really started to pay attention to when it was occurring. The vibration would only occur between 55-65mph when accelerating, cruising at those speeds the vibration would disappear. In my head I'm thinking, new tires... 1500 miles, nothing too wild on the road (minus my first ticket) this is most likely NOT a tire issue.

I take it to back to the dealer, go for a drive with the lead service tech and sure enough it vibrates just as it always had while I was driving. Of course the tech in the passenger seat could not feel it as I guess I've gotten sensitive to the sound and it can only be felt in the steering wheel. So, we swap and he accelerates and feels what I've been describing and agrees it's not normal.

Of course they start to diagnose the tires, check balance, test, still vibrates. Road force check the tires, test, still vibrates. New wheels and tires from a brand new M3, test, still vibrates.... (Oh and HQ BMW made them record a video to send in to ensure the road wasn't causing the vibration)

Today I was informed that they have ordered a driveshaft to see if this fixes the problem and we'll go from there I guess.

Maybe you guys (and gals) have any thoughts as to what it could be.

Update 1: Received the car back with the new driveshaft installed, vibration still exists. Also noted a new rubbing sound being generated from the left rear. Service center is now changing the left rear axle which is believed to be the source of the vibration and rubbing.

Update 2: Service Center has installed the left rear axle and the vibration still exists. BMW has sent out the regional engineer to review the car (he's been out previously to look at my car), his GUESS this time is motor mounts and maybe the steering rack (3 weeks parts delivery). I have now contacted BMW of North America (NA) as this is now the 4th time they've tried to remedy the situation.

Update 3: First off apologies for the giant gaps in updates, but here's the latest. Installed the motor mounts and the dealer was elated that they had finally fixed it, 4 test drives to ensure that they were not going to waste my time. Gave me a call said they'd fixed it, so of course I hopped in the loaner to pick up my baby and as soon as I pulled into the parking lot the service manager gives me a ring. Informs me that while they were pulling the car around, they thought they'd give it another drive around the block and of course the symptom reappeared (which makes me think they just didn't notice it the first 4 drives out). Packed up my stuff and headed for the house, power steering rack would be in in 4 days. Skip ahead 4 days, installation of the power steering rack, calibration, wheel alignment, all the checks... and still there.

Update 4: Dealer will now replace the transmission mounts.

Update 5: After replacing the tranny mounts... guess what, yep you guessed it! Didn't fix it, message was sent off to BMW NA again to see what they want to do now...

Update 6: Now they want to replace the crankshaft pulley.

Update 7: BMW of NA has stepped in to stop this madness of changing everything in the car and has decided they will find me another M3.
View post on imgur.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second instance of this issue is happening to scash62

Last edited by Emcee; 06-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Update to situation
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

the tires would be my first guess, too. i`ve been in a car that had the same problem. it happened to be the nut lugs .. but he check the transmission fluid, the transmission filter, struts/shocks/tie rod ...
      03-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

I agree, if not the tires, maybe the driveshaft. I have not had your issue. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Have them check the rear diff,,, maybe it's one in the Service Bulletin

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleniki View Post
the tires would be my first guess, too. i`ve been in a car that had the same problem. it happened to be the nut lugs .. but he check the transmission fluid, the transmission filter, struts/shocks/tie rod ...
Lug nuts? I guess you could get a wobble if they weren't tight but I would tend to think that would produce a consistent vibration rather than one at a specific speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
Emcee
Private
Rep

bump for update
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
sky03
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Can you also be checked the Drive flange hubs and the brake disc's center hub (if your breaks are not ceramic) for is there any loose/crook. My friend had the similar vibration as you told and on his car the brake disc's center hub was loose/crooked.

Not so many people knows this or check the hubs cause this cant be seen easily with eyes.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Do you feel the vibration in the steering or seat? That's probably the best place to start. if it's in the steering wheel, then the rack or something else in the suspension would be the culprit. If you mostly feel it in your seat, then it's probably coming from the rear. Since your already tried new wheels and driveshaft and axle, then it's likely the diff. Probably wasn't broken in properly and now it might be pooched. Good luck and report back!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky03 View Post
Can you also be checked the Drive flange hubs and the brake disc's center hub (if your breaks are not ceramic) for is there any loose/crook. My friend had the similar vibration as you told and on his car the brake disc's center hub was loose/crooked.

Not so many people knows this or check the hubs cause this cant be seen easily with eyes.
Not ceramics.

I would assume that they've given the hubs a good looks since they've checked the wheels and ran completely new wheels from a new car. I have the car back in my possession now while we wait for parts delivery, I'll give it a cursory look.

Never know, thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Do you feel the vibration in the steering or seat? That's probably the best place to start. if it's in the steering wheel, then the rack or something else in the suspension would be the culprit. If you mostly feel it in your seat, then it's probably coming from the rear. Since your already tried new wheels and driveshaft and axle, then it's likely the diff. Probably wasn't broken in properly and now it might be pooched. Good luck and report back!
Nope, solely in the steering.

I was thinking it was transmission related and possibly a certain gear but I notice it in 3 and 4 (DCT) so that would be different shafts and different gears, but a steering wheel shake caused by the differential seems even less likely than motor mounts. Who knows...

Thanks for you response.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee
Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Nope, solely in the steering.

I was thinking it was transmission related and possibly a certain gear but I notice it in 3 and 4 (DCT) so that would be different shafts and different gears, but a steering wheel shake caused by the differential seems even less likely than motor mounts. Who knows...

Thanks for you response.
Nice! sounds like it's not drivetrain related and more like suspension, maybe wheel bearings or suspension linkage. Too lazy to check the original thread again but have they checked the alignment?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
I notice this vibration as well. Only under heavy acceleration. It is definitely worse when going steeply uphill. And nearly no vibration going steeply downhill. Im going to bring this up during my next service. It has happened since car was new. Feels like its only vibrating thru the wheel but hard to tell. 2016 F82

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

I have experienced this before, i bet your rear wheels are bent/not completely straight (probably slightly bent on the inside). Have all your wheels checked for bends and road force balanced just in case

Edit: Didn't realize that you tried a different set of wheels. Ignore my suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
nick315
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 m3

There are a couple of things that. Plus cause this one make sure your wheel are balanced properly, just cause they were balanced doesn't mean it was a good job. Two your hubs can cause vibrations, three bent rims. You usually don't get a driveshaft vibration except for underload. As well, while I doubt it, I would make sure your struts are good. Since I can't feel it myself this is the best info, I can give.

BMW OWNED:
E90 sedan sport package (2 of them)
F80 M3
F85 X5M
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #15
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky03 View Post

The more and more they potential causes, I think you might be onto something with the drive flanges hubs or at least something up front that's rotating. But I would assume that if they tried new wheels and tires they would have examined all this up front, wasn't explicitly mentioned to me though.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:23 PM   #16
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
I notice this vibration as well. Only under heavy acceleration. It is definitely worse when going steeply uphill. And nearly no vibration going steeply downhill. Im going to bring this up during my next service. It has happened since car was new. Feels like its only vibrating thru the wheel but hard to tell. 2016 F82
Keep us posted and let us know what you find out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #17
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scash62 View Post
That is scary that the dealer cannot find an issue.
I'm more shocked at some of the things that they are deciding to replace, obviously they are going to replace all the minor elements before touching the engine, transmission and differential.

What's more concerning is that someone else in the forum is experiencing this exact same issue, which makes me feel this might be a bigger issue in the design with the vehicle. Maybe it's a certain run of cars that are plagued with this problem or maybe I've just got bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #18
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Viration during acceleration, 2016 BMW M3 F80

Update 6/2/17 - Took 2016 M3 into service Charlotte NC BMW Northlake, got the service foreman to drive so that he could feel vibration. He agreed that it does not feel normal and definitely noticed a vibration between speeds of 65 and 72 and did not matter what gear you are in. The key is to slowly accelerate because you will quickly pass 72mph when accelerating hard

He also mentioned that he had something similar a year prior and the resolution was to replace the transmission and once they replaced the transmission, the issue was solved.

I will update as progress is made. Hopefully they wont start randomly replacing parts.
Is yours a DCT? If I was you, I'd hope they'd change the transmission first or you'll end up with a car like mine. But more than likely they'll want to eliminate everything under the sun before dropping a new tranny in the car.

You might be better off looking at trying to get the dealer to buy the car back rather than let them do what they are doing to my car...

Keep us posted and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
I have experienced this before, i bet your rear wheels are bent/not completely straight (probably slightly bent on the inside). Have all your wheels checked for bends and road force balanced just in case

Edit: Didn't realize that you tried a different set of wheels. Ignore my suggestion.
(not an M3/4 but bear with me) i had the same issue on my wifes' e46 320D Touring car. Up a hill and while under heavy acceleration we experienced a vibration and at times even what felt like wheel hop. It will also make a hum sound at high speed. But it would not do any of those while down a slope or when the car had ease on accelerating. it turned out be the drive shaft heavily out of balanced and the center support bearing. What still remains is a little hum while on high speeds but barely noticeable.

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 06-15-2017 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
(not an M3/4 but bear with me) i had the same issue on my wifes' e46 320D Touring car. Up a hill and while under heavy acceleration we experienced a vibration and at times even what felt like wheel hop. It will also make a hum sound at high speed. But it would not do any of those while down a slope or when the car had ease on accelerating. it tuned be the drive shaft heavily out of balanced and the center support bearing. What still remains is a little hum while on high speeds but barely noticeable.
Thanks for your reply. Funny enough after fixing my wheels i have diagnosed my problem to the drive shaft as well. Issue is not on the M4 but my Z06. It looks like cylinder deactivation + light acceleration on a hill = vibration in the driveshaft.

Note: It only happens during light acceleration because the car goes into V8 mode on heavy acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #21
matrixfinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

My 16 m4 does the same thing. It seem to start vibrating at around 60mph and won't stop unless u let go off the gas pedal. Time to bring it in again.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #22
Emcee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Vibration during acceleration, 2016 BMW M3 DCT F80 7000 Miles

UPDATE 7/20/2017

Friday 7/14/17 BMW Dealership Manager BMW Northlake NC Chris.Blocker@HendrickAuto.com - decided that they preferred to move me into a new vehicle vs. continuing to determine the issue with my existing vehicle. Saturday I emailed at the Dealership managers request my specs and color requirements and I just based it on my existing vehicle. On Monday Chris said that he is working with Corp to get me into a new vehicle since I have had so many pieces replaced and still notice the issue.

Today Friday 7/20/17 - Chris.Blocker@HendrickAuto.com emailed me today saying that they are no-longer willing to work with me to move into another vehicle and would consider an extended warranty.

Today 7/17/17 I talked with BMW NA customer relations case manager Christopher.Antal@bmwnaext.com and he said that BMWNA is also not willing to assist because they believe the issue is considered normal. REALLY! It was not normal before but now it is!!!!!

I find it odd that I have the same vibration at the exact same speed range and they replaced transmission, differential and axle and not I still feel the vibration at that place although less but now it is considered normal. The fact is they don't know how to resolve but vibration cannot be considered normal.

This is very disappointing as a BMW advocate that they are willing to treat a long time BMW customer this way.

I have emailed several BMW Customer Relations executives and no response from them. Peter.Miles@bmwna.com

It sounds like your regional team is really shady, first to send an acknowledgement to replace the vehicle and then a week later tell you that nothing will be done and since they can't find the problem it is now considered "normal." Other M cars don't vibrate like this and you're supposed to just accept a faulty car because they can't find a problem.

That is shady as hell. I'm truly speechless...

Stay on them, they are just trying to weasel away from this busted car.
Appreciate 1