Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #67
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post
Agreed. I'm an M3 guy not only because they are a blast to drive, but I also love how they look compared to the 330/340. It's just a different experience entirely, but sure, it's not for everyone.

Also, I like the fact that I don't see a million M3s everyday. Whereas the new 340 will be literally everywhere.
Ever been to Miami? Seattle? LA? F8x are a dime a dozen..in those areas, maybe not as many as F30, but enough to not feel special unless yours is modded.

Sorry for multiple threads... on mobile device.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 05:38 AM   #68
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
Just about every suspension component (and then some) is tweaked or redesigned on the M3. Look at the parts bin and traditionally on the 340 level car the suspension is much closer to a 330 than an M3. I'd adventure to say the M340 is much the same.

No one is saying the M340 isn't going to be an awesome little car, it absolutely is. However, when you talk about lapping a race track that isn't the design purpose for that car. Be happy with what it is; a great comfy quick sedan. M3 levels of performance (and associated suspension comfort) aren't for everyone. Just now letting go of my 16 340i with the track handling package and the suspension is night and day different on my new F80. The M340i will be a fast little car but isn't going to run with an F80 if we are talking about corners. In the wet or stoplight consistency will obviously favor the xdrive car. Those on here who get US spec RWD M340s better hope even with a tune to keep up in a straight line with a stock F80.

FWIW insurance cost is negligible. Literally $1 more for 6 months on a F80 vs my outgoing 340. Gas? Yeah, I'm sure the M340i will get better mileage but weren't we just talking about lapping a racetrack?
You do realize the m340 was tested on the Nürburgring,
and does have a cooling package option??? Not saying it’s a track monster, but it keeps pace with current M2. No one is thinking this is a true ///M, why feel threatened? To the average consumer it’s a BMW. whether 320, M5, or whatever.

The enthusiasts know what each line is, and its purpose. Did the M550 cause this much flack with M5 crowd??????

Some food for thought:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/03/29/b...uess-an-m-car/

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)

Last edited by BigSky702; 03-30-2019 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #69
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Just about every suspension component (and then some) is tweaked or redesigned on the M3. Look at the parts bin and traditionally on the 340 level car the suspension is much closer to a 330 than an M3. I'd adventure to say the M340 is much the same.

No one is saying the M340 isn't going to be an awesome little car, it absolutely is. However, when you talk about lapping a race track that isn't the design purpose for that car. Be happy with what it is; a great comfy quick sedan. M3 levels of performance (and associated suspension comfort) aren't for everyone. Just now letting go of my 16 340i with the track handling package and the suspension is night and day different on my new F80. The M340i will be a fast little car but isn't going to run with an F80 if we are talking about corners. In the wet or stoplight consistency will obviously favor the xdrive car. Those on here who get US spec RWD M340s better hope even with a tune to keep up in a straight line with a stock F80.

FWIW insurance cost is negligible. Literally $1 more for 6 months on a F80 vs my outgoing 340. Gas? Yeah, I'm sure the M340i will get better mileage but weren't we just talking about lapping a racetrack?
and does have a cooling package option??? Not saying it's a track monster, but it keeps pace with current M2. No one is thinking this is a true ///M, why feel threatened? To the average consumer it's a BMW. whether 320, M5, or whatever.

The enthusiasts know what each line is, and its purpose. Did the M550 cause this much flack with M5 crowd??????

Some food for thought:

If the M340 is better than an M3 CS (or a base M3 even), I'll gladly pay your first car payment

I'm sure it will be a very fun car though. Enjoy it!
      03-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #70
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:

and does have a cooling package option??? Not saying it's a track monster, but it keeps pace with current M2. No one is thinking this is a true ///M, why feel threatened? To the average consumer it's a BMW. whether 320, M5, or whatever.

Some food for thought:

No reason to get defensive bud. The OP asked for an opinion and is getting them.

No 330/340 has ever eclipsed the previous generations M3, but if that's how someone wants to talk themself in to justifying the car, then more power to them. It will be excellent I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #71
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
No reason to get defensive bud. The OP asked for an opinion and is getting them.

No 330/340 has ever eclipsed the previous generations M3, but if that's how someone wants to talk themself in to justifying the car, then more power to them. It will be excellent I'm sure.
OP asked for an opinion and this thread turned into another pissing match!
How about we assess OPs needs and just take it from there?
Why trash the brand?! If the M340 brings BMW back to its throne, great for ALL trim lines....

I’m not justifying anything. Just saying let’s see what this car has to offer before tearing it to pieces. I agree no 340 has eclipsed a previous gen, but this one may actually match or get damn near close. It’s a new platform.
Anyone on this site do an actual comparison yet?? Anyone on this site had butt time in a m340 and current gen m3?? Other than for pure fun, what does anyone have to prove?? Enjoy your ride whatever it is!

Either way I don’t care, I am an ///M fan and currently drive an M4. I love the car, but for my purposes I don’t need drive at a level 10 every day. I’m willing to give the M340 a chance as a DD. I’m not trying to “pose” and claim it’s a true M car, I can’t control what BMW labels their vehicles, but don’t insinuate (not necessarily you) that every Mxxx owner has a chip on their shoulder about Mx cars.

Last edited by BigSky702; 03-30-2019 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #72
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Some food for thought:

A cooling package option? Come on man you have completely missed the point.

Listen, as I said before no one is threatened here we are just trying to educate a prospective buyer on the differences between the level of engineering on an ///M vehicle vs "regular" BMWs. Every BMW is validated on the ring.

If you think an M340 is what you want, by all means go for it. I was going to get one since my 340i lease was up this month. However, when I found an new F80 for less money it was a no brainer. Way more car for less money.

And FWIW just because a M340i can outrun an M2 in a drag race doesn't mean it is going to keep up around a track. If 0-60 times are your measure of greatness, a RWD M car is not for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #73
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Listen, as I said before no one is threatened here we are just trying to educate a prospective buyer on the differences between the level of engineering on an ///M vehicle vs "regular" BMWs. Every BMW is validated on the ring.

If you think an M340 is what you want, by all means go for it. I was going to get one since my 340i lease was up this month. However, when I found an new F80 for less money it was a no brainer. Way more car for less money.

And FWIW just because a M340i can outrun an M2 in a drag race doesn't mean it is going to keep up around a track. If 0-60 times are your measure of greatness, a RWD M car is not for you.

No man, you missed the point:

1. I already OWN a full M. So I know and appreciate what it’s capable of.
2. Educate all you want, but there will be many more calling their m340s the new M. What does it matter to you?!
3. I don’t know if the m340 is for me, no one does at this point. It’s not on dealers lots yet. But, if it doesn’t fit, more than likely I’m back in an M ( M5 ).
4. I simply stated the car has “track” options like enhanced cooling.
5. Get the chip off your shoulder. Know the difference between education and trashing a trim line just to make a point.
6. Aside from a track, where are you legally going to push it??
A majority of drivers NEVER seen track time..
7. How about just telling OP test drive both, whichever puts the biggest grin on your face go with that one ??

Enjoy your F80, you have the fastest bestest engineered car, ok??
To others the M340 will be a lot of car for money. It’s all subjective. Can’t wait for you to get lapped by an M5 or Porsche. Keep it in perspective buddy.

EDIT: Ok, I see what happened here, someone got caught in the cross fire. I addressed it in another thread you were on.

Last edited by BigSky702; 03-30-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #74
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Quote:

1. I already OWN a full M. So I know and appreciate what it's capable of.
2. Educate all you want, but there will be many more calling their m340s the new M. What does it matter to you?!
3. I don't know if the m340 is for me, no one does at this point. It's not on dealers lots yet. But, if it doesn't fit, more than likely I'm back in an M ( M5 ).
4. I simply stated the car has "track" options like enhanced cooling.
5. Get the chip off your shoulder. Know the difference between education and trashing a trim line just to make a point.
7. How about just telling OP test drive both, whichever puts the biggest grin on your face go with that one ??

To others the M340 will be a lot of car for money. It's all subjective. Can't wait for you to get lapped by an M5 or Porsche. Keep it in perspective buddy.

EDIT: Ok, I see what happened here, someone got caught in the cross fire. I addressed it in another thread you were on.
Sounds like you have the chip on your shoulder bud. I'm happy you have an M, still doesn't change the discussion.

The only thing that hasn't changed is that a new gen 335/340 has never touched the previous M car on performance. The M340 is an incredible car but it is built for a different audience that is NOT tracking their car. YOU should be well aware of that rather than getting your feathers ruffled. We can agree to disagree.

EDIT: You are obviously confusing me with someone else or have issues with reading comprehension. I've been nothing but a proponent of the M340i and what a great car it is going to be. However, for the money, my point is a new M3 can still be had for the same or less money. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices with what they choose to buy. Enjoy what you choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #75
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you have the chip on your shoulder bud. I'm happy you have an M, still doesn't change the discussion.

The only thing that hasn't changed is that a new gen 335/340 has never touched the previous M car on performance. The M340 is an incredible car but it is built for a different audience that is NOT tracking their car. YOU should be well aware of that rather than getting your feathers ruffled. We can agree to disagree.

EDIT: You are obviously confusing me with someone else or have issues with reading comprehension. I've been nothing but a proponent of the M340i and what a great car it is going to be. However, for the money, my point is a new M3 can still be had for the same or less money. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices with what they choose to buy. Enjoy what you choose.
Feel better now? Yes, I pretty much admitted that I quoted the wrong thread...3 hours sleep and small screen will do that. It’s all good , I’m extremely happy with my choices , so far.

Why are you hung up on the tracking part?!? I NEVER SAID THE M340 would be this track monster!! Never! I did say that if one is so inclined they could take it to track and have fun without the car exploding OR is it only ///Ms are allowed on a track?? Most owners don’t even step foot on said track.

Like for like I highly doubt the 2020 M3 can be had for same or less money...and I expect it to be an order of magnitude better than the M340.

And yes I do have a chip on my shoulder when people make generalizations without having any facts! Just “oh my car is better because it’s a true M”, and so what?
To each his own, enjoy what you have... and be thankful you have the opportunity to do so... talk about first world problems ...things could be a lot worse!

Last edited by BigSky702; 03-30-2019 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 12:19 AM   #76
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
And yes I do have a chip on my shoulder when people make generalizations without having any facts! Just “oh my car is better because it’s a true M”, and so what?
To each his own, enjoy what you have... and be thankful you have the opportunity to do so... talk about first world problems ...things could be a lot worse!
The problem is you're fighting a natural human response. Most people who buy an M car enjoy, among other things, the exclusivity of the car and the fact that it's distinctly different from the others, and oh by the way, paid a hefty premium. As such, the reaction of BMW slapping M logos all over lesser cars is not positive. No one cares that much, but the sentiment is that it's sort of a poser move.

Just like if you buy a name brand piece of clothing and the company signs a deal with Walmart, and now everyone is wearing it. It cheapens the brand and illicits a negative response from early adopters.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #77
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
The problem is you're fighting a natural human response. Most people who buy an M car enjoy, among other things, the exclusivity of the car and the fact that it's distinctly different from the others, and oh by the way, paid a hefty premium. As such, the reaction of BMW slapping M logos all over lesser cars is not positive. No one cares that much, but the sentiment is that it's sort of a poser move.

Just like if you buy a name brand piece of clothing and the company signs a deal with Walmart, and now everyone is wearing it. It cheapens the brand and illicits a negative response from early adopters.
Got it... and this is coming from someone who loves the ///M brand!
I’m still vacillating over my choice to remain in an M or try something new temporarily.

The crazy part is without knowing my background, someone will lump me in with
that “crowd”. At this point I’m disappointed with BMW marketing, the M340 is just shy of the 2019 540ix in weight! Which is shaping up to be a different dynamic than what I was expecting...

By the way fashion designers do it all the time Michael Kors (Michael by Michael kors), Armani (A/X) ... etc

This is not isolated to the car manufacturers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #78
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
It's ok just peel off the "40i" part of the badging and you have instant M3. No one will be the wiser. Easiest M3 badging ever! IND will go out of business!
Nah, they'll still sell you the black ones

The bigger question is, will it be more expensive than the M3 badge due to more letters, or less expensive because of the model's relative position in the lineup?

Your move, IND
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      04-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #79
2015M4inCT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

1. I already OWN a full M. So I know and appreciate what it’s capable of.
3. I don’t know if the m340 is for me, no one does at this point. It’s not on dealers lots yet. But, if it doesn’t fit, more than likely I’m back in an M ( M5 ).
4. I simply stated the car has “track” options like enhanced cooling.

To others the M340 will be a lot of car for money. It’s all subjective. Can’t wait for you to get lapped by an M5 or Porsche. Keep it in perspective buddy.

I owned a 2016 340i 6spd with the "track handling package" with the BBK. I also owned a 2013 335is with "enhanced cooling". Neither compares from a suspension standpoint to my M4. No comparison. The 340i felt like a Camry each and every time I switched between the M4 and it. The 335is sounded great, better than the M4 in my opinion, but its suspension was a mess - especially in the rear.

The M cars will always be leaps and bounds ahead of the Msport or any other non-M when it comes to the suspension and its tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #80
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015M4inCT View Post
Quote:

1. I already OWN a full M. So I know and appreciate what it's capable of.
3. I don't know if the m340 is for me, no one does at this point. It's not on dealers lots yet. But, if it doesn't fit, more than likely I'm back in an M ( M5 ).
4. I simply stated the car has "track" options like enhanced cooling.

To others the M340 will be a lot of car for money. It's all subjective. Can't wait for you to get lapped by an M5 or Porsche. Keep it in perspective buddy.

I owned a 2016 340i 6spd with the "track handling package" with the BBK. I also owned a 2013 335is with "enhanced cooling". Neither compares from a suspension standpoint to my M4. No comparison. The 340i felt like a Camry each and every time I switched between the M4 and it. The 335is sounded great, better than the M4 in my opinion, but its suspension was a mess - especially in the rear.

The M cars will always be leaps and bounds ahead of the Msport or any other non-M when it comes to the suspension and its tuning.
Yep, well said. For the most part it's just an entirely different demographic that buys the 330 / 340 (and let me stress that it's a perfectly fine automobile).

That said, I was just completely shocked at how many people on that forum thought that they were buying the "new M car" (their words not mine) and were willing to actually argue about it. Great marketing by BMW at the end of the day though.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #81
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Another thing is look at the M3 on the lift and compare it to a non M 3 series. BMW didn't change all of its suspension components just for the hell of it. Again its not for everyone but you can't argue that ///M is just a badge because its not even though BMW is sorta screwing themselves with all these non M....M "lite" models.
      04-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #82
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I'm not arguing that the Mxxx model will somehow be leaps and bounds over a current or even recently previous model ///M. What I am trying to say is each person places value in their cars differently. SOme people place comfort and creature features over performance, and to them an ///M badge is meaningless... I'm just trying to get across, don't be so quick to judge those in a non-M car, or think someone is simply posing due to marketing's bright idea to place badges every damn where... that's all... Hope that gets my point across finally and we can go on enjoying our rides.

From my perspective , I came from a Q50 to an F30, which was an immensely better driving experience, to an M4 which I love. I have never sat in an M340i to judge either way whether it fits my bill, it may; or it may not. But, at least I have the option of staying in an ///M if it doesn't work.

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-02-2019 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #83
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Another thing is look at the M3 on the lift and compare it to a non M 3 series. BMW didn't change all of its suspension components just for the hell of it. Again its not for everyone but you can't argue that ///M is just a badge because its not even though BMW is sorta screwing themselves with all these non M....M "lite" models.
Not sure if that was for me, but I never said that. I KNOW the mechanical differences between the two. How else could BMW justify creating such a car, if there was NO difference.

The issue is with the "crowd" that you're referring to, not BMW. If people are not willing to do their research or choose to be deluded, that's on them and their pocketbook. I really don't care, I enjoy my cars regardless. But I do have an issue with people lumping me into that "crowd" not being aware of my background and my love for ///M or, perhaps even M550i or M340i.

As soon as I got out of the X4 loaner and back into my M4, I felt alive! Yes, I could tell a difference..

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #84
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:

In all fairness, let's compare apples to apples... and this is not to say it's better than an M3, ok?

BUT there is a slight possiblity the M340i got it right and is leaps and bounds over the 335i or 340i M-sport... So you're experience is moot, it's not the same car for the most part. That's all I was saying. If BMW didnt make the right adjustments, then poo on them!

I will definitely test the hell out of the car when it arrives, if it sucks I'm not signing the dotted line... been there done that with Infiniti!

**** I just re-read ALL of my posts and not one time did I say the two cars (M and non-M) were comparable, or that Mxxx whatever is better than ///M ... So I don't understand where the confusion is coming from???

Did I just say poo?? damn I need more sleep!!

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-02-2019 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #85
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Nice sunny day, hit the highway with everything in sport plus, windows down!!!

Think it's time to cancel the M340 order!

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #86
yamer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 6MT

I'll chime in since I have an M4 and my buddy has a 340i M performance.

Got a lot of seat time in his car in the past year.

The 340i m performance is more fun in the city, low speeds, in and out of traffic. I think it's down to the fact that its AWD system doesn't have any traction issues + the B58 is great down low. Quick shifts for it being an automatic as well (the M performance exhaust is incredible on them).

My M4 feels more special to drive, more for top end/highway speeds. I have to be going over a certain speed to not worry about traction issues when I plant the throttle hard.

The aggressiveness, general feel of the car is what separates them.

Last edited by yamer; 04-10-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      04-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #87
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamer View Post

The 340i m performance is more fun in the city, low speeds, in and out of traffic. I think is down to the fact that its AWD system doesn't have any traction issues + the B58 is great down low. Quick shifts for it being an automatic as well (the M performance exhaust is very incredible on them).

My M4 feels more special to drive, more for top end/highway speeds. I have to be going over a certain speed to not worry about traction issues when I plant the throttle hard.

Sounds like you need some upsized Pilot Sport 4S
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #88
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamer View Post

The 340i m performance is more fun in the city, low speeds, in and out of traffic. I think is down to the fact that its AWD system doesn't have any traction issues + the B58 is great down low. Quick shifts for it being an automatic as well (the M performance exhaust is very incredible on them).

I think you’re right. If that’s your usage pattern, 340 awd will be more optimized.

Around town is not where m4 advantage will shine, and drag racing against automatic awd cars is tough if you have a powerful rwd car, and more so if it’s 6MT

Commute on R tires like cup 2 if you want to maximize your chances from a dig
Appreciate 0