BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #23
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
I have to believe that some of that aural awesomeness makes its way into the cabin.

Man, all these clips of the MPE makes me want to put it on the second the car comes in.
lol. Believe what you want. But it doesn't. Hear it for yourself. There is a reason the went with the ASD sound. Inside is well insulated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaoivan View Post
Here is video that shows sound from inside with MPE. I think there is no difference. Or maybe LukasAT will undeceive us.

With Akrapovic, there is considerable difference of sound inside. I found it here.
Yeah. If you add down pipes. That's not just the EVO. Same thing with the MPE
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
yes as I said the diffrence is not really noticeable and I think a mic cant even record it for me there is slightly more drone coming from the back

btw found another good comparison video from stock to MPE

Damn. MPE sounds awesome. Too bad it doesn't change the inside sound
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #26
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I wouldn't say it doesn't change the sound inside. I have had mine for two days now and I think its noticeably louder and deeper across a broad range of driving conditions. The real question is whether its worth it for what is often a modest change in sound quality (inside), which I can't answer although I knew that before I bought it. I think the difference is more pronounced under aggressive driving. Accelerating recently under an overpass it sounded like a gunshot echoing off the sides (with the windows fully closed), which is something I never noticed with the stock exhaust unless the windows were open.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #27
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectisHatless View Post
I wouldn't say it doesn't change the sound inside. I have had mine for two days now and I think its noticeably louder and deeper across a broad range of driving conditions. The real question is whether its worth it for what is often a modest change in sound quality (inside), which I can't answer although I knew that before I bought it. I think the difference is more pronounced under aggressive driving. Accelerating recently under an overpass it sounded like a gunshot echoing off the sides (with the windows fully closed), which is something I never noticed with the stock exhaust unless the windows were open.
do you have DCT? if so how are the downshifts sound wise?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #28
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Is it a lot louder when cruising under efficient mode? (low rpms)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
do you have DCT? if so how are the downshifts sound wise?
I do. If you are referring to the slur that has shown up in some videos, I think that is there, but I can't really tell for sure inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #30
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Is it a lot louder when cruising under efficient mode? (low rpms)
Yes but not in huge way. Just idling the car is a little louder and deeper.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
I do. If you are referring to the slur that has shown up in some videos, I think that is there, but I can't really tell for sure inside the car.
I am referring to when you downshift under load does the exhaust bark? or is it quite like it current is when you down shift

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #32
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR
Quote:
I am referring to when you downshift under load does the exhaust bark? or is it quite like it current is when you down shift
It definitely barks on downshift under load. The MPE really is amazing.
- 2008 E92 ///M3 - AW, CF Leather Trim, 6MT - Mods: Black Grills, Black Gills, CF mirrors - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #33
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaoivan
Here is video that shows sound from inside with MPE. I think there is no difference. Or maybe LukasAT will undeceive us.

With Akrapovic, there is considerable difference of sound inside. I found it here.
Can't compare as one has DPs and a tune which completely changes the sound and engine characteristics
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:36 AM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
yes as I said the diffrence is not really noticeable and I think a mic cant even record it for me there is slightly more drone coming from the back

btw found another good comparison video from stock to MPE

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #35
Style666M
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F82 M4 DCT

Here is video of MPE. Sounds great and also I noticed a difference of sound from inside. It's deeper from inside and IMO great. We were talking that there is no change from inside but now I believe that is.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
lol. Believe what you want. But it doesn't. Hear it for yourself. There is a reason the went with the ASD sound. Inside is well insulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Damn. MPE sounds awesome. Too bad it doesn't change the inside sound
Have you heard it in person yourself to make such comments .

I can confirm that the MPE does change the sound inside the cabin. Active sound pipes in intake noise, not exhaust noise. The exhaust noise you hear inside the cabin is the actual exhaust noise, so changing the exhaust will change what it sounds like.

The MPE brought a much deeper tone to the sound inside the cabin, it also has more growl to it which is more reminicent of the signature BMW I6 sound IMO. Videos do not capture this well.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #37
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I can confirm that the MPE does change the sound inside the cabin. Active sound pipes in intake noise, not exhaust noise. The exhaust noise you hear inside the cabin is the actual exhaust noise, so changing the exhaust will change what it sounds like.

The MPE brought a much deeper tone to the sound inside the cabin, it also has more growl to it which is more reminicent of the signature BMW I6 sound IMO. Videos do not capture this well.
Yes I can agree it changes also the sound inside the cabin! and I also agree that videos dont capture that very good ... see my video
      11-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #38
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT
Quote:

Yes I can agree it changes also the sound inside the cabin! and I also agree that videos dont capture that very good ... see my video
+1

There is a definite difference in the cabin, both windows up or down you can hear a much richer sound oozing into the cabin. The best fun is when you have the car in sport/sport+ with the windows down and can hear how mad this exhaust really is. Videos really do this exhaust no justice.
- 2008 E92 ///M3 - AW, CF Leather Trim, 6MT - Mods: Black Grills, Black Gills, CF mirrors - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #39
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

just one question but the valves from the exhaust open after some minutes after start up in sport/sport+ .. doesnt matter if cold or warm?! I mean when I start up the car and put it into start the valves are still closed ..

does someone know why? I thought they are electronical
      11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #40
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
just one question but the valves from the exhaust open after some minutes after start up in sport/sport+ .. doesnt matter if cold or warm?! I mean when I start up the car and put it into start the valves are still closed ..

does someone know why? I thought they are electronical
On startup from what I have experienced the valves will open up on a full cold start, however if the motor is even a little bit warm they will close immediately and soften the tone all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #41
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
On startup from what I have experienced the valves will open up on a full cold start, however if the motor is even a little bit warm they will close immediately and soften the tone all the way down.
yes thats right, on startup they are open anyway ... but afterwards they close and in the first minutes you cant controll them via the sport button ... after some minuts you can open/close it via the button ... is this only my car?!
      11-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #42
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yes thats right, on startup they are open anyway ... but afterwards they close and in the first minutes you cant controll them via the sport button ... after some minuts you can open/close it via the button ... is this only my car?!
The throttle button if in efficient, sport or sports+ does not directly open and close the valve. Rather it determines at what part of throttle engagement the valve will open up. In sport and sport+ the valve will open more frequently than that of when in efficient mode. Only a "Golf tee" mod can keep the valve open at all times. Also remember the valve closes to prevent drone at certain rpm.

Hope that answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The throttle button if in efficient, sport or sports+ does not directly open and close the valve. Rather it determines at what part of throttle engagement the valve will open up. In sport and sport+ the valve will open more frequently than that of when in efficient mode. Only a "Golf tee" mod can keep the valve open at all times. Also remember the valve closes to prevent drone at certain rpm.

Hope that answers your question.
Yes I know that BUT as I said after start up .. in the first 2 minutes doesnt matter if warm or cold the valves open .. doesnt matter if you are in efficient or sport mode .. also in high rpm. after start up i put it in sport .. drive of and I can tell immediately after about 2 minutes when the vavles are finally open, but not from the beginning
      11-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #44
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ok. Thanks. Great explaination. I stand corrected. Others here are confirming the same thing as well so it's not just perception. I do need to hear it in person. I drove the M5 with the comp pack and the exhaust and I was blown away it sounded so damn good. If I get the same vibe once I drive the m4 w/ MPE....go ahead BMW. Take my money.
Appreciate 0