European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-19-2015, 03:33 AM   #1
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

///M Tuning for the S55

xxxx

Last edited by James_m4; 04-13-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 03:55 AM   #2
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I am most likely going with the JB4 eventually (around £600)

The only think that is stopping me now is a chat with the dealer that said BMW can now check at any point what the ECU is doing and void the car warranty instantly.

I will probably wait a while and look out for what Evolve make in the mean time as well..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:20 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I feel that one of the first people to speak with, would be, Litchfields. They are doing piggyback tuning as well, but Ian will have done so much testing and research with the product, that it will probably be one of the safest bets out there. I believe that they are up around 525bhp, and around 485 lb/ft torque, and from memory, just over £700. They were running the Akra exhaust as well, so maybe that added something to these figures. But definitely worth speaking to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:26 AM   #4
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
I feel that one of the first people to speak with, would be, Litchfields. They are doing piggyback tuning as well, but Ian will have done so much testing and research with the product, that it will probably be one of the safest bets out there. I believe that they are up around 525bhp, and around 485 lb/ft torque, and from memory, just over £700. They were running the Akra exhaust as well, so maybe that added something to these figures. But definitely worth speaking to them.
Thanks Simon.

I will ring Litchfields now
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuka View Post
Interesting chat you had.... I wonder, how that would actually stand up to scrutiny. Innocent until proven guilty and if someone goes with a piggyback tune and removes it without trace I'd find it hard to believe that without any hard evidence BMW could 100% prove anything.

Yes the software could show different reading for an amount of time, but what's to say that isn't due to fuel quality, ambient conditions/ sea level etc.

I'm not saying your wrong, but the conversation has some more mileage in it me thinks...

Baring in mind a true piggy back intercepts/changes signals to the engine after leaving the ecu - so if the ecu commands 10psi boost and the tuning box adds a further 5psi the ecu is still reading that 10psi was requested/achieved.

I note that the following seem to offer something in the UK.

- Evolve - Piggyback
- Litchfield Version 1 (current) - Piggyback
- Litchfield Version 2 (R&D Feb 15) - Remap
- DMS - Remap
- Rebellion Automotive - Piggyback

And as I say across the pond, from previous experience BMS (JB4) are a good bet. But again Piggyback.

Yes I kinda always think they try to scare me off tunes with their warranty talk. He did say however he had no official information on how to act upon aftermarket tune.

One interesting thing he mentioned also was that catless downpipes should not be an issue and would only void warranty if they could pin any claims onto the downpipes.

and for £700 Litchfield seems like a great shout at 500+bhp!
Appreciate 0