Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

M4 Convertible trunk luggage capacity

I know this has been considered for the prior model but has anyone ordering the vert had a chance to see what luggage types/dimensions fit the larger M4 Cabrio's trunk, especially with roof down?

Doing ED with wife on Sept 12th and will have fairly minimal luggage so hoping two std. carry-ons with small backpacks might fit in there, again with roof down.

Cheers, C.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
I know this has been considered for the prior model but has anyone ordering the vert had a chance to see what luggage types/dimensions fit the larger M4 Cabrio's trunk, especially with roof down?

Doing ED with wife on Sept 12th and will have fairly minimal luggage so hoping two std. carry-ons with small backpacks might fit in there, again with roof down.
I did an ED in an e93 m3 and you'll have tons of space as the dimensions of the new M4 are slightly larger, plus there's 2 options for load-through instead of 1 (a larger option instead of just the ski / arm rest one), and there's a new easy load feature for when the top's down.

For our last ED we had exactly what you list and it fit fine in the truck but don't forget then you have the whole back seat area too - we ended up doing shopping, etc and putting our new stuff in the trunk and our luggage in the back seat (I always put the back rest down so I don't scuff up the leather).

Since then I've begun to always check bags so I bought "big brown" which is a Briggs & Riley 27". This monster pretty much takes up the back of the trunk and then in front and around it you can get some back packs, etc. if you want the top down too.

We're planning on 2 weeks in October so I'm thinking we'll bring the 27" briggs, a 24", 2 back packs, my camera backpack and my wife will probably have a small shoulder bag as well.

Here's a pic of the f83 load through:

Roof barrier up:

Roof barrier down, but the space expands as it goes forward:

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-03-2014 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Good to hear GrussGott - I need to revisit the published dimensions and get after sizing my carry-ons but threw this out there ahead of time as I know many of you have dealt with this already in some detail.
Toyed with the BMW designed luggage set for the back seat but really I think over the top and my current luggage will likely fit just fine. Would be nice to not always have to close the roof on casual sight-seeing stops, hence the query re what actually fits in the trunk, top-down - not planning on adding too much to our load so hoping to keep everything in trunk if possible. Of course, as you say, the through-load and back seat space is substantial.
Would be great to see pics of someones luggage in the M4 vert's trunk space and hopefully we can get to see that before the end of the summer. In the mean time, need to break out the measuring tape! .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Would be nice to not always have to close the roof on casual sight-seeing stops
I'd be careful with that ... the load through is easy to open. Also we checked with our insurance (state farm) and if the top isn't up they won't cover theft. And I've never had it happen to me but I've heard of people chucking stuff in there like gum or coffee cups, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I'd be careful with that ... the load through is easy to open. Also we checked with our insurance (state farm) and if the top isn't up they won't cover theft. And I've never had it happen to me but I've heard of people chucking stuff in there like gum or coffee cups, etc.
! Yep, I have nasty visions of some cowboy flicking his still lit cig butt onto the leather upholstery - not funny!! The roof will be closed 99% of the time we stop to wander.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hey GrussGott - do you still have the link to the pics you shared - tried copying and pasting from your pic links but can only get to the images themselves - was wanting to read the article (presumably on AutoEvolution.com which I also could not nail down!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
do you still have the link to the pics you shared
Sure! Here ya go: http://www.autoevolution.com/reviews...view-2014.html

It's a review for the non-M though which is why you probably couldn't fit it. Specs should all be the same though.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Thanks for posting the trunk space for F8x. It kind of look similar config as E9x, but look bigger than 93's trunk from picture.

Quote:
I did an ED in an e93 m3 and you'll have tons of space as the dimensions of the new M4 are slightly larger, plus there's 2 options for load-through instead of 1 (a larger option instead of just the ski / arm rest one), and there's a new easy load feature for when the top's down.

For our last ED we had exactly what you list and it fit fine in the truck but don't forget then you have the whole back seat area too - we ended up doing shopping, etc and putting our new stuff in the trunk and our luggage in the back seat (I always put the back rest down so I don't scuff up the leather).

Since then I've begun to always check bags so I bought "big brown" which is a Briggs & Riley 27". This monster pretty much takes up the back of the trunk and then in front and around it you can get some back packs, etc. if you want the top down too.

We're planning on 2 weeks in October so I'm thinking we'll bring the 27" briggs, a 24", 2 back packs, my camera backpack and my wife will probably have a small shoulder bag as well.

Roof barrier up:

Roof barrier down, but the space expands as it goes forward:
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Thanks for posting the trunk space for F8x. It kind of look similar config as E9x, but look bigger than 93's trunk from picture.

What kills me though is that in all these 'professional' reviews I cannot find a single pic of real world luggage (I mean typical carry-on or similar bags) sitting in the available space - how hard is it to consider that this might be something most folk would be interested in seeing - quite bizarre. Seems that most folk have to go to the dealership and test fit everything in the nearest available look-alike model. I know some posters have provided pics but these reviews are seriously lacking in this respect - OK, whining off!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What kills me though is that in all these 'professional' reviews I cannot find a single pic of real world luggage (I mean typical carry-on or similar bags) sitting in the available space - how hard is it to consider that this might be something most folk would be interested in seeing - quite bizarre. Seems that most folk have to go to the dealership and test fit everything in the nearest available look-alike model. I know some posters have provided pics but these reviews are seriously lacking in this respect - OK, whining off!
Just to be clear I am not referring to reviews here but to those on sites like Autoevolution etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What kills me though is that in all these 'professional' reviews I cannot find a single pic of real world luggage
There is a video review from a british dude of the m4 vert (ymb one) where he covers this... Unfortunately I don't have time to find it now but when I do I'll post it. I think he was in Spain...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is a video review from a british dude of the m4 vert (ymb one) where he covers this... Unfortunately I don't have time to find it now but when I do I'll post it. I think he was in Spain...
That would be excellent - I will hunt around in the meantime to see if I ca track it given what you have provided/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That would be excellent - I will hunt around in the meantime to see if I ca track it given what you have provided/
Oops! Sorry, it was an M-sport (M4 vs M-sport ... is there a difference? )

Anyway, he covers the car very extensively including a lot of detail on the trunk. I've cued this up to the part where he puts in his luggage (edit: it's at 14:11), but there's a lot more detail earlier in the vid too. A little slow, but if you like details, it's a fantastic video:

For people who want to know about actually using the car daily, it's probably one of the best reviews I've come across.

2nd edit: if you want I'll go throw 2 standard roll-aboards into my trunk and take a few pics - should be similar with mine being smaller
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Looking for an image that shows whether luggage like this (preferably 2 pieces) can fit in the M4 or 4 series convertible with roof down??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oops! Sorry, it was an M-sport (M4 vs M-sport ... is there a difference? )

Anyway, he covers the car very extensively including a lot of detail on the trunk. I've cued this up to the part where he puts in his luggage (edit: it's at 14:11), but there's a lot more detail earlier in the vid too. A little slow, but if you like details, it's a fantastic video:

For people who want to know about actually using the car daily, it's probably one of the best reviews I've come across.

2nd edit: if you want I'll go throw 2 standard roll-aboards into my trunk and take a few pics - should be similar with mine being smaller

Ah - we posted almost exact same time - I will look at the video - thx for finding it!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Great find GrussGott - exactly the sort of demo I was after - now just need exact dimensions so to confirm how my own luggage might fit (never satisfied!!)

Took some snaps from the vid to illustrate the luggage he had put in:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
now just need exact dimensions so to confirm how my own luggage might fit (never satisfied!!)
Ok, I just did a measurement of mine and the f83 should be slightly larger.

I used our nothing-in-here-to-steal luggage with the following dimensions:
* Wife's Travel Pro: 24h x 16w x 10 deep
* My High Sierra: 21h x 17w x 10 deep

The E93 trunk is 30" deep x 28" width x 12" height with a big caveat ... with the divider down the 12" height comes forward 9" then starts decreasing until you have 8" of height. You'll see in the pics.

Trunk Depth:

Trunk Width:

Luggage Pre-Load:

Travel Pro loaded for top-down action:

Both bags loaded for top-down action:

Partition Closed:

Travel Pro loaded for max space:

Both bags loaded for max space:

Words of wisdom:
  1. Do not smash the divider down - it will jiggle lose during top operations and freeze the top which then has to be held closed while someone holds the raise/lower button
  2. With both bags loaded flat there is plenty of space on top of the rear bag and around them for other backpacks assuming they're not jam stuffed
  3. Sometimes it's easier to just unpack stuff from your bags and put it around the bags if you want to fit everything in

EDIT: an example of #3 is running/workout shoes: I never wear these on the plane or while driving but they take up a lot of space in luggage ... that's a good thing with a convertible because they can easily be taken out of your luggage and stashed somewhere else in the car for the road trip, then jam packed for the airplane home. Another example is your shower/shave kit or coats, etc.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-06-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I just did a measurement of mine and the f83 should be slightly larger.[/LIST]
GrussGott, you're the man!

Exactly what I was after - excellent. Really does look like we should have no problems with our gear this Sept - always like to do minimal luggage, preferably just carry-on (which beats the pants off over waiting by baggage carousels).

Thx again, C.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
GrussGott, you're the man!

Exactly what I was after - excellent. Really does look like we should have no problems with our gear this Sept - always like to do minimal luggage, preferably just carry-on (which beats the pants off over waiting by baggage carousels).

Thx again, C.
Np!

One other convertible tip: when they're new the top can sometimes stick when opening. This is typically caused by one of the posts (that insert into the windshield frame) getting slightly out of alignment as the car settles. The easy fix is some silicon lube - I had a small tube from some gym equip and that fixed the problem permanently. Just apply to the post and bingo, no more problems.

Just fyi, because you don't want something that small to detour you or have you sitting at a bimmer dealership for 5 hours while they assess it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #20
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey GrussGott - one clarification please: You mention the height of your High Sierra bag was 10" but also say that the divider slants downward at about 9" out so that you are left with only 8" height at it's lowest point towards the vehicle rear - am I reading this correct? If so then:

1) The black bag is 10" deep but appears to fit OK under the divider - is that because the divider remans high at the back for long enough before it takes the obvious dip you see in the pics? and

2) Curiously, in the pic with both bags lying horizontally, it looks like the High Sierra bag also seems to fit under the lowest point of the divider i.e. the blue bag is 10" high but the divider should be only 8" high at that point - no? It is a snug at that point but still appears to fit!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Np!

One other convertible tip: when they're new the top can sometimes stick when opening. This is typically caused by one of the posts (that insert into the windshield frame) getting slightly out of alignment as the car settles. The easy fix is some silicon lube - I had a small tube from some gym equip and that fixed the problem permanently. Just apply to the post and bingo, no more problems.

Just fyi, because you don't want something that small to detour you or have you sitting at a bimmer dealership for 5 hours while they assess it.
VERY useful - thx - will be so equipped!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #22
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey GrussGott - one clarification please: You mention the height of your High Sierra bag was 10" but also say that the divider slants downward at about 9" out so that you are left with only 8" height at it's lowest point towards the vehicle rear - am I reading this correct? If so then:

1) The black bag is 10" deep but appears to fit OK under the divider - is that because the divider remans high at the back for long enough before it takes the obvious dip you see in the pics? and

2) Curiously, in the pic with both bags lying horizontally, it looks like the High Sierra bag also seems to fit under the lowest point of the divider i.e. the blue bag is 10" high but the divider should be only 8" high at that point - no? It is a snug at that point but still appears to fit!
Wait a minute - I just noticed that your divider appears to be sitting on top of you tape measure in the pic with the two bags lying horizontal - is that why the 10" deep blue bag appears to fit what should be an 8" opening!
Appreciate 0