ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
SM3RF80
SM3RF80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

VRSF High Flow Single Mid-pipe Upgrade for 2015 – 2019 BMW M3 & M4 F80/F82 S55

Customer Service: 9/10 I have been a VRSF customer for almost a decade and the only time I had an issue was when I was unable to communicate with Tiago while he had issues with the sales@vr-speed email account. Long story short, there was a big miscommunication and he made things right. A VRSF customer posted an awesome Youtube video that can assist with the installation of these mid-pipes (link to video here:
. When VRSF has new products, they provide discounts to customers that post reviews and videos, which shows that they value customer service and want to be transparent.

Fitment/Construction: 8/10 The fitment was pretty much spot on and the welds looked perfect. The only critique that I have is that I have a loud rattle when in D at idle. After making sure the exhaust was as tight to the bottom of the car as possible and away from the bracket, I still had a loud rattle. Because clearance is so tight in the area of the bracket (where the exhaust splits from single to dual again), I added a couple washers to each bolt that mounts the bracket and the noise was gone. Others may not have this issue if they pay closer attention to the clearance to the bottom of the car and the bracket and they use the clamps provided in the kit. I chose to have my mid-pipe welded to the muffler and we may have welded it without it being completely straight and because the welded setup is more rigid, it have have contributed to the even tighter clearance. Everything else had a perfect fitment and came with the proper hardware and gaskets.

Sound: 9/10? I put a question mark after 9/10 because if you already have catless downpipes and are a dad and old/lame like me, it is a bit too loud with the stock muffler flaps open. However, I would think that most F80/F82 owners would enjoy this mid-pipe and not be bothered by how loud it is and most importantly, it got rid of that fart/rasp noise. Oh..and it’s still super quiet with the flaps closed.

Performance: 8/10 I definitely feel a bump in power but it was hard to tell with the first pull. The motor may have needed a little time to adjust but after driving around for a while, I could tell there was more power, especially in the mid range.

Overall: This VRSF mid-pipe is the best offering out there if you are looking for a better sound and want to get rid of that fart/rasp noise. Overall score is a 8.5/10.
Attached Images

Last edited by SM3RF80; 09-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: UPDATES
Appreciate 3
808elise378.00
b18flip130.50
smiff57.50
      08-26-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
rph_gunner
Young Buck
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 SMB M3 ZCP

Do you have closer pics of where to add washers to give more clearance and prevent rattling? Sounds like this is an issue with a lot of people installing this midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:50 AM   #3
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Looks like in one picture, you used exhaust clamps to join it to the muffler.

Then in two other photos, it’s welded?

Is that correct, you changed how you attached it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph_gunner View Post
Do you have closer pics of where to add washers to give more clearance and prevent rattling? Sounds like this is an issue with a lot of people installing this midpipe.
Seems to be the same issue a lot of people have with the AA midpipe too. I have the the AA midpipe and have this same issue. You add 2-3 washers to each of the 6 bolts to where the brace bolts to the car - so you would need 12-18 washers total. So it would go car-washers-brace with the bolt going through all 3 things.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 competition 2018

Looks great and almost identical to AA. I and many others (just do a search on this forum) have had fitment issues with the AA concerning the center brace and looks like this pipe is no exception, although it is half the price...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everling View Post
Seems to be the same issue a lot of people have with the AA midpipe too. I have the the AA midpipe and have this same issue. You add 2-3 washers to each of the 6 bolts to where the brace bolts to the car - so you would need 12-18 washers total. So it would go car-washers-brace with the bolt going through all 3 things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRman View Post
Looks great and almost identical to AA. I and many others (just do a search on this forum) have had fitment issues with the AA concerning the center brace and looks like this pipe is no exception, although it is half the price...
Are any of you on stock downpipes? If not, which downpipes do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
depaulhifi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Are any of you on stock downpipes? If not, which downpipes do you have?
I'm running Eisenmann downpipes and my AA mid fits like a charm. No fuss, no muss, no washers, no rattling, no BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
chipper1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 zcp DCT Alpine tuned

Anyone else running this pipe i have there cat-less Down pipes and really worried about it being too loud with no cats at all and cant even imagine what cold start sounds like I am in the process of getting cold start deleted anyway.
but the vids are just hard to tell if its livable in economy or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
meadowsdb
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M8 Comp Grand Coupe

Very sweet! What all mods do you have to keep up with the cat?
'15 Audi S4 (500 HP)
'15 Charger Hellcat (1050 HP)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Looks like in one picture, you used exhaust clamps to join it to the muffler.

Then in two other photos, it’s welded?

Is that correct, you changed how you attached it.
I welded mine also.
Could not see a good way to install the awkward clamps for the muffler.
The VRSF pipes are expanded as if to slip over the pipes on the muffler, but they aren't big enough to do that. I think the idea is that the VRSF clamps just hold them together like Chinese finger cuffs, but it looked like shit that way. And I wasn't convinced that they wouldn't leak. I had to expand my pipes a few millimeters (I have a pipe expander) in order to slip them over the muffler pipes.

Welding it will make it more work when I want to change the axle back, but it's a rock-solid fit with no huge, goofy clamps.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Any stinky-ness after removing the down stream cats? Or is the cabin still exhaust stench free after these? I just picked up my car, and have plans for many road trips, sometimes 12-16 hours a day in it, hate to have the exhaust stench inside after removing the secondary cats..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
Unheardmyth
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ram View Post
Any stinky-ness after removing the down stream cats? Or is the cabin still exhaust stench free after these? I just picked up my car, and have plans for many road trips, sometimes 12-16 hours a day in it, hate to have the exhaust stench inside after removing the secondary cats..
Nope, I've been running mine for about a year now, multiple road trips and daily driven. Cabin smells great 👍
      04-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ram View Post
None...just cut them off and go
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #14
ashiifi
f82_s55
Rep
Drives: F90, G80, F82, E92 M3

Does anyone know the size of the clamps for the rear section? Just bought a used midpipe and need to replace those rear two clamps. Looks like VRSF doesn't sell them individually.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 02:40 PM   #15
talalaq
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiifi View Post
Does anyone know the size of the clamps for the rear section? Just bought a used midpipe and need to replace those rear two clamps. Looks like VRSF doesn't sell them individually.
Did you ever find clamps?
Appreciate 0