Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #45
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Never. I'm wondering how many people have experienced this who have their windows tinted. Theoretically, your interior will be dark save for the front windshield and so glare will be more intense. One of the reasons I have grown to dislike dark window tint is that it makes the windshield more relatively bright and creates a lot of glare. It's like driving in a dark tunnel with one bright light at the end: it's going to be more intense than if you didn't have tint because your pupils would be more dialated with tints. I just don't enjoy the lighting ambiance created with dark tinted windows.
Technically the light in the front windows is brighter from a relative perspective, but all the glare, light and reflections coming in from the sides are genuinely mitigated. Overall light entering the car is significantly reduced with tinted windows, so "relativity" aside the net light inside is way different. I definitely notice when I get in a car without tints that it feels way brighter and I need sunglasses on a sunny day. With really dark tint (5% or lower) I can see the "tunnel vision" a bit, but with 15-35% it dramatically reduces overall light and glare, and if anything your eyes are better adjusted to focussing straight ahead of you where they should be.

To the OP - how hard did you have to try to park in a spot to get that reflection JUST right? Is it something you notice continuously on a recurring drive? That little strip is so small that even 20 or 30 mins later the angle of inclination of the sun will change (at most points in the day) enough to reflect somewhere else. I liked the matte CF in the last generation better, but the reflections never bothered me all that much, and I certainly don't think they got any worse after I tinted my windows either.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Technically the light in the front windows is brighter from a relative perspective, but all the glare, light and reflections coming in from the sides are genuinely mitigated.
That's what I mean. With your pupils more dilated because of the lower tint, the light from the front will be relatively brighter. Your eyes will constantly have to keep adjusting from the dark interior that is created by the dark side tint, to the untinted front, with a more contrasting light coming through the front windshield.

Quote:
Overall light entering the car is significantly reduced with tinted windows, so "relativity" aside the net light inside is way different. I definitely notice when I get in a car without tints that it feels way brighter and I need sunglasses on a sunny day. With really dark tint (5% or lower) I can see the "tunnel vision" a bit, but with 15-35% it dramatically reduces overall light and glare, and if anything your eyes are better adjusted to focussing straight ahead of you where they should be.
Except it's more straining for your eyes to have contrasting light from the interior vs the front windshield. I've had tint on several of my cars, it's actually mostly for heat and style. I find that the uneven light is more taxing than even light while wearing sunglasses. That "tunnel vision" you mentioned is what is undesirable to me. This is especially important for those who track, where you are looking through your side windows just as often or more.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #47
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
That's what I mean. With your pupils more dilated because of the lower tint, the light from the front will be relatively brighter. Your eyes will constantly have to keep adjusting from the dark interior that is created by the dark side tint, to the untinted front, with a more contrasting light coming through the front windshield.

Except it's more straining for your eyes to have contrasting light from the interior vs the front windshield. I've had tint on several of my cars, it's actually mostly for heat and style. I find that the uneven light is more taxing than even light while wearing sunglasses. That "tunnel vision" you mentioned is what is undesirable to me. This is especially important for those who track, where you are looking through your side windows just as often or more.
I think you're definitely an exception to the rule. I tint my windows because they make it easier to see in the daytime, not because they strain my eyes or just because they look cool (but they do look really friggin cool).

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #48
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think you're definitely an exception to the rule. I tint my windows because they make it easier to see in the daytime, not because they strain my eyes or just because they look cool (but they do look really friggin cool).
This is without sunglasses. With sunglasses it helps, but then it becomes less about light entering and more about heat, privacy, and aesthetics. Because if it was about light alone, that's solved with sunglasses alone.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #49
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Technically the light in the front windows is brighter from a relative perspective, but all the glare, light and reflections coming in from the sides are genuinely mitigated. Overall light entering the car is significantly reduced with tinted windows, so "relativity" aside the net light inside is way different. I definitely notice when I get in a car without tints that it feels way brighter and I need sunglasses on a sunny day. With really dark tint (5% or lower) I can see the "tunnel vision" a bit, but with 15-35% it dramatically reduces overall light and glare, and if anything your eyes are better adjusted to focussing straight ahead of you where they should be.

To the OP - how hard did you have to try to park in a spot to get that reflection JUST right? Is it something you notice continuously on a recurring drive? That little strip is so small that even 20 or 30 mins later the angle of inclination of the sun will change (at most points in the day) enough to reflect somewhere else. I liked the matte CF in the last generation better, but the reflections never bothered me all that much, and I certainly don't think they got any worse after I tinted my windows either.
Not difficult at all. I sit in traffic everyday for about 3 to 4 hours a day. This usually happens about 50% of the time on my roundtrip commute. I took the picture while I was sitting at a traffic light.

I have since picked up some Maui Jim Polarized sunglasses since it was eye exam time again this year and insurance takes care of the shades. My Oakley's were good but these new sunglasses are better. I have since been wearing them more often.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #50
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

And I should also point out my windows are tinted about 70% on the sides and 40% on the rear. I specifically did not want my black M3 ZCP looking murdered out. My windshield brow is tinted 5%. The glare is caused by the sun entering the windshield where it is not tinted.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #51
JesusLovesU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2005 Volkswagen  [0.00]
2013 Audi A4  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
And I should also point out my windows are tinted about 70% on the sides and 40% on the rear. I specifically did not want my black M3 ZCP looking murdered out. My windshield brow is tinted 5%. The glare is caused by the sun entering the windshield where it is not tinted.
Haha YES! Happened to me yesterday
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #52
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
I've never seen this, or at least I didn't notice it. Sort of think I would have, but then there's your picture which is pretty convincing. If I saw that a lot it might be duct tape time.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #53
TanzyBlueM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Competition

I keep a clean microfiber towel on the center armest/console since every vehicle I've owned up to this point with leather there will show wear in a few year since I like to rest my arm on it. I use it to cover that iDrive control area when it does blind me once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #54
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

Yes!

This has happened to me on many occasions, specially in the late afternoon!

And, I don't even have this C.F. trim. I am not a fan of this trim, it is way too shiny. I much prefer a matte finish.

It's really not the trim material itself, it's the heavy coat of polyurethane they put over it... Uugh! The fact that it's too
shiny also makes it highly susceptible to scratches!!

I've had this discussion with the "M-Studio", as mine was an "Individual" order, and they are aware, but no official
solution (bureaucratic testing protocols) was offered.

It would be great if they offered a matte C.F. instrument panel trim, as they do with the ("BMW Perf.") Alcantara -
Carbon Fiber (matte) center console piece. Or even the option of "Open Pore" wood trims a' la "Mercedes", would be nice!

Tinting the windshield causes glare (light diffusion - at night), can interfere with the HUD and is illegal in most states.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr._Who; 09-05-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #55
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
This is why I wear "driving glasses" during daylight hours.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #56
Monteblueem5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 m5

Maybe Bmw will do what Porsche did send you a check
For 115 bucks to buy a set of sun glasses Porsche
Owners complain about light Interior colors
Would Blind them when the sun was outBlind them when the sun was out
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #57
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

It may be from seating position too. This happens to my wife in her F80 daily, but ha/ never happened to me in mine. There is maybe a 9 inch height difference between us.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #58
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

It's definitely happened to me a couple of times
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #59
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Happens to me too (CF trim, no sunroof but no tint). Also annoying is sun reflecting off the HUD hardware or something that leaves a glare spot in my field of vision just above HUD info.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #60
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

tint your windshield
2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic DCT | ZCP | MS Springs | 20" Custom Vorsteiner VFN 512 | OEM CF Lip + Splitters | Injen Intake | EAS CF Seatbacks + Individual iND custom striping | OEM V2 Steering Wheel + custom trim | Pedal Haus | Remus Exhaust + AA Midpipe
IG: @Zayzel

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #61
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

Yes!

This has happened to me on many occasions, specially in the late afternoon!

And, I don't even have this C.F. trim. I am not a fan of this trim, it is way too shiny. I much prefer a matte finish.

It's really not the trim material itself, it's the heavy coat of polyurethane they put over it... Uugh! The fact that it's too
shiny also makes it highly susceptible to scratches!!

I've had this discussion with the "M-Studio", as mine was an "Individual" order, and they are aware, but no official
solution (bureaucratic testing protocols) was offered.

It would be great if they offered a matte C.F. instrument panel trim, as they do with the ("BMW Perf.") Alcantara -
Carbon Fiber (matte) center console piece. Or even the option of "Open Pore" wood trims a' la "Mercedes", would be nice!

Tinting the windshield causes glare (light diffusion - at night), can interfere with the HUD and is illegal in most states.

Cheers!

Matte CF was already in the E90 and I have open pore Eucalyptus in my i3 with good results!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #62
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Never noticed such an issue, having way too much fun driving the thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #63
xfactor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 6MT ZCP (AY)

It's a feature and adds to the "wow" factor. You just need to add a small disco ball/heart pendant to take it to the next level.

09-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #64
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Matte CF was already in the E90 and I have open pore Eucalyptus in my i3 with good results!
Hey,

Great!

Albeit, we're talking F8x here.

The only matte C.F. trim alternative/option available is the "BMW Performance" Alcantara/Carbon Fiber trim kit,
which offers only the center console piece in a full matte C.F.

The i3 open pore eucalyptus sounds interesting. I will check if there's an available application for our platform.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #65
moomeacow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

windshield tint does wonders got 70 percent front 30 rest of the car
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      09-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #66
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomeacow View Post
windshield tint does wonders got 70 percent front 30 rest of the car
Hey,

Again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
… Tinting the windshield causes glare (light diffusion - at night), can interfere with the HUD and is illegal in most states. ...

Cheers!

Appreciate 0