proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
armo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Error Message Today

So this popped up while driving today. Felt like it went into limp mode. No noises or any issue I could feel. Got home. Shut it down then restarted it, warning went away and drove fine. 60k miles all service to date. Ideas?

edit: took it out again. filled up tank, got on highway, full acceleration... noticeably down on power then error message came back.
Attached Images

Last edited by armo; 08-01-2020 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

I noticed that you have a Dinan Stage 1. I have a Stage 2 and the same thing happened to me. If you have access to the Dinan app, put it in bypass mode, clear the codes, and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then contact Dinan. For me, the warning would come on again after about 100 miles with the tune on.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

It may also be a good idea to check the fluid level for the charge cooler. Maximum power may not be available because the cooler could be low on fluid, which means the intake charge air is crazy hot.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
armo
Private
United_States
Rep

Just checked it and it was very low. topped it off. will take for a drive and report back. I shouldn't be losing coolant though correct? Going to drop it off at my shop just the same. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
It may also be a good idea to check the fluid level for the charge cooler. Maximum power may not be available because the cooler could be low on fluid, which means the intake charge air is crazy hot.
      08-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
armo
Private
United_States
Rep

so error came back. down on power still. noticed the charge cooler (top mount) was hot to the touch after i came back. is that normal??? very hot day today. check engine light is on now as well
      08-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Your charge cooler or charge cooler reservoir is leaking
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
m4nual2016
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Need to pull OBD codes. Probably a fault in there for charge air overtemp.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armo View Post
so error came back. down on power still. noticed the charge cooler (top mount) was hot to the touch after i came back. is that normal??? very hot day today. check engine light is on now as well
The charge cooler should be very close to ambient air temperatures if fluid is circulating correctly. Mine normally runs about 15C above the outside air temperature once the engine is warmed up. It should not be hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Your charge cooler or charge cooler reservoir is leaking
Yep, definitely leaking. It frequently leaks fluid into the intake runners (where it is then burned by the engine), so it may not be noticeable externally. If it leaks badly enough, there is a risk (albeit really low) that the engine could hydrolock.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
armo
Private
United_States
Rep

hey thanks for the feedback .. here's an update. Took it to my shop. they ran the codes. Def the coolant level for the charge cooler (not sure if there was work done on it before I bought the car recently). so we topped it off. Ran the car again, car ran fine. However, per their instructions, I let it cool off and checked again.

It was low. As I was topping it off the level kept dropping a bit. Had to actually wait and top it 3x. Took it for a drive again. Letting it cool off.. I'll check level again later. This time I noticed the charge cooler was not scorching hot, warm, but able to keep my hand on it.

So basically I'm going to keep it an eye on it next few drives. Obviously if it keeps getting low then my shop will look into it further. They've been nothing but helpful so far (reputable BMW shop in North Jersey.)

Will keep updating post.

Quote:
The charge cooler should be very close to ambient air temperatures if fluid is circulating correctly. Mine normally runs about 15C above the outside air temperature once the engine is warmed up. It should not be hot.

Yep, definitely leaking. It frequently leaks fluid into the intake runners (where it is then burned by the engine), so it may not be noticeable externally. If it leaks badly enough, there is a risk (albeit really low) that the engine could hydrolock.
      08-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
hey thanks for the feedback .. here's an update. Took it to my shop. they ran the codes. Def the coolant level for the charge cooler (not sure if there was work done on it before I bought the car recently). so we topped it off. Ran the car again, car ran fine. However, per their instructions, I let it cool off and checked again.

It was low. As I was topping it off the level kept dropping a bit. Had to actually wait and top it 3x. Took it for a drive again. Letting it cool off.. I'll check level again later. This time I noticed the charge cooler was not scorching hot, warm, but able to keep my hand on it.

So basically I'm going to keep it an eye on it next few drives. Obviously if it keeps getting low then my shop will look into it further. They've been nothing but helpful so far (reputable BMW shop in North Jersey.)

Will keep updating post.
If you're not finding evidence of the coolant leaking externally, it's a really bad idea to keep adding it to the charge cooler reservoir. Coolant fouls spark plugs and creates the aforementioned (small) risk of hydrolocking the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #11
armo
Private
United_States
Rep

curious as to why my shop hasnt mentioned this. will have to call them tomorrow

Quote:
If you're not finding evidence of the coolant leaking externally, it's a really bad idea to keep adding it to the charge cooler reservoir. Coolant fouls spark plugs and creates the aforementioned (small) risk of hydrolocking the engine.
      08-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Agreed as I recently replaced mine for the same reason.

Do not keep adding coolant and stay out of boost. When you replace the cooler make sure to change the oil before anything else.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
armo
Private
United_States
Rep

Just an update. Since last I posted I've driven it a few times just to keep monitoring levels. And the level has not dropped since. Been holding steady at max level. Haven't needed to top off at all. Will keep monitoring. Maybe air in the system? Don't know.

In the meantime I have an appt scheduled at my shop just the same.
      09-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #14
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Just an update. Since last I posted I've driven it a few times just to keep monitoring levels. And the level has not dropped since. Been holding steady at max level. Haven't needed to top off at all. Will keep monitoring. Maybe air in the system? Don't know.

In the meantime I have an appt scheduled at my shop just the same.
Any updates on this? My car is doing the same bs.

I for one only topped it off slightly as i don't want to keep risking my engine swallowing up coolant
Appreciate 0