EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-22-2024, 09:53 PM   #1
seezja
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

F80 M3 Misfires and Drivetrain Error

So I've owned my 2016 F80 M3 for 4 months now and have had no issues with it until about a month ago. Got "drivetrain malfunction: drive moderately. maximum drivetrain output is not available, consult nearest service center" and check engine light and car went into limp mode. Ran the codes and had 4 cylinders misfiring. Dealer said I had an intake air leak (dinan intakes were on it), so I took it to a private shop and they replaced the dinan intakes with stock ones. Just got it back and got the exact same problem once I hit around 100 mph. Ran the code again today and now only one cylinder is misfiring. Has anyone had a similar issue and, if so, what was the reason behind it for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 02:13 AM   #2
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Probably another leak with stock intakes as well. See if all the clamps are tightened. Also, it wouldn’t hurt in checking spark plugs as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:19 AM   #3
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

These cars do not take well to mods it seems. I read a lot of problems on forums. Yes bet it’s another leak.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:25 AM   #4
Cowsgomoo1284
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6mt

Garage List
2016 F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
These cars do not take well to mods it seems. I read a lot of problems on forums. Yes bet it’s another leak.
Not sure why I’ve been seeing posts like this lately. These cars are surprisingly reliable and take extremely well to mods. Only reason you see so many problems posted on here is because that’s the main reason to use this forum at this point.
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2024, 09:39 AM   #5
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Good point and I agree. I have a bone stock F series car and it’s been super reliable. Not against modifying at all. I just find myself reading a post title regarding an issue and think to myself it’s probably modified in some fashion and usally it is. Whether it be a tune or bolt ons. Not judging, just a casual observation.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:58 AM   #6
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I don't think it is a intake issue, but if it were you would have unmetered air going thru the car which could cause some of these issues. But I think that it's a bad ignition coils. I just went thru a similar issues with the E63 AMG. I got a CEL, the car was misfiring, loss of power, slow to accelerate, car was vibrating. So we swapped coils around and read the results from the Autel, by using this method we determined that it was the number 4 cylinder coil that was bad. Then we replaced it, with a new one and no more CEL or issues and this was less than two weeks ago.
      04-24-2024, 02:08 PM   #7
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
these cars love mods. just built it right. quite simple. people love doing bolt ons with no supporting mods and then wonder why the car won’t work properly. for example, lot of people just throw on bigger turbos but do nothing on the fueling side of things. people change ignition coils and spark plugs but don’t actually do research on using the high power spark plug (which is better) than what everyone uses 97506. it’s really not that hard
Appreciate 0