Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

EMD springs vs H&R sports differences?

Hey, so my car has the H&R sports installed and I'm happy with the ride quality and the handling aspects. I don't really care for the way it looks as much compared to the EMD springs.

How will the EMD compare in ride and stiffness while cornering? I definitely do not want the handling aspect to be less stiff or agile around turns. This is my biggest concern going from linear to progressive rate springs.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzy View Post
Hey, so my car has the H&R sports installed and I'm happy with the ride quality and the handling aspects. I don't really care for the way it looks as much compared to the EMD springs.

How will the EMD compare in ride and stiffness while cornering? I definitely do not want the handling aspect to be less stiff or agile around turns. This is my biggest concern going from linear to progressive rate springs.

Thanks.
following
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

I haven't had H&R suspension but I did go from stock to EMD springs on my F82 so at least I can provide that reference point.

I swapped to EMD springs entirely for aesthetic purposes and couldn't be happier in that regard. That being said, I didn't care if it impacted handling when I made the decision to get them.

I've got about 6k miles in a little over a year on them so they've definitely had time to break in. My overall impression of them compared to the stock springs is that they are definitely stiffer but make the car feel significantly more "planted" and you really do feel the lower center of gravity. I've never tracked my car but I frequently drive with quite spirited passion and have nothing but positive things to say about the impact on steering feel and performance. That being said, the ride is slightly rougher and sensitive people might notice the stiffness more readily (and negatively) than me.

Overall, I'd keep the springs on even if they yelled obscenities at me because they have the perfect drop and look so damn good.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

H&R you have 2 versions (aggressiveness) EMD 1. EMD is more drop F to R and the closest to stock ride they say, H&R more towards performance. One set not enough drop for many, the other track version tooo much in front and too much rake. I tried the EMD's and found them horrible and took them out a month later. I also have EDC. I lived the longest on the MS spring...they are perfect

I recommend going straight to the MS....good luck

I have a F82, it is different
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok thanks for the input guys.

In reality if the rear of my car on H&R sports was about and inch higher I wouldn't even consider changing them. I hate the reverse rake look of it, albeit subtle and not very noticeable.

I like the look of EMD and am not concerned with the ride height being lower.

I just want the car to remain as stable as it is now and don't know if the EMD will be.

What did you find horrible about the ride? I have EDC as well. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
Rus718
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS (F82)

I have MS springs on my M4 CS with adaptive M suspension and absolutely love it! When I’m driving/cruising alone I’ll have it on Sport+ and when my wife and daughter in the car I’ll have it on comfort mode!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: I feel dumb for never thinking/looking for the spacers that EMD uses for the rear springs.

I checked out their website and they offer the rear spacers to correct the reverse rake for $30.

I assume these will work with the H&R springs since all the springs must fit into the same upper mount area.

The only issue I wanted to correct with H&R was the reverse rake so hopefully this is the solution I've been searching for.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzy View Post
Ok thanks for the input guys.

In reality if the rear of my car on H&R sports was about and inch higher I wouldn't even consider changing them. I hate the reverse rake look of it, albeit subtle and not very noticeable.

I like the look of EMD and am not concerned with the ride height being lower.

I just want the car to remain as stable as it is now and don't know if the EMD will be.

What did you find horrible about the ride? I have EDC as well. Thanks.
The set I had was way too low in the front on my car...and it caused it to float (Porpoise). Probably put the ride height out of the damper range...it sucked ass. I didn't want to drive the car. As Russ718 said the ride height & ride of the MS springs was perfect as you can get. I went down the rabbit hole playing with different springs, then HAS kit then coil overs. Looking back I would leave the MS springs on
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I installed H&R Sports but only the front springs. Left the rear stock springs. Added 15mm spacers up front and 12mm spacers in the rear. I honestly think the stance is perfect and it rides just like stock as far as I can tell/feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #10
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Love my EMD, feels stock 90% of the time. Huge potholes can be jarring.
Completely deletes wheel gap.
Appreciate 0