GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

05-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Proper Headlight Lens Identification for Replacement

So I have been scratching my head on this one for a bit so I am hoping others with more experience can provide some insight….

The headlight lenses on my 2017 M3 require replacement, but I am having a difficult time properly identifying the replacement lenses. I have searched online (eBay, etc) and even started communication with a popular lens replacement vendor (BimmerJakes), but even that initial communication has not been as conclusive as I would have thought (and COVID supply issues is not helping anything). It appears a contributing factor may be that MY17 is a “stop gap” year between the early F8X cars and the latter cars until end of production for several components, including headlights.

The early cars (‘14-‘16) came with Xenon headlights. The later cars (‘18+) came with Adaptive LED “Icon” headlights (identified by the more hexagon shape halos). ‘17 cars like mine (including some 4-series IIRC) came with “different” Adaptive LED lights (identified by the round halo’s). My ‘17 M3 has a production date of Nov 16 and came with LED headlights by Automotive Lighting. The Xenons appear to be universally identified as “pre-LCI”. The ‘18+ Icon LEDs appear to be universally considered “LCI”. But depending on who you talk to, the LED headlights on my ‘17 M3 are pre-LCI, LCI, “almost-LCI”, etc. This makes shopping for replacements more challenging as most vendors identify replacements as “pre-LCI” or LCI. I would think my headlights are LCI with lenses the same as the ‘18+ cars, but it has been very difficult to confirm - and I only want to purchase lenses once.

See the link below as an example of the “confusion” I am referring to regarding shopping vendors for correct replacement lenses for MY17 F8x cars (I am still in early communication with this vendor):

https://www.bimmerjakes.com/en/297-h...2f33-2013-2018

So after providing that background, can anybody provide me with the proper identification of the LED headlights on MY17 (and I believe late MY16) F8x cars so that I can shop for and purchase the correct lens replacements?

Thanks!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 05-29-2021 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

It's straightforward.

F80 M3 Sedan received two LCIs because it, ultimately, comprises of a 3 Series in the back and a 4 Series in the front.

Regarding lighting:

05/15 - 3 Series facelift (rear lights)
03/17 - 4 Series facelift (front lights)

If your car is built between the two dates and you've got the LEDs, then you've got pre-LCI Adaptive LED headlights.

It is true the 4 Series had initially xenon and LEDs, after the LCI, they switched to non-adaptive LEDs and adaptive LEDs (the so-called ICON).
      05-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Thanks! Yup, those are the headlights I have and I would concur with a proper name of these headlights being “pre-LCI Adaptive LED” for a ‘17 M3. Explaining what headlights you have to a vendor is the hard part - especially trying to differentiate between M3 vs M4. So using the link from the vendor in my first post above (with two headlight options), which one do you think applies to a ‘17 M3 ??

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Thanks! Yup, those are the headlights I have and I would concur with a proper name of these headlights being “pre-LCI Adaptive LED” for a ‘17 M3. Explaining what headlights you have to a vendor is the hard part - especially trying to differentiate between M3 vs M4. So using the link from the vendor in my first post above (with two headlight options), which one do you think applies to a ‘17 M3 ??
Well, Jake is wack and tell him to sort his shit out!!! Haha

However, I think it does not matter which headlight covers you go for because the headlights themselves are all the same shape. So you could buy Jake's "LCI" covers. It's just the internals that are different. Unless the original lens covers are different for xenons and LEDs, but you're not buying OE parts anyway so aftermarket surely would wipe out any differences in them anyway.

Also, I'd ask them what companies produce their lens covers that they offer on their site... both "aftermarket" and "Genuine OEM."

And it's either Genuine/OE BMW (what you buy at the dealer) or OEM (same supplier but sold by the supplier only without the BMW logo).

I've checked all European spare parts sites. None of the reputable OEMs (Hella, Valeo) sell lens covers online. Automotive Lighting, OE supplier of pre-LCI LEDs as you know, and 50% owned by Magnetti Marelli, do not sell spare lens covers either; you can only buy whole LED headlights from Marelli in OEM quality (link)

Jake either got a plug at the AL factory in Europe, he's ripping out lenses out of brand new BMW lights or he's just selling Chinese crap like any other eBay vendor. I'd be hecka vary of the quality. Why is there only a 50-dollar difference between their "aftermarket" and "OEM" offerings?

What's wrong with your lights anyway?
      05-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
My initial communication with BimmerJakes indicated that there actually are differences between the lenses in the different manufacturer’s headlights installed in different model years (pre-LCI vs LCI, etc). But properly identifying them to support shopping around was still not clear to me. Hence my hesitation/confusion as I continued my search from other vendors as well (mostly eBay). BimmerJakes stated that my headlights, made by Automotive Lighting, have lenses that are different than the LCI headlights (made by Hella or Valeo IIRC).

Why the search for a replacement lens? One of my lenses got scratched pretty bad and beyond repair, but the headlight is fully functional so I don’t want to spend the big $$ to replace it….

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
My initial communication with BimmerJakes indicated that there actually are differences between the lenses in the different manufacturer’s headlights installed in different model years (pre-LCI vs LCI, etc). But properly identifying them to support shopping around was still not clear to me. Hence my hesitation/confusion as I continued my search from other vendors as well (mostly eBay). BimmerJakes stated that my headlights, made by Automotive Lighting, have lenses that are different than the LCI headlights (made by Hella or Valeo IIRC).

Why the search for a replacement lens? One of my lenses got scratched pretty bad and beyond repair, but the headlight is fully functional so I don’t want to spend the big $$ to replace it….
I've found these photos. They're right that they are actually different if you look at the tabs protruding from the lenses above and under the headlight. Given they're manufactured by a different company, it makes sense now.

I've just noticed the +420 dial on BimmerJakes website. That's Czech Republic. The AL headlamps are made in Czech Republic, well, at least I think mine are, so maybe he's got some contacts with the factory over there.

The OEM Marelli units seem to be 400-500 Euro cheaper than OE BMW lights. Unless there is a difference between ECE and NA lights, which I don't think there is apart from the part number, you could save some cash should you decide to buy new headlights. There are also lots of used ones on eBay in Europe - they're mostly from stolen or damaged cars, though.