Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #1123
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Are you sure they were installed correctly?

We already have at least one example of a dealership botching the install.
As far as I can tell but I'm no expert. I don't have the same problem with the rears as the other member you speak of. It feels like I've got 2-3 mm of travel then bang off the bump stop. Mostly in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #1124
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Mu View Post
As far as I can tell but I'm no expert. I don't have the same problem with the rears as the other member you speak of. It feels like I've got 2-3 mm of travel then bang off the bump stop. Mostly in the rear.
That's my AY. Did you update software? That made all the difference like 75% improved at speeds under 40-50 mph.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #1125
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
That's my AY. Did you update software? That made all the difference like 75% improved at speeds under 40-50 mph.
I did update the software. I actually had the kit installed first and drove it for a few days before they updated the software. I couldn't tell any difference before or after the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #1126
Race82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
Are people having their cars aligned to factory specs?

Had my car aligned this morning and found that I could not get to the -2.0 rear camber I wanted due to maxing out the rear toe adjustment. Looking at the fall line Motorsports rear toe link now.

Here are my specs, aligned with me in the car and no other added weight:

Front Camber -1.5 deg
Front Toe 0.17 deg

Rear Camber -1.9 deg
Rear Toe 0.17 deg
Yes, similar issue after installing the M Perf HAS. The toe on back right was way out when adjusting the camber with stock camber bolts, could get -2.2 approx on each side but not without throwing off toe massively.

I've since installed the FallLine Toe Link and Camber Shims and the car reads perfectly straight on specs (have spent last 3 days with pro alignment team) yet pulls massively to the left when driving.

Took the Camber Shim Kit off and left the Toe Kit on, have returned to factory specs and will road test tomorrow... next stop is to remove Toe Kit, if not straight.

Following that, might get need a BMW software update and steering alignment...

Never had an issue before until FallLine installed after the M HAS....

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #1127
Race82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbmw View Post
Yes, similar issue after installing the M Perf HAS. The toe on back right was way out when adjusting the camber with stock camber bolts, could get -2.2 approx on each side but not without throwing off toe massively.

I've since installed the FallLine Toe Link and Camber Shims and the car reads perfectly straight on specs (have spent last 3 days with pro alignment team) yet pulls massively to the left when driving.

Took the Camber Shim Kit off and left the Toe Kit on, have returned to factory specs and will road test tomorrow... next stop is to remove Toe Kit, if not straight.

Following that, might get need a BMW software update and steering alignment...

Never had an issue before until FallLine installed after the M HAS....

Should have mentioned, max I could get on OEM Camber bolts with a straight toe on rear was -1.75, with the FallLine Kit we got -2.5, however it is pulling left as mentioned above... have also tried swapping wheels around, and tyres and rim sizes 19" to 20" so not a tyre issue... can't work out if it's an EDC/DSC issue or if the car just does not like -2.5 camber on rear
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #1128
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by awbmw View Post
Should have mentioned, max I could get on OEM Camber bolts with a straight toe on rear was -1.75, with the FallLine Kit we got -2.5, however it is pulling left as mentioned above... have also tried swapping wheels around, and tyres and rim sizes 19" to 20" so not a tyre issue... can't work out if it's an EDC/DSC issue or if the car just does not like -2.5 camber on rear
You don't need that much camber in the rear. I find 1.6~1.8 works best for even temperature distribution across the tread when tracking. Street only use probably needs even less rear camber.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #1129
Allure
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY17 M3

Quote:
I picked mine up last week and have the exact same measurements. 3.5 inches from the top of the wheel to the fender front and back. My ride quality is significantly worse than before. Do you notice the same thing? Many have reported that it feels "slightly" stiffer but to me it feels extremely stiff. Comfort mode now feels about equal to Sport Plus before. Anyone else?
This has been the only thing holding me back. Anyone else find it as stiff as sports plus was before the install?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #1130
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
Quote:
I picked mine up last week and have the exact same measurements. 3.5 inches from the top of the wheel to the fender front and back. My ride quality is significantly worse than before. Do you notice the same thing? Many have reported that it feels "slightly" stiffer but to me it feels extremely stiff. Comfort mode now feels about equal to Sport Plus before. Anyone else?
This has been the only thing holding me back. Anyone else find it as stiff as sports plus was before the install?
Everyone knows the car wasn't great on launch all the reviews reflected that especially the handling and suspension then they addressed some of it on the ZCP and now even further on the HAS for me it's night and day since I put the HAS on...totally love it... I think the M engineers working in BMW have pride and probably pushed to keep improving the original suspension and offering they gave in the first place... remember they're very competitive with other companies like Audi and Mercedes and it's a kind of bravado on who can produce the best car in the sector...can't wait for the replacement for the F82
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #1131
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Got mine back on Saturday with the M performance suspension installed. I instructed them to lower it 20mm front and 10mm rear. Front looks pretty spot on to me, but looks to me that the rear is dropped more than the 10mm I instructed. When I get a chance I plan to raise the rear around 5mm compared to now.

I have logged a few hundred miles since getting the car back. My car is a ZCP; I would say the ride is stiffer but perhaps by only around 10%. Overall it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade as the car looks much better in the front without that huge fender gap and the ride is very similar to the stock ZCP setup.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #1132
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
My ride quality is significantly worse than before. Do you notice the same thing? Many have reported that it feels "slightly" stiffer but to me it feels extremely stiff. Comfort mode now feels about equal to Sport Plus before. Anyone else?
I haven't had time to complete my full write up post install, but I will say that my F80 is in the slightly stiffer category when in default sport mode. I noticed it, and I love it. Ultimate test was the wifey... she has yet to complain and we live in Michigan with literally the worst roads in the lower 48.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Got mine back on Saturday with the M performance suspension installed. I instructed them to lower it 20mm front and 10mm rear. Front looks pretty spot on to me, but looks to me that the rear is dropped more than the 10mm I instructed. When I get a chance I plan to raise the rear around 5mm compared to now.
It's funny because I had said 20mm and 12mm and my rear end looks a lot more than 12mm IMO. I think that the rear fenders play visual tricks, but I'm still going to raise and re-align when the summers go on next month. I don't have my 12mm spacers installed yet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
I have logged a few hundred miles since getting the car back. My car is a ZCP; I would say the ride is stiffer but perhaps by only around 10%. Overall it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade as the car looks much better in the front without that huge fender gap and the ride is very similar to the stock ZCP setup.
I'm non-ZCP and agree with your entire assessment 100%.
      03-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #1133
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
MP Suspension is definitely much stiffer than non-zcp factory suspension. You will definitely notice this at first but as I have added more miles, I like it. I think most of the people who think it is only slightly stiffer had the ZCP to start so the change may not be as noticeable.

I am running the ZCP EDC software and comfort is now my everyday setting. I have considered going back to the non ZCP EDC software to see if I like this better.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #1134
Keeshdotcom
F80 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 6MT

Where can i buy these??
      03-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #1135
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

This may be apples to oranges -- not sure what the spring rates are for MP springs-- but Of they are similar to Swifts then i would be hard pressed to find the setup's firmness close to stock at all. Maybe on the smoothest of roads. Here in Hawaii, roads are absolute crap and with swift springs at least, I would say Sport + is now Sport ++ sport is sport + and comfort is in between sport + and sport. I never noticed a huge difference in comfort stock anyway so. Only that it was way more boucy and floaty than sport. Overall and with swifts at least, the ride is at least twice as firm as before. Ride is amazing though -- just have to be super cautious about potholes and uneven roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #1136
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee808 View Post
This may be apples to oranges -- not sure what the spring rates are for MP springs-- but Of they are similar to Swifts then i would be hard pressed to find the setup's firmness close to stock at all. Maybe on the smoothest of roads. Here in Hawaii, roads are absolute crap and with swift springs at least, I would say Sport + is now Sport ++ sport is sport + and comfort is in between sport + and sport. I never noticed a huge difference in comfort stock anyway so. Only that it was way more boucy and floaty than sport. Overall and with swifts at least, the ride is at least twice as firm as before. Ride is amazing though -- just have to be super cautious about potholes and uneven roads.
Here's some perspective from a guy who's owned both the Swifts & currently running MP coilovers. If I had to put a numerical value to it, compared to my stock ZCP suspension.

Swift Spec R's were about 50-60% firmer vs stock

M Performance is about 10-15% firmer vs stock
      03-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #1137
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I have had the MP suspension for about a week and 1000 miles on it, including a long-distance trip. In comfort mode, the difference between stock vs MP is negligible, I would say 10-15% firmer as stated previously. It is the way the car should have come out of the factory.

I do like to point out that I have the 265/35 and 295/35 tire setup on stock rims, not sure if that's also contributing to the rather comfortable ride even with MP.

If you are on the fence and dont know whether or not you want to take the plunge, just do it especially if you have EDC, you will not regret it.
Appreciate 1
Dinh335713.00
      03-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #1138
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
If you are on the fence and dont know whether or not you want to take the plunge, just do it especially if you have EDC, you will not regret it.
THIS ^^^
      03-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #1139
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

I have about 2K miles now, and still love the ride... personally I would disagree with the notion that "comfort" is now "sport plus". The EDC controls still operate with the same variation as it did stock, in that comfort still provides a noticeably more comfortable ride and sport plus is tight, and overall the ride has only gotten maybe 10 percent stiffer.

All that being said...I also think there are a lot of variables; particularly as in how low people are, wheel size, tires, etc that will provide different parameters of an already subjective thing such as stiffness...
      03-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #1140
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
I have about 2K miles now, and still love the ride... personally I would disagree with the notion that "comfort" is now "sport plus". The EDC controls still operate with the same variation as it did stock, in that comfort still provides a noticeably more comfortable ride and sport plus is tight, and overall the ride has only gotten maybe 10 percent stiffer.

All that being said...I also think there are a lot of variables; particularly as in how low people are, wheel size, tires, etc that will provide different parameters of an already subjective thing such as stiffness...
I think the height may be my problem. The dealer set it as low as it would go which is too low for my taste. I'm gonna raise it up a bit this weekend and see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #1141
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

On a separate note, the software update wiped out all the custom coding I had done on the car :-(

The old version of the coding software which was on the laptop of the buddy who helped the first time around (thanks larryn!) is not working with the software update. He got the latest coding software but there still seems to be communication issues between the car and the coding software.

We need to work on that. In the meantime, I have to hit than damn "Confirm" on iDrive everytime I start the car. I had forgotten it existed...

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #1142
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Anyone know where I can get the software updated? Local dealer doesnt seem to know what I'm talking about(yeah right). They may think I want it for free. Free is nice but willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #1143
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
I think the height may be my problem. The dealer set it as low as it would go which is too low for my taste. I'm gonna raise it up a bit this weekend and see if that makes a difference.
I highly recommend 20mm in the front and 5-8mm in the back.

Last edited by silverstar335; 03-08-2017 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #1144
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
I highly recommemd 20mm in front and 5-8mm in the back.
Thanks. I'm at -23 front and -20 rear.
BTW, is it as easy as threading it up with spanner? Will I ruin the alignment?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0