GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Question Is Contrasting Silver Stitching Not Standard?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
In the configurator of newly introduced M4 Show Room, the contrasting silver stitching is no longer seen in the black leather interior (see pitcure below).

Further, the following text can be found in the "Individual" subsection of the "Design" section.

Quote:
Colourful accents you can see and feel. The contrasting stitching from BMW Individual is the highest expression of elegance, impressively accentuating the full fine-grain Merino leather in Black. There are four colours to choose from: Sakhir Orange, Silverstone, Yellow or Blue. (Expected to be available from 2015.)
Yet, all show cars and all press release pictures always portrayed contrasting silver stitching in the black interiors (or on the black leather portion of other color interiors).

For me, the silver contrasting stitching was a strong player in me picking the black interior over the Silverstone interior. I certainly hope that it will come that way.

Hopefully someone can clarify this and that this point in M3/M4 showroom is only a fluke

UPDATE:

Just received confirmation from BMW Canada through my dealer. The contrasting silver stitching will be part of the "Individual" offering starting with July production. Further, it will only be offered along with the FULL Merino leather option and not with the extended option . They should receive pricing for the "Individual" stitching in the next few weeks.

That sucks. I feel that it is very close at being false representation on the part of BMW. The price tag/description beside the M4 at the car show did not mention this. Anyhow, it was most likely in the fine print .

So that seals the deal for me. Going with Silverstone interior instead. I am not willing to shed $2500 for full leather + $X for the stitching.

UPDATE #2:

To make things more confusing, I just received this e-mail from BMW Canada:
Quote:
White contrast stitching on the Black Merino seat (both Extended and Full).
No contrast stitching on the other colours unless you get “Full Merino” in which case there is only contrast stitching on the lower dashboard and side door handle, not the actual seat.

UPDATE #3:

It finally seems that black extended and full leather interior do indeed come with GREY contrasting stitching standard. I wonder what is the point of the Silverstone Individual one then? More contrast? Shinier? ?
Attached Images
  

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
137
Rep
4,295
Posts

Drives: 991 GT3 RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Living at (almost...) 9k

iTrader: (5)

I have to say I was surprised that they had contrast stitching on the show cars, since like you I would have assumed those would not have been optioned with individual or added cost options unless shown on the chart that was next to each show car.
__________________
GT3 RS | Desperately seeking the next great M car...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
892
Rep
2,714
Posts

Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

For me, the silver contrasting stitching was a strong player in me picking the black interior over the Silverstone interior. I certainly hope that it will come that way.
Me too!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
parky1215's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
1,765
Posts

Drives: Lucy, F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (13)

Looks like black leather will have black stitching.
Even BMW UK configurator is not showing contrast stitching with black leather.
It used to show white/silverstone stitching before.

This is very disappointing. I will now have to choose different interior choice.

Last edited by parky1215; 03-12-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Croatian test driver
Captain
Croatian test driver's Avatar
Croatia
417
Rep
997
Posts

Drives: M3 F80 (TB / CB)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

This definitely would be very disappointing. I actually like Silverstone most of all interior colors, but since it's hard to keep it clean, I'd maybe go with black and the contrast stiching was the big bonus of it. In the swiss configurator there's still the contrast stiching, but maybe they'll remove it as well (as appartently in UK).
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Swancoat
Lieutenant
124
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
This definitely would be very disappointing. I actually like Silverstone most of all interior colors, but since it's hard to keep it clean, I'd maybe go with black and the contrast stiching was the big bonus of it. In the swiss configurator there's still the contrast stiching, but maybe they'll remove it as well (as appartently in UK).
I always assumed that was the different texture of the black thread showing up differently under the lighting.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
/// M sa
Major
/// M sa's Avatar
223
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: F80 MG
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delmarva

iTrader: (0)

That really effing blows if true, I changed from SS to black just for that reason. I mean wtf how hard is it to change the fabric color and not charge so much. F you BMW... Ok where do I sign up lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
82
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW M4
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I received a copy of an email that was forwarded to me by my sales rep from the program manager at BMW Canada and he confirmed that it is black stitching
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
85
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Talk about first world problems...
You guys have some!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1729
Rep
13,651
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

We just can't win. If some different colored thread is going to cost thousands, you might as well just opt for a fully Individual interior. Charging that much for a thread color change is downright ridiculous.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I always assumed that was the different texture of the black thread showing up differently under the lighting.
I saw the cars in real life at the Montreal car show, the stitching was silver. No doubt about it.

In the pictures below from the press release, it is also clearly not black. The stitching of the full leather on the passenger dash and the upper portion of the doors is black. The rest of the stitching is silver/grey.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-12-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
In the Belgian configurator, the contrasting stitching seems to be gone from the black interior. However, it still seems to be present on the black sections of the silverstone interior (see pics below). If that is the case, I will be changing my order to silverstone. I hope BMW will not change this on us too .
Attached Images
  

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-12-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
743
Rep
3,236
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Contrast stitching looks great and costs BMW zero in added costs if they make it standard. I'm not sure why they didn't go this route with the black interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Contrast stitching looks great and costs BMW zero in added costs if they make it standard. I'm not sure why they didn't go this route with the black interior.
Probably because the marketing folks figured they could make more money by charging extra for it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
F82_SID
Brigadier General
F82_SID's Avatar
138
Rep
3,157
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

iTrader: (2)

I hate all black interiors but since I want AY, I was going to allow myself to be ok with a black interior because of the contrast sticking. I seen the contrast stitching in Detroit and it looked really good. If this is true, then I might just have to drop the 2k on ind stitching. I dislike all black interiors that much! Question though... I wonder what that first AY/BLK M4 that rolled off the production line had? That should have been the full production version of the car.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
743
Rep
3,236
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Probably because the marketing folks figured they could make more money by charging extra for it
I've got an all black interior on my E92 M3 and it's so completely boring looking. Never again.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I hate all black interiors but since I want AY, I was going to allow myself to be ok with a black interior because of the contrast sticking. I seen the contrast stitching in Detroit and it looked really good. If this is true, then I might just have to drop the 2k on ind stitching. I dislike all black interiors that much! Question though... I wonder what that first AY/BLK M4 that rolled off the production line had? That should have been the full production version of the car.
According to the text in the "virtual show room", contrasting stitching will be available in yellow. IMO, this will look awesome in a AY car. The downside is that it won't be available until 2015...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I've got an all black interior on my E92 M3 and it's so completely boring looking. Never again.
I also have the all black interior in my E92, but with the silver blade trim. There was sufficient silver accents on the dash, doors and rear quarters to keep it interesting and lively.

This is not the case in the F8X where the trim is limited to a small portion of the dash and centre console. The trim does not extend to the doors or rear quarters. The contrasting stitching is a must to avoid the black interior to be too boring IMO, especially in the rear.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-12-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
743
Rep
3,236
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I also have the all black interior in my E92, but with the silver blade trim. There was sufficient silver accents on the dash, doors and rear quarters to keep it interesting and lively.

This is not the case in the F8X where the trim is limited to a small portion of the dash and centre console. The trim does not extend to the doors or rear quarters.
I got the brushed aluminum as well but I still find it boring. I agree with you completely about the effect on the F8x.

I would have at lease made silver stitching standard and other colors more money.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #20
Denk
Brigadier General
Denk's Avatar
United_States
760
Rep
3,137
Posts

Drives: X5 40i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

I suspect that an Edition/Competition model will have some nice little extra details.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
messm6
Second Lieutenant
16
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: F13 M6
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
According to the text in the "virtual show room", contrasting stitching will be available in yellow. IMO, this will look awesome in a AY car. The downside is that it won't be available until 2015...
It clearly sates it will be available in July 2014.. Matte exterior colors available in 2015.. At least that's what it said last night when I read the text..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #22
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9187
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by messm3 View Post
It clearly sates it will be available in July 2014.. Matte exterior colors available in 2015.. At least that's what it said last night when I read the text..
Screenshot from the site:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST