Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Calling all Alignment Experts!

hey folks,
I have a 2015 m3, lowered on H&R sport springs and on the factory EDC shocks. car is driving great and straight as an arrow, but noticed the inner shoulders of the front two tires are wearing faster than the rest of the tire. I took it by a local tuning shop to check and fix the alignment, they put the car on the machine and told me car was aligned well and they really wouldn't be able to do any better. they mentioned the wear is due to the camber on the front 2 tires, and they cant fix it unless I get camber plates.

after speaking with some folks, I've been told camber plates wont fix my issue and what needs to be corrected is the toe. I'm trying to figure out what I really need to do here and wanted to learn from some of you experts how you'd look at this and what you would recommend.

thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep

here's a pic of the car...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Assuming your not interested in performance driving, get the camber plates and reduce camber and caster.

Your front tires will begin wearing more evenly at the expense of a less ideal contact patch during aggressive cornering.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Watching patiently as I have similar wear however with slightly less camber, I was going to ask for a couple of mm toe in with my next alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

-2deg and that toe is pretty normal, not extreme at all. What does the tire look like? Can you post a picture?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:23 AM   #6
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

Toe is fine. With the amount of front camber you have, it would be considered normal to have your inner tire and wear a bit faster than the rest of your tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Yeah, agreed that your front camber/toe combo is pretty tame all things considered. What is the factory camber setting for these cars (non-lowered)?

I would, however, have them fix your front left toe - you want it to match your right front toe, which looks good to me.

You *could* approach zero front toe which would reduce tire wear but I'm generally not a fan of how the car feels that way (too much tram-lining, too light on-center) BUT that's with older hydro setups... not sure about the EPS.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

People take the statement that "toe causes inside shoulder wear" entirely too literally.

Camber dictates that the inside shoulder sees more scrub. Toe causes the scrub. Camber = where the tire wears. Toe = the rate at which the wear occurs.

This is talking about straight line driving. In a straight line, camber will cause inside shoulder wear. Period. We only dial in 2* of camber to offset camber loss IN ROLL (dynamic load of cornering). If all you do is drive in straight lines then what you're describing is completely normal. No, hitting a few round-about every once in a while does not count lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
People take the statement that "toe causes inside shoulder wear" entirely too literally.

Camber dictates that the inside shoulder sees more scrub. Toe causes the scrub. Camber = where the tire wears. Toe = the rate at which the wear occurs.

This is talking about straight line driving. In a straight line, camber will cause inside shoulder wear. Period. We only dial in 2* of camber to offset camber loss IN ROLL (dynamic load of cornering). If all you do is drive in straight lines then what you're describing is completely normal. No, hitting a few round-about every once in a while does not count lol
So if you're running decent pressures i.e. not under inflated and you also have a the outside wearing from cornering however you inside scrub is far excessive in comparison, would you look at adjusting toe?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post

If you do not track the vehicle nor regularly do any high speed cornering would you recommend running less negative camber closer to zero?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
If you do not track the vehicle nor regularly do any high speed cornering would you recommend running less negative camber closer to zero?
The answer would be relative to what your current alignment is set at. I think closer to 1.5* camber and .05* toe should produce slightly better wear while still making for a decently handling street car. You could drop to .5* camber if all you do is drive to work and highway cruise lol. You don't really benefit from camber driving in straight lines.

Generally, we dial in a bit of static toe-in to keep the car stable when braking. Toe-out when braking can aid turn-in but it can also cause the car to wander and be hard to manage on the street.

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-15-2019 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep

great info folks, I am enjoying learning more about this, so keep it going! here's a pic of my front tire, nothing extreme, but you can see inner shoulder is wearing quicker than the rest...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #13
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Imo, camber closer to -1 would be more ideal. BMW calls for a specific amount of weight in the vehicle when performing a wheel alignment. I normally adjust camber within spec, but more closer to the positive side of the acceptable range. Toe is fine like I mentioned earlier. What you want to pay attention to most is the total toe, rather than individual toe. Your toe is -0.03 left side and +0.04 right side because the tech probably had the steering wheel slightly turned left when printing your spec sheet. If he printed your sheet with the steering angle at 0, your left side would read 0.00 and right side would read 0.01 or vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
great info folks, I am enjoying learning more about this, so keep it going! here's a pic of my front tire, nothing extreme, but you can see inner shoulder is wearing quicker than the rest...
I don't see any uneven wear.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post

Congrats!
+1. Alignment is about perfect for spirited driving and the wear looks fine. IMO, no need to change anything.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post

Congrats!
+1 stop being paranoid. That's pretty even wear for -2.0. I ran -2.75 front and my wear wasn't that bad. You'll get much better turn in with -2 vs stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #17
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Nice to see lowering springs alone give pretty decent cambers without camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #18
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Zero the front toe as it's toe out on LHS and toe in on RHS according to the alignment sheet you posted !

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Zero the front toe as it's toe out on LHS and toe in on RHS according to the alignment sheet you posted !
That's because the steering wheel was not straight on the alignment rack. Total toe is near zero.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #20
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Quote:
That's because the steering wheel was not straight on the alignment rack. Total toe is near zero.
TBH - go to another alignment shop as checking alignment when the SW is off is nonsensical as is being told excessive camber is causing yr wear, more so than correcting toe settings

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:08 AM   #21
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TBH - go to another alignment shop as checking alignment when the SW is off is nonsensical as is being told excessive camber is causing yr wear, more so than correcting toe settings
Really? All the tech did was print out the spec sheet with the steering wheel very slightly turned left. You pay attention to total toe, not individual for the front. Only time individual toe matters more is in the rear because of the thrust angle.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I chorded out a pair of Michelan SS front tires, that had allot of meat on them left. The alignment shop found the toe out was set at .7 degrees.
I wonder if the previous owner did this on purpose? Anyway, I think the Toe will cause allot more wear problems than some camber.
Appreciate 0