Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

02-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
R3LMV
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Moving from UK to Sydney

Hello!

I've accepted a job offer and I'll be moving from the UK to Sydney at the end of April

I currently have an M4 in the UK which I'm not sure whether to sell here or ship across?!

Either way it would be nice to meet some enthusiasts and hopefully make some friends, as I know no one there lol

I've noticed BMW's are few and far between so am open to suggestions on new cars out there!

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy Sydney, at least the great weather. Some great driving roads around also.

Used M4s sell here from ~ $70k AUS to up to $160k for a new one so really depends on how much you like and want to keep your M4 and what it owes you. Imports sell for a little less in Aus and I'd imagine import costs would be around $10k. I think you need to prove UK ownership for a min of 12 months so check the rules carefully.

You can check our local prices on

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/bmw...srcx=makemodel
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
R3LMV
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy Sydney, at least the great weather. Some great driving roads around also.

Used M4s sell here from ~ $70k AUS to up to $160k for a new one so really depends on how much you like and want to keep your M4 and what it owes you. Imports sell for a little less in Aus and I'd imagine import costs would be around $10k. I think you need to prove UK ownership for a min of 12 months so check the rules carefully.

You can check our local prices on

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/bmw...srcx=makemodel
Oh wow I won't be taking mine over then I haven't owned it long annoyingly!

Any recommendations on areas for working in the CBD but still close to the beach without paying crazy rent?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3LMV View Post
Any recommendations on areas for working in the CBD but still close to the beach without paying crazy rent?
You're funny! Oh wait, you were serious. Rent in Sydney is crazy, no matter where you go. However, if you're moving from London, you might find it familiar.
      02-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
skillick
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hi Ryan,

We just moved from UK to QLD at the end of April last year.

I looked into the possibility of bringing my X4 with me (as I'd had it since new and it was basically fully loaded).

I was in touch with Kristian Appelt from Iron Lady Imports (www.ironladyimports.com). He was really helpful and provided a lot of information/advice to help me decide.

In the end I decided not to ship it as even for our X4, it was going to cost around AU$14,000 / £7,500 to ship/import etc and so by the time I'd cleared the remaining finance and paid the shipping, it would not have been worth it (as I'd still need to sort out changing dials to KM etc).
The fees are calculated based on vehicle value and how many KM it has on it etc, so I'd guess for an M4 those fees will be higher than for our X4.

We ended up selling in the UK and instead we've bought an F80 M3 here!

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions about the move, happy to help as we have just been through it all (with a 9 month old in tow!!)

Stuart
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3LMV View Post
Yeah, anything East of the CBD (closer to Bondi Beach) is going to be expensive.

For something close to the CBD with still reasonable beach access I'd be looking at an apartment around the Alexandria / Zetland area.

If you want something a bit more chic you should check around Surry Hills, Darlinghurst or Paddington. Just try to avoid the suburb of Redfern.

Our local rental sites are either www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au

Let us know what you find.
Appreciate 0