Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #67
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

the m buttons a diff color is a cool idea. Maybe i should make mine blue
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #68
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 F82 M4 Competition

I did have blue and swapped today to red. It did look good blue but fancied red lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #69
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

any luck with that wiper stalk?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #70
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptz View Post
I bought the wiper stalks from ebay today - I couldn't find my old set I thought I had kicking about in the garage. When they arrive, I'll see if I can get it open
F82 M4 CP Retrofitted: HUD + CS Dash, Fully adaptive/HBA LED headlights, shadowline LCI taillights, KAFAS2 / pedestrian detection / Speed Limit Info / Front Collision Avoidance, Fullscreen CarPlay / ID6, latest iStep. Mods: Carbon diffuser. Carbon side skirts. Bootmod3 Stage 2. BMS intakes. Decat downpipes. AA midpipe. Custom exhaust with akrapovic tips.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #71
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It arrived today. No way to get inside in my opinion without destroying it

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #72
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i see some snaps/brackets but honestly i am probably happier if you say it cant be done and i dont have to go back and take the wheel all apart =)

did you break something to get it open or what was the deal?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #73
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I see possible evidence of ultrasonic welding around the outside of the stalk which means you’d have to mechanically separate the two halves and then glue them back together.

The energy director appears to have been destroyed in a fashion that would not be conducive to an easy repair, sadly.

Maybe a fine needle tip and some crazy glue would work.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #74
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

It does clip together but I think it’s also been ultrasonic welded yep. Everything is incredibly delicate inside - just trying time prise it apart was causing damage inside I couldn’t see until it was open. It was super hard to split apart - I ended up using a pry bar (I’m not kidding - it was actually better because the tip was wider).
Starting the process of getting it apart was super hard as the foil traces are very very delicate - one just ripped just as I was moving the arm around before I was really even going for it.
Perhaps if I had another few to practice on I’d find a way to get it apart with less damage.
But for now, for sure, I’m not doing it on mine!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #75
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

im good, ill leave 1 led in the car green and call it a throwback.

also dont drive when it rains
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #76
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Best way would be to get an X-acto blade and make several cuts along the halves until you can cut thru.

I think using a heated blade would ruin the casing
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #77
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
im good, ill leave 1 led in the car green and call it a throwback.

also dont drive when it rains
Amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #78
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Best way would be to get an X-acto blade and make several cuts along the halves until you can cut thru.

I think using a heated blade would ruin the casing
You go first and let us know how you got on. I’ve already scrapped one set of stalks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #79
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggers View Post
You go first and let us know how you got on. I’ve already scrapped one set of stalks
No way. I drive in the rain so I need mine lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:01 AM   #80
j05hp
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D

Hi,
Sorry to reply to this post again but I have just started this process. It hasn’t been covered anywhere but has anyone figured out how to get the instrument cluster lcd and the aircon temp reading to always stay in day mode (white) instead of the night mode (orange) so that it will match the new LEDS?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 05:29 AM   #81
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05hp View Post
Hi,
Sorry to reply to this post again but I have just started this process. It hasn’t been covered anywhere but has anyone figured out how to get the instrument cluster lcd and the aircon temp reading to always stay in day mode (white) instead of the night mode (orange) so that it will match the new LEDS?
What do you mean i's not been covered anywhere? Unless I misunderstand you, that's exactly what's been done by me and cryptz here?
F82 M4 CP Retrofitted: HUD + CS Dash, Fully adaptive/HBA LED headlights, shadowline LCI taillights, KAFAS2 / pedestrian detection / Speed Limit Info / Front Collision Avoidance, Fullscreen CarPlay / ID6, latest iStep. Mods: Carbon diffuser. Carbon side skirts. Bootmod3 Stage 2. BMS intakes. Decat downpipes. AA midpipe. Custom exhaust with akrapovic tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:21 AM   #82
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,
I have a MY2015. So when I started the process i swapped it to the lci hvac controls just for kicks. I forgot what all was different but maybe the screen is crisper, I kinda forget what motivated me to do that step.That being said it still had orange lights in it. Rather than forcing day/night mode i just replaced all the orange with white leds. There is a clear lcd screen on top of the orange/white leds for back lighting. The hvac one just comes right off/apart without any fuss. The lcd screen in the rear view mirror has 16+ solder legs and i used quick alloy (low melt solder) to remove that.

That is essentially the process for any digital readout. They tend to just be simply clear screens that are backlit with a specific color. For whatever reason the colors in the instrument color didnt bother me so i never messed with that. Its going to be the same process though regardless.

What car do you have? I dont believe there is any orange digital readout on my cluster.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 10:36 AM   #83
j05hp
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D

Quote:
I have a MY2015. So when I started the process i swapped it to the lci hvac controls just for kicks. I forgot what all was different but maybe the screen is crisper, I kinda forget what motivated me to do that step.That being said it still had orange lights in it. Rather than forcing day/night mode i just replaced all the orange with white leds. There is a clear lcd screen on top of the orange/white leds for back lighting. The hvac one just comes right off/apart without any fuss. The lcd screen in the rear view mirror has 16+ solder legs and i used quick alloy (low melt solder) to remove that.

That is essentially the process for any digital readout. They tend to just be simply clear screens that are backlit with a specific color. For whatever reason the colors in the instrument color didnt bother me so i never messed with that. Its going to be the same process though regardless.

What car do you have? I dont believe there is any orange digital readout on my cluster.
Thanks for the reply. Just to give you a better idea these are the parts I’m talking about these parts which have been taken from earlier in this post:

View post on imgur.com

I have an f32 so it’s possible that they are different. I think I’m happy with the temperature reading now you have clarified.
I’m still confused as to how the instrument cluster is white in this picture when it’s clearly dark outside. In my F32 it will be white on the temp reading and the instrument cluster at daytime. When the sun is setting the headlights will come on but these will remain white. Then when it’s dark they will turn to orange.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:03 AM   #84
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Just to give you a better idea these are the parts I’m talking about these parts which have been taken from earlier in this post:

View post on imgur.com

I have an f32 so it’s possible that they are different. I think I’m happy with the temperature reading now you have clarified.
I’m still confused as to how the instrument cluster is white in this picture when it’s clearly dark outside. In my F32 it will be white on the temp reading and the instrument cluster at daytime. When the sun is setting the headlights will come on but these will remain white. Then when it’s dark they will turn to orange.
your picture didnt work but the issue you are describing would be fixable by going into the cluster and searching for and replacing any orange led =) i just havent done it myself, it is possible it could be coded out though since it sounds like its switching itself on. I am just not super familiar with if a valid coding option exists for that. I think there was a coding option for the hvac but i found it to have no functional difference so i replaced the leds.
Appreciate 0