Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-07-2021, 05:52 AM   #1
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Differential settings

Hi. I would like to know how the different differential settings are from someone who knows. What is the difference between, say, M4 comp setting and M4 GTS? CS? What happens to the behaviour of the car and what is the change in the diff itself?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

As per the coders (alex and Kubax) the diff coding is either GTS or Base. CS is GTS. ZCP is Base. The difference is in how the computer tightens the diff's ball gate to apply the locking plates during use. The track boys seem to feel the GTS/CS maintains better traction coming out of corners under power, possibly due to the diff applying some progressive lockup soon as the DME feels the corner angle decrease.

I also just heard from BMW that there are 2 different rear drive ratios, one for DCT and another for 6MT…in case anyone plans a diff replacement.
      12-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
As per the coders (alex and Kubax) the diff coding is either GTS or Base. CS is GTS. ZCP is Base. The difference is in how the computer tightens the diff's ball gate to apply the locking plates during use. The track boys seem to feel the GTS/CS maintains better traction coming out of corners under power, possibly due to the diff applying some progressive lockup soon as the DME feels the corner angle decrease.

I also just heard from BMW that there are 2 different rear drive ratios, one for DCT and another for 6MT…in case anyone plans a diff replacement.
I was wondering about this the other day, maybe some opportunity...
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5458.50
      12-08-2021, 04:15 AM   #4
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Ok. Thanks for your reply. it seems like the GTS diff setting could be beneficial and easier to control a manual car with. A bit smoother engagement i guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 06:47 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
Ok. Thanks for your reply. it seems like the GTS diff setting could be beneficial and easier to control a manual car with. A bit smoother engagement i guess.
Yeah, I've got the GTS electronics and differential settings in my manual car. I think it's a positive improvement, especially in MDM where the little powerslides are more progressive and predictable than before.
      12-12-2021, 04:15 AM   #6
LYTSOUT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 F30 xDrive 6MT

I find GTS LSD (and MDM) beneficial not just on the track in turns, but also on the street in a straight line.

You've probably noticed that OEM LSD/MDM intervene and cut power when you start to get wheel spin which kills all your momentum as you have to get off the throttle to allow it grip again. By contrast, the GTS LSD/MDM allows you to stay on the throttle despite the wheels spinning so you maintain momentum. You can also control the amount of wheel spin by modulating the throttle. While this doesn't technically increase traction, per se, what it does do is make the car far more drivable and easy to control whether or not the wheels are spinning.

The GTS coding is one of my favorite mods. Highly recommend it.
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-B58 F30, 6MT, M Sport, M Perf Exhaust, Dinan Springs, BM3 Stg 1
-My B58 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1981176
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-My N55 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
I find GTS LSD (and MDM) beneficial not just on the track in turns, but also on the street in a straight line.

You've probably noticed that OEM LSD/MDM intervene and cut power when you start to get wheel spin which kills all your momentum as you have to get off the throttle to allow it grip again. By contrast, the GTS LSD/MDM allows you to stay on the throttle despite the wheels spinning so you maintain momentum. You can also control the amount of wheel spin by modulating the throttle. While this doesn't technically increase traction, per se, what it does do is make the car far more drivable and easy to control whether or not the wheels are spinning.

The GTS coding is one of my favorite mods. Highly recommend it.
Ok, thanks for the info. That is just what i´m after, more control. I find the stock Comp setting to be way to intrusive and i don't get a chance to correct the car myself before it cuts in. I hate that, especially if you are on a track and want to be able to correct the car yourself before the electronics kick in.
Appreciate 0