Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #11925
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7572.50
icegrill2078.00
      09-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #11926
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I'm so sick of the constant gaslighting of the G8x on the front page! It's truly pathetic that the philosophy is to keep cramming it in everyone's feed. It's like look at this cool guy he bought a new m3/m4 and so should you. SMH
It’s a concerted effort - just the typical guerrilla style marketing that companies use these days. They flood all forms of social media with all sorts of positivity about there product/service. It’s not just BMW or cars, it’s all major companies. Bimmerpost is just one social media outlet for BMW specifically.

Idk it’s just painfully obvious to me these days when I see products/services getting marketed thru influencers/content/social media. It’s as simple as flooding a comment section with praise or giving early access to “reviewers” to spread a certain message. Modern social media is the perfect avenue to connect directly to consumers, there’s next to no verifiability or accountability yet it has just as strong a voice if not more than traditional media forms, which whether you like it or not, typically have some basic level of accountability/verifiability/integrity. It’s just human nature as it relates to group think, the more people say something the more likely others will believe it regardless of if it’s true or not.
kmouze194.00
GrussGott18113.00
stein_325i25051.00
      09-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #11927
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
It’s a concerted effort - just the typical guerrilla style marketing that companies use these days. They flood all forms of social media with all sorts of positivity about there product/service. It’s not just BMW or cars, it’s all major companies. Bimmerpost is just one social media outlet for BMW specifically.

Idk it’s just painfully obvious to me these days when I see products/services getting marketed thru influencers/content/social media. It’s as simple as flooding a comment section with praise or giving early access to “reviewers” to spread a certain message. Modern social media is the perfect avenue to connect directly to consumers, there’s next to no verifiability or accountability yet it has just as strong a voice if not more than traditional media forms, which whether you like it or not, typically have some basic level of accountability/verifiability/integrity. It’s just human nature as it relates to group think, the more people say something the more likely others will believe it regardless of if it’s true or not.
Agreed, and in regards to the forums here, it's easy to spot instagrammers who repost their sponsored insta posts on here. I also recall a few blatantly sponsored threads where the dude was just spamming multiple sections about his great CF steering wheel or some dumb crap.

Anyone remember Bimmerpost Car of the Month awards?
Tecnniqe4197.00
      09-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #11928
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
LOL, you can argue the entire ATS-V run was "limited production"... so limited, they didn't sell.
Quote:
My advice for anyone thinking of buying a luxury product in the next 5 years, do it now! All luxury brands are pivoting to the same set of sales techniques:

(1.) Raising wholesale prices, but keeping MSRP the same

This cuts into authorized dealer profits and limits their ability to discount - thus consumer discounting starts drying up. If an AD goes out of business the manufacturer replaces it with a boutique. While auto dealers have law on their side (for now!), they're starting to use the same technique.

(2.) Limiting production
Purposely producing under demand raises prices and triggers the human scarcity response into paying more. Rolex is the most obvious about this - and despite doing it for 6 years now you still have Rolex fanbois in denial about it. In the auto-world Ferrari has famously always "produced 1 less than demand" and now MB & BMW are openly promising to limit production - Porsche already does.

(3.) Producing limited editions / capsule collections
This is great way to keep prices up, limit production, and ensure dealers can't & won't dump oversupply on the grey-market since most dealers will only get a few. Automakers have already been doing this for awhile, especially BMW, and I think we can expect a lot more of it, with lower volumes and more distinctive editions.

And, with cars, BEVs are only going accelerate this all the more with ICE models being the highest-margin niche models. If you're looking for a good auto investment - independent Porsche service & repair shops. People with 911s & especially SUVs can expect service prices to start rising as Porsche begins replacing their lines with BEVs, starting with the Macan.

This is where maybe there's good news for Cadillac:

If they can stick around long enough with an accessible sports sedan, they may end up with a hit ... though right now Hyundai/Kia is probably best positioned for that.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-19-2021 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #11929
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
[/B]

(1.) Raising wholesale prices, but keeping MSRP the same

This cuts into authorized dealer profits and limits their ability to discount - thus consumer discounting starts drying up. If an AD goes out of business the manufacturer replaces it with a boutique. While auto dealers have law on their side (for now!), they're starting to use the same technique.

(2.) Limiting production
Purposely producing under demand raises prices and triggers the human scarcity response into paying more. Rolex is the most obvious about this - and despite doing it for 6 years now you still have Rolex fanbois in denial about it. In the auto-world Ferrari has famously always "produced 1 less than demand" and now
I wonder how long dealers will last, or turn into dedicated factory authorized service centers - I can't help but think that some of these major auto manufacturers could increase their margins by going direct to consumer. They can charge less and make more literally by just cutting out the middle man.

Realistically tho dealers are here to stay at least for a little while longer. I've done work for a few major dealers and a colleague of mine is a dealer SME... they're so fundamentally rooted in US politics that they aren't going anywhere for the time being.
      09-19-2021, 10:35 PM   #11930
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I wonder how long dealers will last, or turn into dedicated factory authorized service centers - I can't help but think that some of these major auto manufacturers could increase their margins by going direct to consumer. They can charge less and make more literally by just cutting out the middle man.

Realistically tho dealers are here to stay at least for a little while longer. I've done work for a few major dealers and a colleague of mine is a dealer SME... they're so fundamentally rooted in US politics that they aren't going anywhere for the time being.
Dealers are not going anywhere, too many greased palms supporting them. Especially since most dealerships are now owned by huge corporations like Autonation.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #11931
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
It's a concerted effort - just the typical guerrilla style marketing that companies use these days. They flood all forms of social media with all sorts of positivity about there product/service. It's not just BMW or cars, it's all major companies. Bimmerpost is just one social media outlet for BMW specifically.

Idk it's just painfully obvious to me these days when I see products/services getting marketed thru influencers/content/social media. It's as simple as flooding a comment section with praise or giving early access to "reviewers" to spread a certain message. Modern social media is the perfect avenue to connect directly to consumers, there's next to no verifiability or accountability yet it has just as strong a voice if not more than traditional media forms, which whether you like it or not, typically have some basic level of accountability/verifiability/integrity. It's just human nature as it relates to group think, the more people say something the more likely others will believe it regardless of if it's true or not.
Agreed, and in regards to the forums here, it's easy to spot instagrammers who repost their sponsored insta posts on here. I also recall a few blatantly sponsored threads where the dude was just spamming multiple sections about his great CF steering wheel or some dumb crap.

Anyone remember Bimmerpost Car of the Month awards?
It's very hard to get hyped these days because everyone seems so obviously paid and bought for.

There are very few I'd trust and possibly the only one I'd say is TH simply because they seem genuine with how they behave and their background.

Maybe I'm just getting very cynical as I'm getting older
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #11932
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
This is a pretty cool series on Misha's channel where he brings with engineer working on the Polestar cars and do some laps and talking about the car.

They've done one on winter for the P2 and summers with P1 in addition to this one.
Misha shows how much skills are a factor and not the car you're in.
Polestar seems very impressive!
My polestar 2 should be arriving in the next week or so. I switched out to a 21' coming in sooner. Pretty excited to try out the öhlins.
Appreciate 3
Tecnniqe4197.00
stein_325i25051.00
GrussGott18113.00
      09-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #11933
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Quote:
This is a pretty cool series on Misha's channel where he brings with engineer working on the Polestar cars and do some laps and talking about the car.

They've done one on winter for the P2 and summers with P1 in addition to this one.
Misha shows how much skills are a factor and not the car you're in.
Polestar seems very impressive!
My polestar 2 should be arriving in the next week or so. I switched out to a 21' coming in sooner. Pretty excited to try out the öhlins.
Yep. Seems like a really nice car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #11934
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Guys we completely missed it, this is the heritage that inspired G22. Such a classic, how could we have been so stoooopid

GrussGott18113.00
minn1913970.00
      09-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #11935
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Guys we completely missed it, this is the heritage that inspired G22. Such a classic, how could we have been so stoooopid

No thanks
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7572.50
      09-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #11936
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

From the "Confess" thread…..

…I confess, yet again, that although I think black wheels are a bit year-2000 and racing stripes are a bit year-1982, I've changed my 992 build [which locks in 45 days] for the 30th time to incorporate both (…all because I saw a Rennlist member's Chalk 992 with the black Motorsport stripe…..a GT3 with a red one, and a white Carrera S with a black one……and the stripe arguably looks better on a AeroKit car or GT3 than my Sport Design car, but I digress):

P.S. As of today the AeroKit is still a no-go. I tried to add it and got the V100 code, so back to Sport Design I went.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Tecnniqe4197.00
stein_325i25051.00
Arcades8136.50
GrussGott18113.00
minn1913970.00
      09-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #11937
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

This makes me want to get a sideskirt, front lip and trunk tail

Appreciate 3
      09-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #11938
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

…I confess, yet again, that although I think black wheels are a bit year-2000 and racing stripes are a bit year-1982, I've changed my 992 build [which locks in 45 days] for the 30th time to incorporate both (…all because I saw a Rennlist member's Chalk 992 with the black Motorsport stripe…..a GT3 with a red one, and a white Carrera S with a black one……and the stripe arguably looks better on a AeroKit car or GT3 than my Sport Design car, but I digress):

P.S. As of today the AeroKit is still a no-go. I tried to add it and got the V100 code, so back to Sport Design I went.
I have already ordered my stripes from suncoast for my car. One for the top and a one for the door. Both black.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      09-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #11939
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:

I have already ordered my stripes. One for the top and a one for the door.
Nice! I thought about ordering from Suncoast too. It's nearly 1/3rd of the cost. I'm just being lazy.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      09-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #11940
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

900HP M3 vs 1600HP GT-R 24:50 and Turbo S 29:30

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1860126
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      09-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #11941
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

It should have stayed hidden from the public. Revealing it now rather than before tells me there was a reason that this concept was put on the shelf and not revealed...
Tecnniqe4197.00
swagon13482.50
RugbyBro7572.50
      09-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #11942
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
It should have stayed hidden from the public. Revealing it now rather than before tells me there was a reason that this concept was put on the shelf and not revealed...
Trying to justify the dumb design language by saying "we scrapped it once before"
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7572.50
      09-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #11943
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This makes me want to get a sideskirt, front lip and trunk tail
If I had silver/chrome wheels, I'd be putting the old chrome kidneys back on. Very clean. Alas, my 513Ms turn dark gunmetal in half a day.
      09-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #11944
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If I had silver/chrome wheels, I'd be putting the old chrome kidneys back on. Very clean. Alas, my 513Ms turn dark gunmetal in half a day.
My Shadow 666M's already look black even after I clean them
Maybe I should look at Silver instead of Gold/Bronze
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #11945
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My Shadow 666M's already look black even after I clean them
Maybe I should look at Silver instead of Gold/Bronze
I've yet to see full silver Satans! That'd be a good look maybe
      09-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #11946
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:

Where is the confess thread?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0