Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #1
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Solution: Remote Reservoir Hose Protective Sleeve/Routing

I know this is a very specific topic, but I couldn't really find any good info on it. So I thought I'd share with you the cheap/effective solution I found for routing your remote canister hose through a protective sleeve.

When I initially installed my RS Pro 3W, I didn't add any protective sleeve when I routed the hoses up to the engine bay. Like most everyone, I routed through the hole that the brake lines go through.

When I finally got around to tackling this job this weekend, I found that the rubberish coating on the steel braided hose was already torn and rubbed off at the location that the hose made contact with the metal. I also found that when I turned the wheel lock to lock, the hose was being tugged through the hole and there was quite a bit of resistance. Whew, I'm glad I didn't wait too long before doing this.

The criteria I was looking for: a protective sleeve that is semi hard but a little flexible. It had to be able to protect the reservoir hose, but move freely through the sleeve. The sleeve I found is an EVA plastic air/water hose with threaded reinforcement. It has a slick like texture that kind of acts like a natural lubricant. It's firm enough that it can hold it's shape, but flexible enough to route through the engine bay to the wheel well.

Here is a link to the part:
https://www.mcmaster.com/5632K36/

The ID is .75 inch and the thickest part of my Quick Disconnect is about .79 inch. But I was able to push it through the EVA hose with a little bit of WD40. Be sure to tape off the tip of the disconnect before doing this.

Here's a video of the initial test before I buttoned everything up.

Picture of my Quick Disconnect.

A couple of additional notes. When I buttoned everything up, I also shaved down the metal bracket for the swaybar endlink as it has some sharp edges. The reservoir hose doesn't make contact with the bracket, but comes pretty close when the wheel is turned lock to lock. So I figured to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps anyone who had questions about this very specific topic.
Appreciate 2
David0ff1056.00
TopJimmy5449.50
      08-25-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Thank you for posting!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I wrapped my remote canister pinch points with gorilla tape. It was meant as a temp fix but it works well!
      08-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Where are your canisters mounted?
      08-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
On the CF brace.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Quote:
On the CF brace.

Ahh ok, your lines are routed differently than mine. Under our air boxes you can move the wheel well plastic a bit to snake the line through…I had only 1 pinch point routing that way and the lines remain hidden
      08-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Quote:
On the CF brace.
Ahh ok, your lines are routed differently than mine. Under our air boxes you can move the wheel well plastic a bit to snake the line through…I had only 1 pinch point routing that way and the lines remain hidden
Can you post a pic of your routing when you get a chance? I'd like to know.
Appreciate 0