Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #89
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
can you post a photo?
I'm thinking of doing a light tint

Dzieki!
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #90
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I tinted mine with Vvivid smoke tint and am pretty happy with it.

Appreciate 1
      01-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #91
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
can you post a photo?

Dzieki!
Tommy, since you seem particular about the way your car appears, I would recommend NOT going that route. A tint film is not meant to match the clarity and gloss of the factory clear coat on the lights; so the lights never look as though they came with the car. Whenever I see such a car on the road, I always shake my head because no matter the skill of the installer, it always looks like a hack job because the film itself looks out of place over a car part that is meant to be as glossy as the paint surrounding it.

A tint film is meant to be installed behind the windows because seen form the outside, they act as a clear coat, giving it gloss. It is not meant to match OEM gloss on its own.

That is besides the fact that any film is prone to chipping and clouding when exposed directly to the elements...

The correct way to smoke tail lights is to remove and take your tail lights to a quality body shop and have them scuff/prep them for paint before mixing 1 part black paint with 4 parts clear (or whatever ratio they recommend) and spraying very light coats until the owner is happy with the look, then topping it off with a couple of coats of untinted clear. It is fairly inexpensive (<$300) and maintains the OEM gloss to the lights, while giving it a smooth, uniform finish that will stand up to anything the elements can throw at it.

I am also a fan of a light smoked look (think Audi/VW OEM tails) so an onlooker would be hard pressed to think they are not OEM, but that is another discussion.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #92
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
I haven't regretted it because I haven't done it, but I know I would once I did:

Coil overs + Front lip

I'm already rubbing the bumper and side skirts on driveways and speed bumps. I don't know how some of you guys do it. I don't like to feel nervous at the sight of a slight dip in the road.
Pain is beauty.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #93
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
If you're gonna do front lip dont lower it with springs get something adjustable.

Now that I've got a stage 2 tune, I dont really hear my intake anymore. So if you're going that route go with the drop in filter.
I had a tune and MSR and heard the intake big time!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #94
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
I haven't regretted it because I haven't done it, but I know I would once I did:

Coil overs + Front lip

I'm already rubbing the bumper and side skirts on driveways and speed bumps. I don't know how some of you guys do it. I don't like to feel nervous at the sight of a slight dip in the road.
I go 1mph over every bump, it's annoying but I am so scared to damage my m perf CF lip...

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 1
zamboni1129.00
      01-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #95
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Coming from modded F80 comp, (exhaust, spacers, springs, CS lip, carbon etc) to factory M4CS, is a breath of fresh air, as much as I'd love to lower it a touch, I'm going to try and resist, and enjoy the car as intended.

Mods are fine, but usually they put aesthetics over actually enjoying the drive.. we all love a lowered stance, but aiming for that extra brake pedal on the floor mat when you aporcoach a sudden dip while gritting your teeth waiting on the "sceercch" is neither fast, or fun.
The rear is already so low there is no gap at all on the CP M3.... the front could be lowered a bit but I'm leaving it!

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #96
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Red start button. Can't even see it.
Crap.... just bought that

Appreciate 1
      01-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #97
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
Quote:
can you post a photo?

Dzieki!
Tommy, since you seem particular about the way your car appears, I would recommend NOT going that route. A tint film is not meant to match the clarity and gloss of the factory clear coat on the lights; so the lights never look as though they came with the car. Whenever I see such a car on the road, I always shake my head because no matter the skill of the installer, it always looks like a hack job because the film itself looks out of place over a car part that is meant to be as glossy as the paint surrounding it.

A tint film is meant to be installed behind the windows because seen form the outside, they act as a clear coat, giving it gloss. It is not meant to match OEM gloss on its own.

That is besides the fact that any film is prone to chipping and clouding when exposed directly to the elements...

The correct way to smoke tail lights is to remove and take your tail lights to a quality body shop and have them scuff/prep them for paint before mixing 1 part black paint with 4 parts clear (or whatever ratio they recommend) and spraying very light coats until the owner is happy with the look, then topping it off with a couple of coats of untinted clear. It is fairly inexpensive (<$300) and maintains the OEM gloss to the lights, while giving it a smooth, uniform finish that will stand up to anything the elements can throw at it.

I am also a fan of a light smoked look (think Audi/VW OEM tails) so an onlooker would be hard pressed to think they are not OEM, but that is another discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
Quote:
can you post a photo?

Dzieki!

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing...

Only modification I have planned are some nice BBS or HRE wheels and tires.

The F80 is stellar in stock trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #98
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Competition

Anyone having issues with the standard adaptive suspension with the M Performance front splitter/rear diffuser? Thinking about those (not a coil-over guy, especially here in eastern PA with our awful roads), but not hot on damage. Thanks in advance for any info!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #99
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

'18 ZCP 14 months old now

-Modecarbon high kick rear spoiler (love it - formerly OEM M Perf spoiler)
-KW Variant 3 with EDC override (love it)
-M Performance everything except one or two parts, inside and out (a must)
-Xpel full front and roof (a must)
-ClearPlex windshield film (a must)
-AA mid-pipe + Remus 98mm gloss carbon tips (love it)
-Vorsteiner GTS rear diffuser (love it - formerly OEM M Perf diffuser)
-Michelin PS4S (a must)

The only re-dos or regrets have been wheels.

Vorsteiner flow forged 107s (love the look, but two of them were slightly bent - never, again, will I buy half-arsed "forged" wheels)

Work VS-XX (fav aesthetic and build quality, but offsets are too aggressive aka rubs and they're on the heavier side, but then any well made 20" multi-piece wheel will be in the upper 20s to low 30s)

Current 20" BBS FI-Rs are here to stay. IMHO, the most well-engineered street wheels made on Earth.

Last edited by THEROK; 01-02-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 6
BMR_CK35.00
shay2nak1070.00
AJM1125114.50
      01-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #100
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Quote:
can you post a photo?

Dzieki!
Sorry just saw this. Front is light tint, maybe 15% less light - not noticable when driving at night. Rear is alot more, but again not really noticable when you're driving.

01-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #101
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Red start button. Can't even see it.
Crap.... just bought that
I like mine a lot. I catch a glance every time I start the car, but I also like that for passengers it gives the car the little bit extra M power vibe that's become standard in the M5 and G series.

Now I just want to install the red M1 + M2 buttons too but don't want to detach my steering wheel/airbag.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #102
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I like mine a lot. I catch a glance every time I start the car, but I also like that for passengers it gives the car the little bit extra M power vibe that's become standard in the M5 and G series.

Now I just want to install the red M1 + M2 buttons too but don't want to detach my steering wheel/airbag.
Just FYI...you don't need to detach the steering wheel. Popping off the airbag literally takes a thin phillips head screwdriver and about 30 seconds. If you have a set or Torx wrenches, the buttons can be replaced in like 5 minutes. There a many youtube videos and even on this site detailing the process.

My point is, this is a VERY easy DIY

Cheers
Appreciate 2
soulcrft161.50
      01-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #103
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Just FYI...you don't need to detach the steering wheel. Popping off the airbag literally takes a thin phillips head screwdriver and about 30 seconds. If you have a set or Torx wrenches, the buttons can be replaced in like 5 minutes. There a many youtube videos and even on this site detailing the process.

My point is, this is a VERY easy DIY

Cheers

Mods with regret:
IND red start button: Not much regret, just a little. I was slightly disappointed it doesn't look & feel as OEM as I had hoped. It's not terrible, just a little too glossy with a slightly loose fit. That being said, it does match the M1/M2 IND red buttons well.

IND red M1/M2 buttons: Same as above, only slight disappointment that they do not look & feel as OEM as I had hoped. It's more the feel for me with these... the paint is thick and slippery compared to the black OEM buttons, thus my finger slips off of them easily, especially M2. I would have preferred a more matte look & feel. Also, the text appears more orange compared to the OEM buttons at night when lit up. I do agree with blockdoc , they're very easy to install. You do not have to remove the steering wheel, only the airbag which takes 30 seconds. Here's a link to the thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1493828

Mods worth noting (positively):
MP HAS: Best mod so far, a must for me. I wanted to lower the car to primarily eliminate the stock 4x4 height, however I've been very happy with the performance as well. They're height adjustable, so could easily raise or lower it to desired height while considering any front lip and etc.

IND painted front & rear reflector delete kits: A must for me, really cleans up the exterior IMO, especially the front. For whatever reason the amber reflectors are a complete eye sore for me anytime I see an F8x, I can't get past it!

MP Carbon DCT trim & DCT knob: Love it more than I thought, great clean look for the interior.

Macht Schnell spacers: Another must IMO. Really completes the car's stance, especially if it's lowered. Don't go overboard, a 12/10 setup is what appears to be the most preferred clean look. That being said, rocks & debris are more likely to hit the rear quarter panel with the spacers... thus consider a mud flap solution or PPF for the panel.

IND painted keyhole cover: Sounds silly, but just another small thing that helps clean up the exterior IMO.

35% tint (80% windshield) & suntek ultra PPF: Clean exterior look, good protection so far.

Considering mods this year:
- Coding for EDC, steering, MDM, rear dif, and DCT
- MP Carbon splitters and painted front lip
- MP rear spoiler
- BM3 performance tune: I know I can't survive on the stock tune forever knowing myself, and the fact that the BM3 has some well tested OTS maps and the ability to custom tune is right up my ally.
- Upgrade 8.8" idrive touchscreen to 10.25" touchscreen from the F15.

Sorry for the long post, just throwing my opinions out there in case anyone is considering any of the same mods.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 5
r0wr589.00
blockdoc373.00
shay2nak1070.00
      01-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #104
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4Y16 View Post
interior mods including red start button , 10.25" display from F15 , steering wheel pro , handles , ceramic idrive etc etc . i don't regret nothing
How did you retrofit screen from f15?
It's awesome!

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #105
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
'18 ZCP 14 months old now

-Modecarbon high kick rear spoiler (love it - formerly OEM M Perf spoiler)
-KW Variant 3 with EDC override (love it)
-M Performance everything except one or two parts, inside and out (a must)
-Xpel full front and roof (a must)
-ClearPlex windshield film (a must)
-AA mid-pipe + Remus 98mm gloss carbon tips (love it)
-Vorsteiner GTS rear diffuser (love it - formerly OEM M Perf diffuser)
-Michelin PS4S (a must)

The only re-dos or regrets have been wheels.

Vorsteiner flow forged 107s (love the look, but two of them were slightly bent - never, again, will I buy half-arsed "forged" wheels)

Work VS-XX (fav aesthetic and build quality, but offsets are too aggressive aka rubs and they're on the heavier side, but then any well made 20" multi-piece wheel will be in the upper 20s to low 30s)

Current 20" BBS FI-Rs are here to stay. IMHO, the most well-engineered street wheels made on Earth.

Gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #106
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Went the OEM+ route. No regrets.
Appreciate 2
shay2nak1070.00
      03-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #107
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Entire BMW Performance parts including MPE. Not worth $10,000.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #108
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I would agree with the drop in filter over an intake, which is basically just eye candy, and to some extent, ear candy, depending on the intake. I would also agree that it would be a bummer to get an expensive front lip and lowering springs, only to trash the lip on every bump and driveway. Much to my pleasant surprise, I have the MP front lip and MS Comp springs, and I have yet to scrape anywhere after two weeks of driving in LA. However, I am more careful on dips and driveways that look severe enough to present a risk. But that little bit of extra care has been worth it in my view, because I love the stance and the lip.
I love the coating on your mineral grey! What is it please I'm thinking of doing something similar!
      03-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #109
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

bought painted reflectors and black out grills. 2 hours and nothing done. my fingers definitely regret it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      03-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #110
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by propete1031 View Post
I love the coating on your mineral grey! What is it please I'm thinking of doing something similar!
Thanks! I got a full frontal PPF, along with rockers and rear fender flares (Prestige ClearGuard Nano) and ceramic coat (OptiCoat Pro).