proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-22-2022, 08:45 PM   #1
im4real
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Question F82 M4 Ticking Noise at High Speeds and Brake Judder

Hello all!

I recently purchased a 2015 M4, 6 speed that is mostly stock except for H&R lowering springs and a lug conversion spacer kit in the rear. It has close to 60k miles

First off, amazing car.

I discovered 3 interesting issues that I was hoping I could DIY fix as I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

1) ticking noise at high speeds

I noticed that while I'm driving, whenever my car is next to a wall or another car (something to echo the sound of my car back to me) there is a ticking noise coming from the passenger side that increases in frequency the faster I drive. I know it is not tied to the speed of the engine as I've downshifted/upshifted and even brought it out of gear while rolling, and the speed of the ticking stays the same unless the speed of the car changes. at 70 mph, it's ticking at 360 ticks per minute (drummer brain). I read about the infamous issue of rocks getting stuck between the brake shield and rotor, but those issues seem to happen at low speeds/turning. This does not sound like that issue. I do not hear anything at low speeds and its definitely not as loud as some of the videos I've seen with those sounds.

2) brake judder

I noticed when I brake from high speeds (70-80mph) to approximately 30 mph or so, my steering wheel and brake pedal will vibrate, sometimes pretty aggressively. This seems to have gotten worse since I purchased the car. I've put 2k miles on it so far and it didn't have this issue when I bought it. It has slowly gotten worse and worse. I do a lot of highway driving without the need of a lot of braking. I read that a potential fix is to sand down the rotors to get rid of the pad deposits, which I will be trying next - but if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know! If this doesn't work, I might have to replace rotors/pads. I don't think they were ever replaced, but the pads to have some life left.

3) strut click

I noticed that when I press on the pass side fender/hood area, I will hear a clunk from what I presume is the struct mount/mechanism. The driver's side does not have this noise.

I'm not sure if these issues are inter-related but if anyone has any thoughts, that would be awesome.

Thank you so much!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #2
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

High speed ticking sounds like a front wheel bearing. The good news is that it’s a simple DIY.

While you are doing the wheel bearing you can look over your brakes. Sometimes just removing the pads and cleaning everything can take care of any problems. But pad deposits are usually caused from tracking. So if you haven’t been tracking your car, I’m not sure why there would be deposits on the discs.

Good luck
Appreciate 0