Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-30-2022, 01:53 AM   #1
aaleksem
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340i

Buying a F82 M4

Hey guys, So I'm planning on Buying a F82 M4 in about 2 weeks, I was set on one but I backed out because it has a sunroof (I'm looking for the carbon fiber roof) I know that's kind of a dumb reason but to me I prefer the Carbon Roof. Now that I'm looking around for other options, what is the Highest Milage one I should stop considering at? S55 is a reliable engine but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I saw one with 60k miles but it feels rather high? What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 02:48 AM   #2
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaleksem View Post
Hey guys, So I'm planning on Buying a F82 M4 in about 2 weeks, I was set on one but I backed out because it has a sunroof (I'm looking for the carbon fiber roof) I know that's kind of a dumb reason but to me I prefer the Carbon Roof. Now that I'm looking around for other options, what is the Highest Milage one I should stop considering at? S55 is a reliable engine but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I saw one with 60k miles but it feels rather high? What do you guys think?
They last pretty long. 60k might seem high to you but check this out for some context:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1043508

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2042.00
      09-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

The cars can last a long time. It's all about maintenance and history of the car. You can always do a PPI, including leakdown/compression, to help reduce anxiety when buying a higher mileage one. The less number of owners the better. Clean carfax is better.

It also depends on your goals for the car. Are you trying to have it be a collector or quasi collector car? If so, then every mile less on the car is a win. If you intend to buy, drive, and enjoy the car, then mileage doesn't matter as much.

Good luck with your search.

Also - why would you NOT get the carbon roof!? Having that from the factory is really cool, and not something that a lot of cars have the option for.
      09-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
aaleksem
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
The cars can last a long time. It's all about maintenance and history of the car. You can always do a PPI, including leakdown/compression, to help reduce anxiety when buying a higher mileage one. The less number of owners the better. Clean carfax is better.

It also depends on your goals for the car. Are you trying to have it be a collector or quasi collector car? If so, then every mile less on the car is a win. If you intend to buy, drive, and enjoy the car, then mileage doesn't matter as much.

Also - why would you NOT get the carbon roof!? Having that from the factory is really cool, and not something that a lot of cars have the option for.
Because M4 with a sunroof is a bit more heavy than a M4 with a carbon fiber roof, and who doesn't love carbon fiber??😅
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Quote:

Because M4 with a sunroof is a bit more heavy than a M4 with a carbon fiber roof, and who doesn't love carbon fiber??😅
CF roof is well worth it and correct me if I'm wrong gives more headspace which is nice when you put on a helmet
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #6
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
People that had chipping and peeling carbon roof. This is why I PPF my whole roof!

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605798
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760069
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #7
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

CF roof is well worth it and correct me if I'm wrong gives more headspace which is nice when you put on a helmet
While we're on the topic of options… consider a 6MT 💪

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 1
Tecnniqe4197.00
      09-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

While we're on the topic of options… consider a 6MT 💪

Warning, it squeaks
Appreciate 1