GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #23
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzM3 View Post
I'm still going with the tractive touring set. Vertix I would check the install as no reviews I've seen describe anything but positive stuff to say. My install is this Thursday and Ill let you all know how it is afterwards.
3 of us here locally are running the tractive touring setup, all 3 have the same outcome. 2 different shops installing them and both are very reputable.

The spring rate alone is stiffer than stock, which is contributing to alot of this. The dampers themselves in comfort run at a much softer rate than stock however you can't get around stiffer springs making this change. Stiffer springs make things stiffer..

The dampening however is wayyyy wayyyyyy better. So big potholes at speed, it just handles them sooo well.
Ok thanks for the info. When you say increase in NVH are you referring to the stiffer ride or is there an increase in noise from the suspension?
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 04:22 AM   #24
Vertix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 CP Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzM3 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. When you say increase in NVH are you referring to the stiffer ride or is there an increase in noise from the suspension?
Stiffer ride. Theres no sound like loose suspension parts or anything like that.
Appreciate 1
CruzM3284.00
      11-02-2022, 12:05 AM   #25
f82m4mg
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe

Quote:
I'll add after a few thousand KM with the tractive touring setup, its made the sport & sport plus much better, but comfort has taken a hit in some areas.

Not sure if its the spring rate increase (significantly stiffer than stock) or the dampers themselves, but there is a decent increase in NVH and it does not ride over small sharp surface changes as well. It definitely chucks you around more inside the car.

Working with local supplier (DNA autosports) to see what we can do here. Just wanted to give a clear image for those interested in purchashing them, so they know what to expect.

Once at speed, it rides over things like potholes etc way better, especially in sport/sport+ its soooo much better than stock its not funny.

BUT if you have a fussy Mrs, she will not appreciate the less comfort that comfort mode gives with the tractive shocks. After the first drive she was already asking wtf changed hahaha
Just following up if you where able to get anywhere with DNA on reviewing the spring rate to address the comfort issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #26
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anyone compare this to something like the mcs 1 way kit bimmerworld sells?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:12 AM   #27
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Footnote, I added the Bimmerwold monoballs, and SPC toe arms recently. All I can say is wow! I had no idea what a difference this would make to the overall handling. The toe arms especially, the rear end is so composed.

Loving this suspension still, I raised my front ride height slightly because the roads around DFW near my home have some pretty bad potholes. I still believe this is the best suspension I have ever felt in a BMW, followed closely by my B6 set up on my E92 M3.

Can't wait to get it back down to COTA, my last event down there was in 106 degrees, cooling down now in DFW time to go again. Having the composure in the rear end with the Tractive really makes the power useful instead of scary.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:55 AM   #28
TTR M240i
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Seems like you lads now have another option......
'Nitron' are releasing this:

https://www.professionalmotorsport-e...70b3b4c7b46c5a

There's a quick video under "Exhibitor Interviews"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 02:33 AM   #29
Vertix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 CP Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82m4mg View Post
Just following up if you where able to get anywhere with DNA on reviewing the spring rate to address the comfort issue?
So I coded the car with the CS suspension and this made a suprisingly solid difference. Happy with where its at atm. Makes me wonder what the shocks would be like with something like a DSC controller/ACE controller where we get more control over the electronics vs the built in OEM module. Its a pretty impressive combo in my mates GT3.

I'll consider revalving it when the time comes for a rebuild, but for now the comfort level is good enough, and the sport/sport+ is much better.

As a ridiculously crazy comparison simply because its the cars I have available to compare, my Pista in bumpy road mode rides MUCH better than my m4 in comfort
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #30
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I coded the car with the CS suspension and this made a suprisingly solid difference. Happy with where its at atm. Makes me wonder what the shocks would be like with something like a DSC controller/ACE controller where we get more control over the electronics vs the built in OEM module. Its a pretty impressive combo in my mates GT3.

I'll consider revalving it when the time comes for a rebuild, but for now the comfort level is good enough, and the sport/sport+ is much better.

As a ridiculously crazy comparison simply because its the cars I have available to compare, my Pista in bumpy road mode rides MUCH better than my m4 in comfort
I find that the Tractive is way better than stock on bumpy roads, mine would crash over bumps all the time and the HAS just amplified it. I use mine in sport mode on the street and it is very compliant. I also have zero NVH from this system, not sure where that is coming from? My kit was installed by Texas Track Works in Fort Worth and they worked closely with Inertia on the set up. I also have the CS tune on my car and it just plain works. If you went from a stock M3 to my car you would immediatly notice the difference.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #31
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Jims M3 Vertix

Great feedback on these mods, your leading me down that road.

Wanted to know if you guys have done the rear diff bushings?

Many thanks!
      01-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #32
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phefner View Post
Jims M3 Vertix

Great feedback on these mods, your leading me down that road.

Wanted to know if you guys have done the rear diff bushings?

Many thanks!
No just the toe arms and monoball bushings. Works fantastic.
Appreciate 1
phefner366.00
      06-11-2023, 04:41 PM   #33
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Just a headsup for owners fitting Tractive or other EDC compatible suspension. There is a little known fact that EDC has wear compensation, whereby it tries to compensate for lost of damping (due to wear) by stiffening the valving (to a certain extent). This needs to be "reset" so that the EDC system is aware that there are new dampers installed and not make them artificially stiffer.

Last edited by mlhj83; 06-12-2023 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 4
Wanted_M756.00
phefner366.00
swagon13506.50
somer950.50
      06-28-2023, 12:12 AM   #34
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Just a headsup for owners fitting Tractive or other EDC compatible suspension. There is a little known fact that EDC has wear compensation, whereby it tries to compensate for lost of damping (due to wear) by stiffening the valving (to a certain extent). This needs to be "reset" so that the EDC system is aware that there are new dampers installed and not make them artificially stiffer.
How do I do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:26 AM   #35
RbBugBitMe
PdV Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Garage List
Jims M3 do you know what your wheel rates are?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 11:16 AM   #36
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
How do I do that?
You need ISTA or an appropriate diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #37
noemon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I installed Tractive Touring Kit in August 2021, first shock went in November 2021, took 6 months to get a replacement.

Second shock went in June 2022, Tractive rebuilt the shock and send it back in February 2023, it went bad again within 2 weeks, still waiting for a resolution. EDIT: Tractive Refund has now come through.

The shocks were pretty nice for the first 2 months they were all working, a massive upgrade from stock, but the customer service and the downtime has been so massive, I basically do not want to hear about Tractive ever again.

I am now between the MCS 3 way and the Nitron R3.

Any recommendations welcome.

Last edited by noemon; 07-04-2023 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #38
RbBugBitMe
PdV Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Garage List
Have you looked into R53 Engineering? I'm not sure if they have a design already for your car.

I also recommend Penske to anyone that can afford it but I don't know anything about ProTrust in the UK that reps for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 11:40 PM   #39
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post
I installed Tractive Touring Kit in August 2021, first shock went in November 2021, took 6 months to get a replacement.

Second shock went in June 2022, Tractive rebuilt the shock and send it back in February 2023, it went bad again within 2 weeks, still waiting for a resolution. EDIT: Tractive Refund has now come through.

The shocks were pretty nice for the first 2 months they were all working, a massive upgrade from stock, but the customer service and the downtime has been so massive, I basically do not want to hear about Tractive ever again.

I am now between the MCS 3 way and the Nitron R3.

Any recommendations welcome.
What does it feel likr when a shock/s go out?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 03:33 AM   #40
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

This is probably why my F82 car feels so unstable.. Firstly my suspension has a lot of miles on it, but in general, in non-MDM mode (any suspension setting) I feel like it's going to kill me. In MDM it feels MUCH better, but still, no where near the confidence I would like. I'm actually faster (due to confidence) with our Macan Turbo S (and the M4 has RE71RS tires, the Macan has Pirelli Scorpions, so that's saying a lot). My McLaren is like driving on another planet where the roads have rails.

Of course, I don't expect the M4 to be McLaren-level, but should be significantly better than the Macan.

I think a set of Tractive might be the next thing to go on (I did the rear subframe bush already), plus toe arms and monoballs maybe?

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #41
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
How "little known" are we talking here? My mechanics have never heard of such a thing? I also run Tractive touring.
Appreciate 1
funk323154.00
      07-11-2023, 05:08 PM   #42
funk323
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Garage List
2019 BMW M4CS  [10.00]
I have never seen anything written about this either. So if BMW were to replace my shocks they will reset this some how/some where?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #43
Monkibouy
Rep
Drives: BSM F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
How "little known" are we talking here? My mechanics have never heard of such a thing? I also run Tractive touring.
I think they may be referring to the EDC height calibration, you can do that via ISTA. I did this after my Evolve Bilstein install and it noticeably improved the ride.
Appreciate 1
funk323154.00
      07-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #44
noemon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachineM3 View Post
What does it feel likr when a shock/s go out?
There is a mild noise coming from that side and the car no longer feels proper, the EDC may throw a fault or it may not.

Because of this, it took me over a month to properly diagnose.
Appreciate 0