Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #23
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

No issues on mine. A quality OEM like system that just works. Had it for over a year so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #24
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-pressed View Post
Only issue I came across is the reverse functionality of the EDC.

Sport Plus was comfort, comfort was Sport Plus. Drove me insane until I figured it out. The EDC needs to be recalibrated and then the issue is sorted.

Other than that, had no faulty wires or error codes.
Would you mind sharing how you managed to recalibrate the EDC?.

I have just got the B6 damptronics installed; and I appear to have the same issue. Comfort & Sport Plus seem to have been reversed.

Thanks.
      07-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #25
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Would you mind sharing how you managed to recalibrate the EDC?.

I have just got the B6 damptronics installed; and I appear to have the same issue. Comfort & Sport Plus seem to have been reversed.

Thanks.
So I will say that when I first got the B16 kit installed, I thought I had the same problem. I emailed a Bilstein rep and they (not surprisingly) said that this was impossible. With more seat time, I think it's just the particular damper/rebound tuning in each mode is such that it makes you feel this way, at least in the beginning. I suggest you try only driving in Sport+ for a week, then do same thing with Comfort. Switching back and forth rapidly to suss out the difference I think you're more prone to placebo effect/mind playing tricks on you/confirmation bias, so you really need to get a larger, consistent sample size. I recently had a vertical acceleration sensor go bad, which locks the dampers full stiff. I was stuck driving like that for a week, then got a replacement sensor and back to Comfort in my daily driving, and in retrospect I definitely feel that Comfort is more compliant. But this kit is stiff overall, so I think that is what makes the differences harder to appreciate
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      07-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #26
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
So I will say that when I first got the B16 kit installed, I thought I had the same problem. I emailed a Bilstein rep and they (not surprisingly) said that this was impossible. With more seat time, I think it's just the particular damper/rebound tuning in each mode is such that it makes you feel this way, at least in the beginning. I suggest you try only driving in Sport+ for a week, then do same thing with Comfort. Switching back and forth rapidly to suss out the difference I think you're more prone to placebo effect/mind playing tricks on you/confirmation bias, so you really need to get a larger, consistent sample size. I recently had a vertical acceleration sensor go bad, which locks the dampers full stiff. I was stuck driving like that for a week, then got a replacement sensor and back to Comfort in my daily driving, and in retrospect I definitely feel that Comfort is more compliant. But this kit is stiff overall, so I think that is what makes the differences harder to appreciate
Thank you for the feedback. As you rightly said, it is too early for me to judge the shockers, need some to bed in as well.

On some potholes, it was Comfort that was more stiff and on some it was Sport+ that was more stiff. And you are right; changing it too frequently does confuse things.

Thank you for the confirmation about Bilstein informing that the modes cannot be reversed.
      07-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #27
Couna777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3CX

Also had it for about an year with multiple f8Xs
no problem!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #28
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I’ve had my Damptronic setup for well over a year with no issues and self installed.
Sorry for re-surfacing this over a year later. You mention that you installed the Bilstein damptronics yourself. Quick question: how / where did you run the front EDC wire from the bottom of the shock into the engine compartment to connect to the original EDC wire?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #29
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
Sorry for re-surfacing this over a year later. You mention that you installed the Bilstein damptronics yourself. Quick question: how / where did you run the front EDC wire from the bottom of the shock into the engine compartment to connect to the original EDC wire?
Iirc it was through the plastic fender panel into the heat shield area.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #30
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

I have them on my E92 M3 and they are great, but on my F80 I ordered two sets of the damptronic and both of them wouldn't communicate with the stock system. I installed tractive and had no issues. I would have loved to have used the same set up I had on my E92 but could never get a set to work.
Appreciate 0