Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #45
E92toF80M3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Add me to the club! I just had my diff fluid replaced 9 gays ago, on 2017
M3 ZCP at 49,800 miles, drove about 350 miles or so. Found some fluid on the floor of my garage. Took it to the dealer today. They have discovered my rear diff input shaft seal leaking. Off course, it's 150 miles out of warranty now. They have kept the car and trying to talk to BMW to see if they can help me with the cost. Otherwise it's $1,300 out of my pocket. 🤞hopefully BMW will step up, since I just had it in for service.

I'll try to add a picture in a bit.
I'll update you on the result as well.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:43 PM   #46
E92toF80M3
Rep

Follow up as promised!

After taking my M3 to local dealer
"BMW of Bellevue" for the leaking seal problem as mentioned earlier,
BMW actually stepped up and fixed it under warranty, even though it was 150 miles over 50K! Huge thank you to BMW for saving me $1300, didn't expect them to cover 100%, and I am super thankful that they did! Way to go BMW!!! Thank you 👍!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      11-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #47
karlskry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Silverstone/Sakhir

passenger side seal was replaced at the end of my factory warranty in 2019 at ~42,000 miles. Now the SAME seal is leaking again, BMW is saying that since the car was worked on under factory warranty, the parts warranty is only good until the end of the factory warranty. $900 job to replace it.

My dealer is pretty good normally with replacements- my SA is taking it up the chain to see if they can get it done for free or reduced cost.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 12:16 AM   #48
E92toF80M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskry View Post
passenger side seal was replaced at the end of my factory warranty in 2019 at ~42,000 miles. Now the SAME seal is leaking again, BMW is saying that since the car was worked on under factory warranty, the parts warranty is only good until the end of the factory warranty. $900 job to replace it.

My dealer is pretty good normally with replacements- my SA is taking it up the chain to see if they can get it done for free or reduced cost.
How many miles on your car now?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #49
6spd4lyfe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Was just told by dealer that Right Differential Output shaft seeping and was told it would be $1730 to reseal both output shafts and get an alignment. The SA made it seem like I can just wait and see what happens during my next service date and said it didn't need to be fixed now. Any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #50
AngelsofVerdun
Rep
Drives: A90 Supra

I just purchased my M2C from our local BMW dealer as a Certified Pre-Owned car. Imagine my surprise when I get it on the lift to put the AA catback on and see there is a class two leak at the passenger-side seal of my diff. The diff also has "sharding" on the heatsink fins, clearly demonstrating the previous owner hit something. The car runs well--I think.. It's APPALLING that this thing passed the CPO tests, even the underside of the front bumper is wrecked. While I know people are going to criticize me for not checking all of this on my own, this car was getting A LOT of attention at my local dealer: M2C w/ Exec Pack and manual. I kind of made the purchase quickly; I've been trying to find a M2C locally with Exec and manual for a LONG time. On top of that, I also have the infamous wheel tick/click when turning the wheels or when the car first starts rolling. When I took the car to my dealer for it, the SA claimed "it's just M brake things"

It is going to the dealer this week, and I am still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #51
Skiy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsofVerdun View Post
I just purchased my M2C from our local BMW dealer as a Certified Pre-Owned car. Imagine my surprise when I get it on the lift to put the AA catback on and see there is a class two leak at the passenger-side seal of my diff. The diff also has "sharding" on the heatsink fins, clearly demonstrating the previous owner hit something. The car runs well--I think.. It's APPALLING that this thing passed the CPO tests, even the underside of the front bumper is wrecked. While I know people are going to criticize me for not checking all of this on my own, this car was getting A LOT of attention at my local dealer: M2C w/ Exec Pack and manual. I kind of made the purchase quickly; I've been trying to find a M2C locally with Exec and manual for a LONG time. On top of that, I also have the infamous wheel tick/click when turning the wheels or when the car first starts rolling. When I took the car to my dealer for it, the SA claimed "it's just M brake things"

It is going to the dealer this week, and I am still under warranty.
This is because the rear diff has too much play upon acceleration. Check you rear diff bushing. When it wears diff twists and axle puts pressure on the seal causing leak. Replace rear diff brace with the turner dual mount with the new oem bmw poly bushing in the two subframe holes and it should be good. I had same issue. Was getting little leak and I clean it up after diff brace and no more leaks. Same seal. And if you looks its almost always passengers seal that leaks
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #52
lawnmower351
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiy View Post
This is because the rear diff has too much play upon acceleration. Check you rear diff bushing. When it wears diff twists and axle puts pressure on the seal causing leak. Replace rear diff brace with the turner dual mount with the new oem bmw poly bushing in the two subframe holes and it should be good. I had same issue. Was getting little leak and I clean it up after diff brace and no more leaks. Same seal. And if you looks its almost always passengers seal that leaks
I also have the passenger seal leaking on my 16 M3. Is this the brace you purchased?
Turner Dual-Mount Differential Plate - With ECS Poly Diff Bushings - F8x M2 M3 M4
Turner Motorsport
T#: 589795 | Part#: 026773tms03KT
Is this the same as the powerflex version. Thinking about installing this plate and bushing instead of taking it to the dealer to replace the seals.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #53
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Skip those ECS diff bushings and get the purple PowerFlex. They're slightly stiffer than OEM with no added NVH. I did my diff front and rear with them on my drag M4.

The Turner plate is good stuff I hear, and others also have made copies in good quality. It's a milled plate…
      12-29-2022, 07:48 PM   #54
Skiy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

[QUOTE=lawnmower351;29680774]I also have the passenger seal leaking on my 16 M3. Is this the brace you purchased?
Turner Dual-Mount Differential Plate - With ECS Poly Diff Bushings - F8x M2 M3 M4
Turner Motorsport
T#: 589795 | Part#: 026773tms03KT
Is this the same as the powerflex version. Thinking about installing this plate and bushing instead of taking it to the dealer to replace the seals.

Yea I got that plate. I would personally skip all the aftermarket poly bushings and get the 2019+ m4 oem yellow bushings. They are poly with a outrer foam layer that you compress. No NVH and like $40-50 each. Get two and you are set. I checked a few times after souple thousand milea and no new leaks. Clean where it was leaking with brake cleaner and wipe the grime off and keep an eye on it. Mine stopped leaking. Also just double check your diff fluid level or change it altogether. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 01:14 AM   #55
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Power flex and Ecs are the same polyurethane but the ecs are more harsh and track orientated.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 01:16 AM   #56
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

If your diff bushing looks like this oh boy
Attached Images

Appreciate 1