EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
basadan
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

DIY: F83/M4 convertible battery removal/replacement

My M4 convertible was throwing a replace battery error at every start up, I tried charging and clearing the error but never had any success. After some research the process sounded a little more involved than the coupe but not overly so. The best price I could get from a UK dealer was £650 supply only, there appeared to be no aftermarket alternatives. I’m not a mechanic so please follow the instructions but at your own risk.

Tools used:

10mm, 13mm spanners.

Cable ties

Flat head, cross head screwdrivers

Rheingold ISTA+ and OBD/RJ45 cable

Time taken 1hr

The battery is located in the boot on the offside, under the carpet which is fastened down via some push through fasteners. Taking this out is the hardest part, the carpet is shape formed and doesn’t bend very easily. I didn’t lower the roof half way as others have suggested, it was raining and I didn’t have clearance in my garage.

The securing brackets uses a 13mm and 10mm bolt at either end, undo and remove these and the bracket.

Disconnect the battery negative terminal using the 10 mm spanner, put the terminal protector from the new battery over the old battery’s terminal. The wire is quite thick and will go back into position causing sparks if let go of, then cable tie back the cable out of the way to the nearest hardpoint used by the roof mechanism.

Disconnect the battery positive terminal, use cable ties to secure out of the way, then transfer terminal protector to positive terminal as they are slightly different diameters and it won’t fall off when you start to move the battery around/out.

Use the flat head screwdriver to gently pry off the black corrugated tube, being careful not to get any fluid if present on your bare hands, use rubber gloves if needed. Secure the tube using cable ties to a hard point or the positive cable which has already been fastened out of the way.

There two wires connecting into the battery near the negative terminal, squeeze the clip open and withdraw, tucking back behind the nearby loom wiring.

The battery is clamped to the car by two long silver bolts with cross heads through a bracket, undo the first but don’t pull it out. The second is underneath a black plastic insert, this should be slid towards the positve terminal end of the battery and withdrawn. When the second silver bolt is undone pull them both out together with the bracket. There should be two plastic washers still on the shafts on or just above the threads, ensure these are both still there or the bracket will be more difficult to refit.

The battery can now be lifted out, keep the positive side higher than the negative and it’s a little tight but clears all the wires, pipes and brackets.

Transfer the rubber cover to the new battery’s positive terminal and refitting is the reversal of fitting.

Once in and connected use the Rheingold ISTA+ (or another programming application) to register the new battery and then clear the error memory of the car, there are quite a few youtube videos on this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
DavidOz
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible, Silverston

Excellent info. Im about to do the same in my M4 convertible.
      11-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Most would be more interested how you obtained the 69AH LithiumIon Battery for £650
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
gottspd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Lexus LC500, MK4 Supra

bumping an old thread... for those that have replaced their batteries, did you use a charger (like the ctek one)?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
brianholland
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i 2016 Convertible

Very simple to remove shaped carped once convertible top has been lowered to point where the boot stands vertical. Too hard to do otherwise.
Appreciate 0