ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #23
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
I am very curious about this as well. Anyone chime in?
I cannot speak of your flash tune, but a new software update WILL erase your current coding.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #24
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I wouldn't mind doing the recoding, but the ECU flash is a problem.
      05-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #25
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Because your car would take a bay up in the workshop, a tech has to do the upload etc...

If the dealer is targeting service bays and techs time to a revenue/profit stream (all will do of course) it comes down to a good will gesture and some people will have more good will than others.

I know at my dealer if I ask the right people I'll get little things done for free but if I go through service reception there is a high likely hood that the standard tariff kicks in for anything.
Understood and I agree. However, my point is that software updates should be free and BMW should be compensating the dealership for the time spent in the bay similar to warranty work.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #26
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Understood and I agree. However, my point is that software updates should be free and BMW should be compensating the dealership for the time spent in the bay similar to warranty work.
I agree they should be free and I'll push to get mine updated for free. But if BMW doesn't deem this a necessary software update, even though everyone here will, they won't reimburse dealers and offer it for free. And by necessary software update I mean BMW finds that when headlamps are switched on and off 5 times the side indicators no longer function. That' something they would have to fix and for free.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #27
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
I agree they should be free and I'll push to get mine updated for free. But if BMW doesn't deem this a necessary software update, even though everyone here will, they won't reimburse dealers and offer it for free. And by necessary software update I mean BMW finds that when headlamps are switched on and off 5 times the side indicators no longer function. That' something they would have to fix and for free.
So now HERE is an interesting question.

What items COULD you bring it in for that might warrant a dealership to perform the latest update under warranty?

Curious about people's answers to this.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #28
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post

What items COULD you bring it in for that might warrant a dealership to perform the latest update under warranty?

According to my SA, they fully update the car with the new software if you bring it in for anything. I'm quite a while out for an oil change, but I have had the "NO SIGNAL" display on my monitor a couple of times since I've had the car. I'll bring it in for that and get the new software.

Anyway, just ask your SA and I'm sure they will work with you to get it done under warranty/for free. Obviously, it is definitely dealership dependent though how much they will work with you on stuff like this.

Last edited by minn19; 05-13-2016 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #29
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
According to my SA they fully update the car with the new software if you bring it in for anything. I'm quite a while out from an oil change, but I have had the "NO SIGNAL" display on my monitor a couple of times since I've had it. I'll bring it in for that and get the new software.

Anyway, just ask your SA and I'm sure they will work with you to get it done under warranty/for free. Obviously, it is definitely dealership dependent though how much they will work with you on stuff like this.
I'm heading in for an inspection (it's been a year since my ED in 2 days...unbelievable) and some squeaky brake pads in a month. I, too, get a "no connection" message in my widgets screen a few times a month. Sounds like a good excuse to me

Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #30
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

iDrive shutting off randomly on me (happened a total of 5ish times in 1.5 years of ownership, so I haven't brought it in yet)
      05-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #31
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
According to my, SA they fully update the car with the new software if you bring it in for anything. I'm quite a while out for an oil change, but I have had the "NO SIGNAL" display on my monitor a couple of times since I've had the car. I'll bring it in for that and get the new software.

Yup, another reason to have a great relationship with your dealership/SA, they can put it through as warranty work for any number of reasons if they wish to. They get paid from BMW for the work and you get a free update, win/win on both sides. But if you're always going in and breaking their balls over trivial stuff, in these particular cases they might not want to help you with the update. If manditory they have to, if up to the disgresion of the dealership then this is where relationships help. I'm sure this is not new for most of us.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #32
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

I'll be picking up my 57.2 - 58.3 upgraded car today. Will let you know. It will be interesting to compare this change to the ZCP I test drove (Note I have an F80, and the ZCP was a F82 if that makes a difference). Let's see if the suspension is just software or if there is that big a difference in the hardware.

I have a very bumpy corner near me and the non-ZCP will step out on the corner at anything over 30mph, the ZCP did not. Should be able to test this afternoon (if it doesn't rain.)
      05-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

So does this update make the suspension harder or more comfortable?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #34
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
Both. Just got back from picking mine up after the upgrade to 58.3. There are discernible and measurable differences.

I have a bumpy corner near me that I usually use to test. The Non-ZCP would step out at 30 and above in any mode, the ZCP didn't in my test drive (up to 45, dealer was sitting in the car with me). The newly updated Non-ZCP doesn't step out at under 45 in sport or Sport+, but it did before the upgrade.

Suspension- You can only do so much with software, but it is noticeable.

Comfort - More REBOUND!!! Finally. The car no longer floats after slow transitions. It is no softer, but this helps it feel more "comfortable" to me.

Sport - Appears they backed down the compression for higher speed transitions. Otherwise it feels the same.

Sport+ - Appears they backed down the compression for higher speed transitions. Otherwise it feels the same.

Engine - Nothing new to report
Exhaust - Nothing new to report

DCT - Still clunky at low speeds. Noted that it no longer makes a loud "Clunk" when going from reverse to drive.

DTC - Here is where the magic happened. (Tested in abandoned parking lot near me.)

DTC On - This acts much like US MDM used to but more permissive. Hairpin from a stop it will now allow some rotation, but not sliding. 1st -2nd in D3 full throttle - Allows the tires to spin and lets you keep going. Very minimal interference at all. Before if I tried either of these would cut the power so severely that it felt like I tapped the brakes.

DTC MDM - This acts much like EU MDM used to but more permissive. Hairpin from a stop it will now allow rotation with NO interference. I could loop the car. NP. When I tried to pull a donut it came in and resisted me. 1st -2nd in D3 full throttle - Allows the tires to spin and lets you keep going. NO interference at all. Before if I tried either of these would cut the power so severely that it felt like I tapped the brakes.

DTC Off - No Change, but the rear feels much more planted (New Diff programing?). With the immense changes to the other settings I couldn't feel this.

Net of this change. Where has this car been? I was in love before, now I've fallen in love all over again. I think what they did with the DTC is to stop killing the power and do it all with the brakes. The difference is startling. Can't wait for my next track day.

(Note: All of the above was after I drove around to let the tires warm up.)
      05-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #35
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Both. Just got back from picking mine up after the upgrade to 58.3. There are discernible and measurable differences.

I have a bumpy corner near me that I usually use to test. The Non-ZCP would step out at 30 and above in any mode, the ZCP didn't in my test drive (up to 45, dealer was sitting in the car with me). The newly updated Non-ZCP doesn't step out at under 45 in sport or Sport+, but it did before the upgrade.

Comfort - More REBOUND!!! Finally. The car no longer floats after slow transitions. It is no softer, but this helps it feel more "comfortable" to me.

Sport - Appears they backed down the compression for higher speed transitions. Otherwise it feels the same.

Sport+ - Appears they backed down the compression for higher speed transitions. Otherwise it feels the same.

DCT - Still clunky at low speeds. Noted that it no longer makes a loud "Clunk" when going from reverse to drive.

DTC - Here is where the magic happened. (Tested in abandoned parking lot near me.)

DTC On - This acts much like US MDM used to but more permissive. Hairpin from a stop it will now allow some rotation, but not sliding. 1st -2nd in D3 full throttle - Allows the tires to spin and lets you keep going. Very minimal interference at all. Before if I tried either of these would cut the power so severely that it felt like I tapped the brakes.

DTC MDM - This acts much like EU MDM used to but more permissive. Hairpin from a stop it will now allow rotation with NO interference. I could loop the car. NP. When I tried to pull a donut it came in and resisted me. 1st -2nd in D3 full throttle - Allows the tires to spin and lets you keep going. NO interference at all. Before if I tried either of these would cut the power so severely that it felt like I tapped the brakes.

DTC Off - No Change, but the rear feels much more planted (New Diff programing?). With the immense changes to the other settings I couldn't feel this.

Net of this change. Where has this car been? I was in love before, now I've fallen in love all over again. I think what they did with the DTC is to stop killing the power and do it all with the brakes. The difference is startling. Can't wait for my next track day.

Way too much hyperbole in your review.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #36
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Way too much hyperbole in your review.
And here I thought I was being objective.
      05-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #37
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Seemed pretty objective and fair to me.
      05-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #38
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Quote:

Excellent, thanks!

I just left my car at the dealer to perform the update... How can I know they did the correct update? or they can only perform the latest?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #39
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm heading in for an inspection (it's been a year since my ED in 2 days...unbelievable) and some squeaky brake pads in a month. I, too, get a "no connection" message in my widgets screen a few times a month. Sounds like a good excuse to me
Drew, please report back your experience. Curious to know a few things:

1) Did you specifically have to ask Otto's to do the software update? Who was your SA?

2) Do you notice any noticeable change?

3) Did it wipe out the coding?

Thanks.

Ricky

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #40
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And here I thought I was being objective.
You know i'm joking, right?

Make sure you read my 2015 non-ZCP vs 2016 ZCP review.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #41
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Seemed pretty objective and fair to me.
It's a good thing we have you around. Not sure what we'd do without your analysis.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #42
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post

I was wondering if it was just me or if they made suspension changes.

I still feel the need to go coilovers, but I will admit it feels a little better. Like you said , only so much you can do with software.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #43
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You should do another thread comparing the 2016 non-CP to your CP

A lot of folks on the forum gave me a hard time when I said I never buy the first year model and free reading your thread I am glad I waited for the 2016 M3. The LCI was a bonus

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #44
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes I did. I was returning the sarcasm.

And I did. I was just adding to the info having driven all 3. Old code and new code non-ZCP and a ZCP.

Last edited by tke743; 05-13-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0