Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #23
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

I experience this too.. I have an early build 15 M4. I was paranoid at 1st but then I vaguely remember the E90/92 DCT quirks. I figured it's just the nature of driving a race trans slow.. When I'm ripping it on the autobahn on D3 its smooth as funk
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodude310 View Post

What is a civic M?
The plain vanilla M: no CP. no GTS. no CS.

it's been well established with opinions of performance numbers and high-speed imaging that the vanilla M is no better than a honda civic, thus civic M.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-12-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #25
Motodude310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The plain vanilla M: no CP. no GTS. no CS.

it's been well established with opinions of performance numbers and high-speed imaging that the vanilla M is no better than a honda civic, thus civic M.
Haha. Ok thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
BEAT TX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP Alpine White

I dont notice any noise in my 17 ZCP M3. However, I also came from a GT-R and that car made more noise than anything I have ever owned, so maybe mine is only quiet in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #27
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

I have also you hesitation on 5th gear sometimes i can feel it in 6-7too and i think the problem are the clutches.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #28
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Drive line lash? My Early build M4 has a ton...it clunks and clanks all the time under normal driving
What was that ? I have clunk noise from my dct too under load
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #29
CHEKM4TE_
Rep
Drives: M4

Guy with a fake Mbadge tried to race me, I'm too old to race so I was just going to show him who is boss off the line, but when I started to slow down he zoomed right pass me and that's when I saw his fake badge, so I wanted to speed up to show him my disdain, but when I went to downshift from 4 to 3 I lost power somehow. DCT always seems to let me down at the most crucial moments.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #30
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Was at a dealership yesterday and a guy with a 2016 M4 whas this, they changed the gearbox and he STILL has it!!!, he was well pi**ed off.
Probably because it is drive line lash as some one else mentioned. Some cars have it, some do not. Does not hurt anything but annoying for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #31
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Probably because it is drive line lash as some one else mentioned. Some cars have it, some do not. Does not hurt anything but annoying for sure.
I have that clunk backlash noise at my Bmw
All mounts bushings was changed and still on low gears I hear clunk noise from my transmision under load . Specially when I’m stoping my car on traffic lights I hear excessive buck(clunk) . Leave my car at the dealership they said It is no problem with my dct transmision which is really hard to believe .
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #32
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasz17azs View Post
Quote:
I have that clunk backlash noise at my Bmw
All mounts bushings was changed and still on low gears I hear clunk noise from my transmision under load . Specially when I'm stoping my car on traffic lights I hear excessive buck(clunk) . Leave my car at the dealership they said It is no problem with my dct transmision which is really hard to believe .
Because it probably is not the DCT. I realize they make some odd noises typically from the E-diff which is normal but OP said it's when letting off and getting back on throttle especially at lower RPMs. That is classic driveline lash. To me driveline lash is from the input shaft back to differential. Mustangs are notorious for it. I had both a 99 and 2004 Mustang Cobra with manual transmissions and they both had it. It irritated me but I learned to "drive around it" using the clutch and throttle and just excepted the fact it was the nature of the beast.

I realize you can't to this with a DCT and I'm not saying that you or the OP do not have an issue. Maybe you do maybe you don't. I'm just saying it'seems to be a fairly common problem with some cars and my best guess is normal tolerance gaps at either end of the driveshaft. My M3CS does not have it and if it did it would bother me too.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #33
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Because it probably is not the DCT. I realize they make some odd noises typically from the E-diff which is normal but OP said it's when letting off and getting back on throttle especially at lower RPMs. That is classic driveline lash. To me driveline lash is from the input shaft back to differential. Mustangs are notorious for it. I had both a 99 and 2004 Mustang Cobra with manual transmissions and they both had it. It irritated me but I learned to "drive around it" using the clutch and throttle and just excepted the fact it was the nature of the beast.

I realize you can't to this with a DCT and I'm not saying that you or the OP do not have an issue. Maybe you do maybe you don't. I'm just saying it'seems to be a fairly common problem with some cars and my best guess is normal tolerance gaps at either end of the driveshaft. My M3CS does not have it and if it did it would bother me too.
Thanks for your reply brother.

Before I had stiffer bushings (poweflex ones ) on my diff . I couldn’t drive that car ! Lot of clunking noises from my driveline make me nuts! So I decided to go back to oem
Ones. Why I changed bushings ? The back one had crack on it and probably because of that craked bushings I didn’t hear any clunking noise from my driveline before . Now everything is stiff and now I’m abble to hear every noise on my car . It is really annoying . Upshift is smooth as butter just downshift (low gears 1-2) have sometimes lag, clunk , buck and all that noises. Hate that thing
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #34
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasz17azs View Post
Thanks for your reply brother.

Before I had stiffer bushings (poweflex ones ) on my diff . I couldn’t drive that car ! Lot of clunking noises from my driveline make me nuts! So I decided to go back to oem
Ones. Why I changed bushings ? The back one had crack on it and probably because of that craked bushings I didn’t hear any clunking noise from my driveline before . Now everything is stiff and now I’m abble to hear every noise on my car . It is really annoying . Upshift is smooth as butter just downshift (low gears 1-2) have sometimes lag, clunk , buck and all that noises. Hate that thing
I forgot to mention when I got back to oem bushings the noises are definitely quieter but still noticeable
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #35
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

And yes yesterday I just rolling my car at the parking lot and letting off the throttle when the box change the gear from 1 to 2 and I had that clunking noise on my dct or driveline , I saw the car underneath and I can see it’s is a massive play inside of the transmision.
Appreciate 0