GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
grantcv1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

What does the BMW Maintenance Plan really cover?

When I bought my 2015 BMW M4 five years ago, I was arm twisted to pay an extra $3,995 for an extended warranty that I was told was transferrable.

My car is now at 58,000 miles. A couple months ago I brought it in for service -- as the car was requesting it. At the time, I asked about my warranty and they said things would basically continue as they were up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Of course, they covered the service cost including scoping the engine, oil change, new filters, brake flush, wiper blades, and new spark plugs. There were a few "BMW suggests" add-ons, but I was already adding on four new tires and a realignment so I declined everything else.

Well, immediately after I got my car back (like on the drive home), I started to smell a burning smell. With Covid-19 and all, I haven't driven much. Finally, I decided the smell wasn't just oil that dripped during the service burning off.

So, back to service the car went today. It's a leaking gasket -- and the repair cost is $2,300. So I asked about my warranty and today learned it's just a maintenance plan. So basically I paid $4K for three oil annual services, some fluids, filters, and wiper blades. Oh, and apparently the plan isn't transferrable. That's convenient.

Was I ripped off? Does BMW really charge $4K for a few more regular services? And why did the leak start after the last service? (I seem to recall my previous 3 series having the same problem at about the same time just after its 60,000 mile server too)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Someone's gonna say it so it might as well be me. You paid $4000 for contract which you did not read until 5 years later.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1127.50
      05-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
grantcv1
United_States
Rep

I knew that was coming -- and yes. I actually never "got" a contract.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Hard to believe you paid $4K for a contract you didn’t get or look over but it is what it is. At least get a copy of it now to review.

Don’t you have the purchase paperwork? What does it say next to the $3,995? Does it say warranty?
      05-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Don't confuse the BMW Maintenance Program with the BMW Warranty Program. Your title asks about the BMW Maintenance Plan (not the Extended Maintenance Program) and you describing a warranty issue (leaking gasket), or in this case an out-of-warranty issue.

New BMWs prior to model year 2017 came with a 4 year/50,000 mile free maintenance program, meaning that all regular maintenance would be covered at no additional cost. Regular maintenance means oil/fluid changes, spark plug replacements, cabin filter replacements, windshield wipers, and brake fluid, pads and rotors. (See the Terms & Conditions for specifics.)

With model year 2017 and after, the free maintenance period was reduced to 3 years/36,000 miles and no longer covers brake pads and rotors. Since 2015 neither of these free maintenance programs are transferable.

The BMW OEM Warranty Program is for 4 years/50,000 miles and covers anything that fails or breaks that is not part of normal maintenance as stated above, or regular wear and tear (flat tire, bent rim, road rash, windshield chip, etc.) (See the Terms & Conditions for specifics.) BMW Extended Warranty programs can come in different levels (Platinum, Gold, Silver) that include or exclude different items, and for different periods (an additional 3 years/75,000 miles, 3 years/100,000 miles, etc.)

You apparently bought the Extended Maintenance Program, not the Extended Warranty Program (which would have cost way more). Most people think that the Extended Maintenance Program is definitely not worth it, particularly if you have an independent mechanic that can do normal maintenance, or if you can do your own oil changes, brake pads and rotors, etc.

All of the various BMW programs discussed, the OEM Maintenance Program, the OEM Warranty Program, the Extended Maintenance Program, and the Extended Warranty Program have their own set of Terms and Conditions which spell out exactly what is covered, what isn't covered and for how long. I'm guessing that you never read any of them.

Overview of the BMW Maintenance Program: https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html.
The BMW Service & Warranty Program: https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...nty-books.html

As the consumer, it is on you to understand what it is you are purchasing and exactly what it covers. You had no idea what you were buying, or what it covered. This is completely on you, not the dealer or BMW.

I also noticed that you said that you were "arm twisted to pay an extra $3,995". You either agreed to pay it or you didn't, what you're describing is extortion. Was it actually extortion? Experienced car buyers know better than to even listen to these after-sales pitches. Just tell them no!

Edit: I just noticed that you're from San Diego. I'm guessing that your experience was with BMW of Encinitas or BMW of San Diego, am I right?

Last edited by SD ///M4; 05-30-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

Maintenance plan would only cover routine maintenance 30, 60, 90K mile services, oil changes etc. Basically you prepaid all your standard maintenance for 7 years/100K miles (whichever comes first) and it would NOT cover any repairs.

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #7
grantcv1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I also noticed that you said that you were "arm twisted to pay an extra $3,995". You either agreed to pay it or you didn't, what you're describing is extortion. Was it actually extortion? Experienced car buyers know better than to even listen to these after-sales pitches. Just tell them no!

Edit: I just noticed that you're from San Diego. I'm guessing that your experience was with BMW of Encinitas or BMW of San Diego, am I right?
When I was buying the car, the question asked went something like:

"The car comes with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty and that includes full maintenance. For $3,995 we can extend that to 7 years/100,000 miles. Would you like to do that?"

I asked if it was transferable and the answer was definitely yes. (turns out that was a lie too) The way the question was worded made it seem like I was just paying for another option on the car, not like I was buying something extra. I didn't get a pamphlet on any option I added.

Now I'm realizing the crafty wording of the "option" I hadn't been expecting a BMW, in this day and age, to still be so sleazy.

This was BMW of Riverside. But that's okay. It will soon be time to replace my car and they're not where I will be returning. They suckered me once. They won't get to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

The easiest and best way to deal with the finance guy is just a blanket "NO" to everything besides the car.
Appreciate 7
gatorfast4991.50
SD ///M42992.00
Mar481099.50
c12h231.00
hAxel91.00
arashir164.00
      05-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Well it was transferable in 2015, the program changed afterwards (and the fine print probably covered that possibility). Second, depending on your maintenance needs, it can be worth it (at dealer priced), if you need new brakes or spark plugs between year 5 and 7. Third is is still transferable if you pay a $700 fee. When i bought my 2016, I paid the $700 fee to extend because I knew I had over $700 in maintenance due before the maintenance plan would expire.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #10
Mracer88
Private
Rep
Drives: 98.5' E36/M3 15' F80/M3/6SPD

my maintenance plan was one of the main reasons i bought my car. free oil, pads, rotors, filters, spark plugs, etc, i have 0 complaints. set of rotors and pads around easy 2000 maybe more
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:30 AM   #11
TheProjectM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mracer88 View Post
my maintenance plan was one of the main reasons i bought my car. free oil, pads, rotors, filters, spark plugs, etc, i have 0 complaints. set of rotors and pads around easy 2000 maybe more
None of the maintenance plans include brakes and rotors now, so that is out of question sadly.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      05-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #12
Ru35ian
Rep
Drives: 18' F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheseUncertainTimes View Post
The easiest and best way to deal with the finance guy is just a blanket "NO" to everything besides the car.
That might be easy to say, but at least in my case, the finance manager told me it was the difference between 3% rate and 11% because I was buying a new car that was 2 model years old and was not covered by current FS offers...

I did read the contract and ask about it: you can cancel maintenance plan at any time and have the balance credited to your outstanding principal. I haven't tried to cancel yet because I've been taking it in to tighten up some rattles to a dealer and they've been using the maintenance plan to cover the work as well as my initial break-in service.
      05-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru35ian View Post
That might be easy to say, but at least in my case, the finance manager told me it was the difference between 3% rate and 11% because I was buying a new car that was 2 model years old and was not covered by current FS offers...

I did read the contract and ask about it: you can cancel maintenance plan at any time and have the balance credited to your outstanding principal. I haven't tried to cancel yet because I've been taking it in to tighten up some rattles to a dealer and they've been using the maintenance plan to cover the work as well as my initial break-in service.
They were BSing you. That doesn’t make ANY sense. We’re going to give you a better rate if you buy this extended maintenance plan. I would consider BBB and never going back. Your rate is determined by your credit worthiness and the financial institution, not the dealer and not any add-ons

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
SD ///M42992.00
      05-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #14
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Don't confuse the BMW Maintenance Program with the BMW Warranty Program. Your title asks about the BMW Maintenance Plan (not the Extended Maintenance Program) and you describing a warranty issue (leaking gasket), or in this case an out-of-warranty issue.

New BMWs prior to model year 2017 came with a 4 year/50,000 mile free maintenance program, meaning that all regular maintenance would be covered at no additional cost. Regular maintenance means oil/fluid changes, spark plug replacements, cabin filter replacements, windshield wipers, and brake fluid, pads and rotors. (See the Terms & Conditions for specifics.)

With model year 2017 and after, the free maintenance period was reduced to 3 years/36,000 miles and no longer covers brake pads and rotors. Since 2015 neither of these free maintenance programs are transferable.

The BMW OEM Warranty Program is for 4 years/50,000 miles and covers anything that fails or breaks that is not part of normal maintenance as stated above, or regular wear and tear (flat tire, bent rim, road rash, windshield chip, etc.) (See the Terms & Conditions for specifics.) BMW Extended Warranty programs can come in different levels (Platinum, Gold, Silver) that include or exclude different items, and for different periods (an additional 3 years/75,000 miles, 3 years/100,000 miles, etc.)

You apparently bought the Extended Maintenance Program, not the Extended Warranty Program (which would have cost way more). Most people think that the Extended Maintenance Program is definitely not worth it, particularly if you have an independent mechanic that can do normal maintenance, or if you can do your own oil changes, brake pads and rotors, etc.

All of the various BMW programs discussed, the OEM Maintenance Program, the OEM Warranty Program, the Extended Maintenance Program, and the Extended Warranty Program have their own set of Terms and Conditions which spell out exactly what is covered, what isn't covered and for how long. I'm guessing that you never read any of them.

Overview of the BMW Maintenance Program: https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html.
The BMW Service & Warranty Program: https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...nty-books.html

As the consumer, it is on you to understand what it is you are purchasing and exactly what it covers. You had no idea what you were buying, or what it covered. This is completely on you, not the dealer or BMW.

I just learned so much. Answers to questions I didn't even know I had. Thank you! I totally screwed up when I bought my 2015, my gut told me so a year later, and you just confirmed it. I bit on this as well, but now I know better. There's always a lesson to learn, and I'm glad the warranty was mine, not the car itself.

I'm going to sell mine before 60,000 now.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      05-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru35ian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheseUncertainTimes View Post

"Rattles" are not a maintenance issue, it's being covered under your factory warranty. That would of occurred, regardless if you opted for the additional maintenance plan or not.

The reason they were giving you a better rate if you took the maintenance plan is because the financing person is trying to say; if he can't eat from adding points onto the prime interest rate you really qualified for, he wants to feast on commission of the maintenance plan; either way, you're paying for his dinner, if you want this car.

To cancel the plan, the finance manager has to sign off on it and they can play games because they get a chargeback on the commission they made off of it, once it's terminated. So it's in their best interest to be sly about your cancellation right.

I had to chase down one finance manager with a bat, Tony Soprano-style, before he stoped bullshitting me and sign the cancellation form.

Long story but sales people are shadier than hookers and with both, you're guaranteed getting fvcked.
Appreciate 2
Mar481099.50
      06-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
ANP202
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar48 View Post
They were BSing you. That doesn’t make ANY sense. We’re going to give you a better rate if you buy this extended maintenance plan. I would consider BBB and never going back. Your rate is determined by your credit worthiness and the financial institution, not the dealer and not any add-ons
This is why it’s important to have your financing before setting a foot into a dealership. I was told by finance manager that he can beat my credit union rate by .9%... I was like cool, let’s do it, however when I declined all their protection, maintenance and other bullshit add ons that add up to 5k, he said well your rate is going to go up significantly. I’m like no problem, I’ll just use mine. He didn’t like that and was visibly upset but nothing he could do
Appreciate 2
Mar481099.50
SD ///M42992.00
      06-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProjectM3 View Post
None of the maintenance plans include brakes and rotors now, so that is out of question sadly.
Actually they can, BMW of North Houston gave me two difference prices for maintenance plans up to 75k.

I think close to $1600-$1800 included pads (which I refused), I paid about $1300 without them
Appreciate 0