proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #23
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
But the RCF doesn't have the same Chassis as the Camry.

Per CNET:

Lexus tells me that the RC's chassis is based on a combination of the Lexus GS' front end, the IS C convertible's passenger floor and mid-chassis stiffening, and the IS sedan's rear suspension. Cross chassis braces mean that the RC F loses the 60/40 split folding rear seats that you'll find on the standard RC 350, but also gives the suspension a more solid platform to work from.

Obviously the frankenstein chassis is part of the weight issue they have but Lexus deserves more credit than they are getting for this car. If you had to pick hit or miss, it would be a miss. But they are trying, and will only get better from here. Interior feels better than our M cars, and looks are subjective. I happen to like them.
It also explains the weight and the lack of pure driving pleasure.
      04-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #24
Buddy Revell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4, 991 911 Turbo

Sounds about right. Lexus is just clueless when it comes to its "performance" division.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #25
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Obviously the frankenstein chassis is part of the weight issue they have but Lexus deserves more credit than they are getting for this car. If you had to pick hit or miss, it would be a miss. But they are trying, and will only get better from here. Interior feels better than our M cars, and looks are subjective. I happen to like them.
I actually think they have taken a step back. The IS-F was big leap forward for Lexus and their performance image. It actually was a good car, still is. The RC-F seems like a hack job, example the chassis.

They have enormous resources, it is Toyota after all. I just don't understand. Build a new light weight platform, get a new turbo V8 in development, maybe even a dual clutch(not entirely necessary). Combine that with the styling, top shelf interiors, and reliability. They could really make the Germans sweat in this segment.

Chris makes a good point. They have the ability and the money, but yet this is what they produce.

My only guess is "bean counters" are still in control, making the upper level decisions. There is a reason Caddy is now producing some very high performance and track focused cars, because of Mark Reuss. He is making the decisions on basically all of GM's performance cars and he is a true car enthusiast. GM is making a whole hearted attempt at changing Caddy's brand image and while doing so building some incredible cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #26
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I actually think they have taken a step back. The IS-F was big leap forward for Lexus and their performance image. It actually was a good car, still is. The RC-F seems like a hack job, example the chassis.

They have enormous resources, it is Toyota after all. I just don't understand. Build a new light weight platform, get a new turbo V8 in development, maybe even a dual clutch(not entirely necessary). Combine that with the styling, top shelf interiors, and reliability. They could really make the Germans sweat in this segment.

Chris makes a good point. They have the ability and the money, but yet this is what they produce.

My only guess is "bean counters" are still in control, making the upper level decisions. There is a reason Caddy is now producing some very high performance and track focused cars, because of Mark Reuss. He is making the decisions on basically all of GM's performance cars and he is a true car enthusiast. GM is making a whole hearted attempt at changing Caddy's brand image and while doing so building some incredible cars.
I would take a RC-F over an ATS-V every single day. Looks better both inside and out and has similar performance. Lexus > Cadillac.
      04-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #27
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I would take a RC-F over an ATS-V every single day. Looks better both inside and out and has similar performance. Lexus > Cadillac.
I definitely wouldn't. I would take a manual ATS-V, with full aero package and track the sh*t out of it. Styling is personal, but the RC-F is kinda nasty.

I would take an older IS-F, over an RC-F. If I had to choose.

Last edited by hellrotm; 04-16-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #28
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't. I would take a manual ATS-V, with full aero package and track the sh*t out of it. Styling is personal, but the RC-F is kinda nasty.

I would take an older IS-F, over an RC-F. If I had to choose.

Let's see if GMs cooling issues have been rectified on this platform before discussing any track beatings.

As for the RC F I'm still looking forward to seeing one on the road, I think the cars got a great looking side profile. Real sleek, still not better in any way to me compared to the M4
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #29
Buddy Revell
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Yeah, he has certainly been very vocal in his dislike of this car.

At first (and then especially after his video review) I thought it was becoming a little bit like just kicking a puppy....but reading this, I think his intention is more to challenge Lexus along the lines of 'hey, morons that brought us the wonderful LFA: more of THAT, less of THIS" (jerks thumb towards blubbery and blubbering RC F in corner).

....or maybe he is seeing how cantankerous he can be because he is gunning for JC's old job on Top Gear....
Yup, Clarkson made the same exact point (except in classic rude Clarkson fashion) on the episode about the RC-F.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #30
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell View Post
Yup, Clarkson made the same exact point (except in classic rude Clarkson fashion) on the episode about the RC-F.
I don't actually recall seeing another JC review of a car that is supposed to be good that was so negative. I mean, to literally just say "I'm not even going to bother putting it around our track.....".....yikes.
      04-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #31
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
You are on sonething if you think rcf will perform at same lvl as atsv. Although no official figures are out yet, many speculate atsv could perform even higher than m4. Rcf isnt even in the same league lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #32
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
You are on sonething if you think rcf will perform at same lvl as atsv. Although no official figures are out yet, many speculate atsv could perform even higher than m4. Rcf isnt even in the same league lol
No man, other than the hash oil I smoked last night (thanks Colorado!) Im not on anything. Game changer IMO.

The RC-F is fast and whatever advantage the ATS-V will have wont be enough IMO. I've driven the RC-F and loved it on the roads. I drove an ATS (non-V) and was so disappointed with the interior. The gauges in that car are silly and Chevy Malibu quality. I just dont like the way the ATS looks, inside and out. At least the Lexus is different, the Caddy just blends in and is imminently ignorable.
      04-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #33
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:

Agree on all counts. Toyota has the resources to challenge the Germans but their executives have the heads stuck in the mud. Lexus doesn't have nearly the same luxury brand recognition as BMW or MB, so what they should really do is to over-deliver and put out a kick ass car.

Instead, they come up with a bloated, heavy, slower car that looks as fugly as the Predator monster to challenge the Germans. WTF?! I don't care if this car can go 0-60 in 3s, I'm not buying something this ugly and heavy. After the IS-F, I had high hopes from Lexus but the RC-F is severely disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #34
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I saw rcf in person driving and I think it's really sharp. I think it is a niche of less 0erformance oriented folks who want a nice cruiser that's sporty looking. Looked good
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #35
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Shots fired, shots returned.

http://www.clublexus.com/articles/cl...-doesnt-get-f/
      04-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #36
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
if that's an rebuttal, it's pretty weak on actual substance that Harris is anti-Lexus. (when he's in fact just anti-shitty cars). Even some of the comments quoted hint at the fact that the RCF is weak sauce.

They are comfy cars to drive on the road that "look" high performance.

No Thanks.
      04-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #37
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Saw the car in person and it is gorgeous and mean looking! Definitely a looker imo! Too bad it has the same engine as the IS-F from 2008... and weights over 4000lbs. Probably still be a good daily driver/GT car with some power though; I just don't think that was the target market Lexus was going for (and they definitely missed the mark)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #38
Buddy Revell
First Lieutenant
Rep

Saw one just this morning and I have to admit it looks quite a bit better in person than in pics. I think the driver thought I was revving on him because of my loud downshifts due to the valve mod lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #39
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

It's disappointing that Honda and Toyota have gotten out of sport cars for so long (MR-2 Turbo, Supra Turbo, S2000 Club Racer, NSX, RSX Type R, Civic Type-R Hatch). Nissan has been killing it with the Z and GTR. The NSX will be the answer for Honda and the Supra is still a rumor, some even say the Supra will be powered by a BMW i8 drivetrain. If so, Supra will miss the mark completely as the fans expect a raw V8 or i6 TT (tuner friendly).

Acura and Lexus look hideous in the last few gens. I would fire those designers and start over. They make reliable machines, but the styling makes me want to throw up.

This comes from a guy who truly loved the original brands. Just venting.
      05-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #40
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

While on my way to a local Cars & Coffee this morning, a RC-F turned onto the road I was traveling. Because I was already in motion, and he was turning from a stop, I closed up on him quick (I was roughly at the posted 40mph speed limit). He saw me and gunned it, going well past 40.

I didn't care to play, as cops were out in force today. And, the turn off for the event was the next block.

He parked at the C&C, popped his hood. Funny thing was, peeps just walked on by his car the whole time.
      05-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #41
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
While on my way to a local Cars & Coffee this morning, a RC-F turned onto the road I was traveling. Because I was already in motion, and he was turning from a stop, I closed up on him quick (I was roughly at the posted 40mph speed limit). He saw me and gunned it, going well past 40.

I didn't care to play, as cops were out in force today. And, the turn off for the event was the next block.

He parked at the C&C, popped his hood. Funny thing was, peeps just walked on by his car the whole time.
Sounds like a GENNY ZONE style win.
      05-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #42
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Sounds like a GENNY ZONE style win.
Its the "F" zone
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #43
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I hope this is only the beginning for them and they improve the design. I wish they would throw caution to the wind and produce a manual.

Too bad they missed the mark though.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 04:59 AM   #44
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Its the "F" zone
LEXI ZONE!