VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
GP87
Private
Rep
Drives: Current:F82 M4 Previous:F83 M4

Track Days

Hi all,

Has anybody taken their M3/M4 to a track day? I'm considering booking a Silverstone day in June, and interested to hear other owner's experiences. I've done a few on my bike, so I have a good idea of prep required, tyre wear etc for bikes but not cars.

Thanks,

G
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
gingercapt
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3

Smile hey

was thinking of doing the same but for Brands wonder if there are any price differences
Appreciate 1
GP877.00

03-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S

Yes, just yesterday actually. Been on track plenty, but first time in the M4. Taking it to Spa in a few weeks time too.

A standard car will be fine apart from the standard brakes. The pads will overheat very quickly and you'll get brake fade before long, so most folk who track them swap the pads fir something better at high temps.
GP877.00

03-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
GP87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercapt View Post
was thinking of doing the same but for Brands wonder if there are any price differences
Silverstone is £469 in June. I'm not familiar with Brands, but Silverstone is so wide with some nice long stretches to get some power down with plenty of passing room.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
GP87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Yes, just yesterday actually. Been on track plenty, but first time in the M4. Taking it to Spa in a few weeks time too.

A standard car will be fine apart from the standard brakes. The pads will overheat very quickly and you'll get brake fade before long, so most folk who track them swap the pads fir something better at high temps.
Thanks, useful to know. I have standard brakes and need to change my pads soon anyway (and some new rubber!). Did you have any trouble getting power down and the back end kicking out, exiting slow corners etc? Are there any other handling characteristics that may not be fully apparent from driving on the road that you became aware of?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep

I thought it handled superbly well to be honest. I knew it would be fast, but hadn't expected it to be quite so good for lateral grip and traction. You clearly have to manage the throttle in a slower, tighter corner, but not bad at all really. In the faster corners it was incredible. Only when really really pushing it did I have some oversteer.

I'm on coilovers though, and running GTS software throughout, so can't be sure what a standard earlier car might be like, as they had a bit more of a reputation for being a handful at times.
      03-03-2019, 03:57 AM   #7
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

I tracked my previous M4 a few times and you can survive with stock brakes if you don't go flat out and manage them carefully - I tend to not do that so really easy to melt stock pads onto your rotors which is a pain.

I then used EBC yellows a few times and they are 'ok' but lack feel and fall to bits ... I'm trying the MP pads next so will see how they work - supposed be pretty close to RS29s.

The handling and balance is surprisingly good for such a big car - I back to back drove vs a caterham as I was (and still am) tempted with one - to be honest, I didn't feel short changed in the M4 - it was faster and whilst heavier and less visceral, was actually just as fun and well balanced. The main difference is running cost different given weight, complexity etc of the M.

It's a bit of a heavy, expensive car to put too many miles on at a track but as a 'now and again' track car I think it's pretty impressive and loads of fun.

Heading Blyton Park in April with the MP pads on my new M4CP so I'll see how they go.

Rich.
Appreciate 1
GP877.00

03-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
GP87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I thought it handled superbly well to be honest. I knew it would be fast, but hadn't expected it to be quite so good for lateral grip and traction. You clearly have to manage the throttle in a slower, tighter corner, but not bad at all really. In the faster corners it was incredible. Only when really really pushing it did I have some oversteer.

I'm on coilovers though, and running GTS software throughout, so can't be sure what a standard earlier car might be like, as they had a bit more of a reputation for being a handful at times.
Good to know. Mine is a Ď14 plate running Bootmod3 and GTS Transmission flash. Surprisingly, despite the added power, this has made power delivery more linear and progressive, whereas the lump of torque previously would cause the car to almost snap at you!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
GP87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
I tracked my previous M4 a few times and you can survive with stock brakes if you don't go flat out and manage them carefully - I tend to not do that so really easy to melt stock pads onto your rotors which is a pain.

I then used EBC yellows a few times and they are 'ok' but lack feel and fall to bits ... I'm trying the MP pads next so will see how they work - supposed be pretty close to RS29s.

The handling and balance is surprisingly good for such a big car - I back to back drove vs a caterham as I was (and still am) tempted with one - to be honest, I didn't feel short changed in the M4 - it was faster and whilst heavier and less visceral, was actually just as fun and well balanced. The main difference is running cost different given weight, complexity etc of the M.

It's a bit of a heavy, expensive car to put too many miles on at a track but as a 'now and again' track car I think it's pretty impressive and loads of fun.

Heading Blyton Park in April with the MP pads on my new M4CP so I'll see how they go.

Rich.
Thanks, sounds like Iíll need the upgrade. Interested to hear how you get on with the MP Pads. I had the Ferodo DS2500 in mind, due to minimal squealing and good reviews.

Good to hear your direct comparison against a Caterham. It would be very fun to run an Ariel Atom as a dedicated track car!

I think every M owner needs to track their car at least once! I donít think Iíll make a habit of it though, as I get more kicks on my bike (that visceral feel you describe).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Rich.
I felt exactly the same about mine on Friday. I drove my Boxster in the morning, then M4 in afternoon, and the M4 was incredible in comparison. To the point where I'm now thinking to sell my Boxster, as I was only really keeping it for track days.

It will be expensive to run on track, but the money saved in not running two cars will offset it.

I think I'll have a year or two and see how it goes, and if it's too much I might get an Exige, or something lighter more suited for out and out track work.
      03-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpinderp View Post
Quote:

Rich.
Thanks, sounds like I’ll need the upgrade. Interested to hear how you get on with the MP Pads. I had the Ferodo DS2500 in mind, due to minimal squealing and good reviews.

Good to hear your direct comparison against a Caterham. It would be very fun to run an Ariel Atom as a dedicated track car!

I think every M owner needs to track their car at least once! I don’t think I’ll make a habit of it though, as I get more kicks on my bike (that visceral feel you describe).
I have the DS2500 on and they're brilliant on the road. No noise at all. They were fine on track the other day, and fine for occasional use I'd expect. Bit you'll still need to manage them, and they wear out quickly with track use.

However, I was also running Alcon discs, which will manage the heat better than the standard discs.
      03-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
GP87
Private
Rep

I've been thinking about this over the last few days.

So I ride a Ducati, and Ducati UK hold two Ducati only track days per year. Always a sellout, and a lot more of a relaxed environment, with no worry of the stereotypical Yamaha R6 owner torpedoing you in a corner in attempting to be the next Valentino Rossi.

Are BMW missing a trick here by not running something similar and exclusive for members of the M Club; or is anyone aware of any unofficial clubs who organise and host such days?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP87 View Post
I've been thinking about this over the last few days.

So I ride a Ducati, and Ducati UK hold two Ducati only track days per year. Always a sellout, and a lot more of a relaxed environment, with no worry of the stereotypical Yamaha R6 owner torpedoing you in a corner in attempting to be the next Valentino Rossi.

Are BMW missing a trick here by not running something similar and exclusive for members of the M Club; or is anyone aware of any unofficial clubs who organise and host such days?
BMW GB car club do hold track days.