Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Herky Jerky

My DCT is really herky jerky, especially in lower gears. Anyone else experiencing this?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No one?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

your leg might be herky jerky when you are pressing the pedal

if thats not the case, take it into your dealer and give the service rep a ride to show him the issue. GL

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No herky jerky legs. No user error.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Mine is the same. Cannot stand that about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The DCT even with GTS software sometimes exhibits the "kangoroo" effect (term used in m3cutters), especially in 1st gear and S+, it looks and feels as if you are starting to learn to drive a manual...

In a way, it's cool, maybe the computer doesnt know how to actuate the DCT clutches :
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
The DCT even with GTS software sometimes exhibits the "kangoroo" effect (term used in m3cutters), especially in 1st gear and S+, it looks and feels as if you are starting to learn to drive a manual...

In a way, it's cool, maybe the computer doesnt know how to actuate the DCT clutches :
Mine is always in 2nd gear. A few times it has actually moved me/seat forward and aft. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I have an actual issue.

EDIT: Happens in any and all settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The DCT 1st/2nd gear are known to be "moody" in S+, but it only happened probably 5 times in the past 22 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Park89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah it is jerky in 1 - 2nd gear. Especially during the deceleration (2nd -> 1st).
You will have to apply the correct amount of force on the brake not to make it jerky & you'll eventually get it as i did.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

I agree with others, 2nd not too bad, 1st is ridiculous, only downfall of this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

You just need to commit to the pedal position when accelerate. If you are trying to adjust/modulate, the car will jerk especially in 1st/2nd and with S/S+ because the throttle is more sensitive than efficient. Once you get used to it, it'll misbehave less often.
Appreciate 3
      05-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #12
brownb_2
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Embrace the jerk
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      05-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:

Mine is always in 2nd gear. A few times it has actually moved me/seat forward and aft. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I have an actual issue.

The bucking is part of the car. Been like that since day one. You have the hex tune as well yeah? That only exaggerates it. A lot. And it's not the tune, it's the tune exaggerating an existing issue because of the extra power and throttle sensitivity. I went back to stock this week and I can tell you the bucking still happens. 1st and 2nd gears. Mainly in sport or sport plus, but has even happened a few times in efficient. When I had the tune, it happened a lot more and was way more exaggerated. As soon as it starts doing it, shift and let off the throttle a little
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The bucking is part of the car. Been like that since day one. You have the hex tune as well yeah? That only exaggerates it. A lot. And it's not the tune, it's the tune exaggerating an existing issue because of the extra power and throttle sensitivity. I went back to stock this week and I can tell you the bucking still happens. 1st and 2nd gears. Mainly in sport or sport plus, but has even happened a few times in efficient. When I had the tune, it happened a lot more and was way more exaggerated. As soon as it starts doing it, shift and let off the throttle a little
It's different than bucking from the throttle. This is pure DCT.

Several times it has been. violent. You can hear it from the drivers seat through the windows.

Throttle input (or letting up) has zero bearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Yes I have noticed this as well. My observation is as follows, it is most likely to happen in sport + everything and D3. Happens less so in sport throttle. Unlikely to happen in efficient mode. Like others have already mentioned, committing your foot to acceleration will make it less likely, however the roads are not empty enough or long enough for you to press the pedal down most of the time. I find when I take control of shifting this NEVER happens. Put the gear in manual mode and see if it still is an issue. Modulate the throttle too, I found it helpful especially since I never had an M car before so it took me some time to realize how much force I should be applying.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #16
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Nope
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@dr.mba, it only happens in manual mode for me, well that's because I only drive in manual mode the rare times I drive in D mode, it hasn't happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #18
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Several times it has been. violent. You can hear it from the drivers seat through the windows.

Can you explain in more detail what you're experiencing? Weird that you can hear it. That definitely doesn't seem normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you explain in more detail what you're experiencing? Weird that you can hear it. That definitely doesn't seem normal.
When it happens daily, but random, regardless of settings.. you can feel the trans physically moving the car forward and backwards. That the best I can explain. Even completely off throttle.

It's a very busy time for me, but I'll have it in the shop by the end of July.

I have a plan of attack now. So that's good.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #20
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

It certainly can happen in 1st gear in manual but I tend to shift quickly out of 1st or even start in 2nd. Problem solved (at least for me)

M
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #21
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
You pretty much have to relearn how to drive the w/ M-DCT. As others have reported the F80/F82 has this "throwing a fit" personality if you are new to the car.

If this jerking motion is happening at times it shouldn't (accelerating or decelerating) then something is a bit wrong with your car. My best suggestion is to go to the dealership and drive the car w/ the SA in it so you can show him. Don't let them drive as they might not know what you are talking about.

It took me a few months and practice to get rid of the jerky motion. I have the habit of easing off the gas or slow into a stop. You cannot really do this with the M-DCT as the car doesn't like it, the "brain" of the car doesn't know what to do so it jerks.
      05-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #22
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Once in a blue moon it's jerky. It usually happens if I coming to a stop sign and there are several other cars in front of me. I think the DCT gets confused at 2nd gear with the constant rolling stops in 1st and 2nd gear.

But like I said, it probably only happens to me around once or twice a month - based on a daily drive.
Appreciate 0