GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep
Drives: M4 ZR-1 & LT4 Corvettes

Question Looking for input - waterpump failure f82 M4

2016 M4 63k miles.
So the other night just cruising home and got a top up coolant pop up on the display and I looked back and sure enough some white smoke behind the car. Managed to cruise it home quickly, any coolant added drained right out. Pulled the air box and can see the water pump belt is loose and when adding coolant to the expansion tank it drains right out of what looks like a small tube behind the water pump pulley presumably from the weep hole.

Just wanted to ask for any info and tips if anyone has tackled the waterpump. I don’t see any threads that I can find or YouTube videos etc. I ordered a new waterpump, both belts and a thermostat. I’m
Not familiar with the crimp style clamps bmw uses on the water pump hoses so assuming I’ll be replacing those with traditional hose clamps?
Also just curious about the fan .. does it drop down from below or pulled up from the top ?
I’ll be taking pics and will update into a new post with pics and videos as it seems many have already messaged me on Fb asking me to do so as they can’t find much on the topic either.

Any help /tips/ info is appreciated !

*** UPDATE !!! ***

So it was the waterpump. The bearing and all its pieces and rollers fell out and a few were jammed and some pieces could be heard inside the pump. The weep hole was dripping straight down onto the belt which spits it up everywhere underhood.
The install was quite easy. I took my time and chose to remove the radiator fan from below. Mostly just to familiarize myself with this motor and to make room to do the crank bolt capture plate while in there.

I chose to replace the waterpump , thermostat and both belts all together.
Here’s some pics :

New pump and thermostat which is a one piece with the housing and has a sensor inside as well. I usually look to drill a tiny hole in the thermostat to aid in bleeding but there is a hole and in the design there is a sensor in that spot so I didnt want to add any holes and mess with the sensor and possibly trigger any codes because of the change.

Dropped the oil cooler and it was cluttered up so for a chance to clean it up.

Pic of the pump with the fan in place, can see the wobbly pulley. I believe there is sufficient space to change the pump out without removing the fan but I chose to remove it.

Again I’m not sure I just go as I see and it looked like the fan would come out best below which it did. Just had to remove a plastic deflector shield, the ewp bracket and the pump. I believe the charge cooler pump could have been left connected and moved to the side but I chose to remove it and drained out the coolant from the passenger side front radiator located in the lower bumper.

Ewp which I believe is for the charge cooler side of the cooling system.

With the rad fan out.. the view from top. Plenty of space to work. I also chose to remove the forward turbo I let pipe which was very easy from underneath.

Pump pulley removed. Had to pick up snap ring pliers and file them down to get the snap ring out. Didn’t have to remove any tension with the belt as the bearing was so destroyed and there was so much play it had no tension already. Just 4 screws and the snap ring and it comes off.

Water pump is easily removed. Screws are different lengths so i punched them into some cardboard to remember which went where. Just remove clips from hoses and remove as well as a screw for the hard lines which I think go to cool the turbos. I left the thermostat attached and removed the hose from the radiator and pulled it out together.

View of the space from below. At this point I stopped for 5 mins and just installed the crank bolt capture which took 5-10 minutes.

Capture plate installed. Left the belt on so the tension would help keep everything in place and it didn’t move a mm.

Old and new pump

Water pump pulley has an elongated hole so it can slide to increase or reduce tension. Quite interesting design and was easy to work with. I dug up some instructions that said to turn the main crank bolt.. but with the cbc there’s no bolt to turn so I just put the belt on and turned the giant nut right on the end of the pulley and it pulled the tension on the belt and slides the pulley over to its correct position. When it reaches this position with belt tension the 4 holes for the pulley bolts line up and I torqued those in. Very simple.

Just finishing the bleeding process.. fires up nice and smooth and quiet and can’t wait to start driving it again ! Such a lovely car to work on

Last edited by 5ABIVT; 03-25-2022 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 6
smm310.50
bvrider1340.50
dzxy24.50
sly1types426.50
ShopVac4020.00
      03-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Wish I could be of more help here, but interested in this thread and you progress. I keep getting an intermittent thermostat code for it getting stuck open at times, so I'll probably be trying to do that soon (maybe after I fix the other car lol)
      03-14-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Wish I could be of more help here, but interested in this thread and you progress. I keep getting an intermittent thermostat code for it getting stuck open at times, so I'll probably be trying to do that soon (maybe after I fix the other car lol)
Definitely will be updating just trying to help the community I didn’t find hardly anything about the water pump so I figured I’d post about it. I’ll upload a few short videos to show the symptoms and to hopefully help anyone in the future. I believe I did read that the thermostat does fail in the open Kaitlin which is a good thing. In my past cars a ‘fail-safe’ thermostat was always a popular option as many would fail closed and there would be overheating etc.

I’ve tackled the valve cover and minor stuff already like plugs charge pipes and charge cooler as well as the catless downpipes myself but I have no ventured a little further into the front and accessory drive so that’s why I just wanted to ask me see if anyone had any experience there. Always just trying to familiarize myself as much as possible while waiting for the parts to come In.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 07:34 PM   #4
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep

just updated with some pics and info
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Thanks for the How-to and pics! Will make it easier for me when I need to get in there and do some maintenance!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:54 AM   #6
Matt214
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2106 BMW M3 (F80) MT

Great write up! I'm about to do the pump and thermostat as well. You are right, there is practically nothing online as far as a how-to for this!
      08-14-2023, 12:39 PM   #7
jagus
Private
Rep
Drives: M3F80 - 135i N54 - 2x328ie36

Just for reference, I swapped my water pump and thermostat, and it is doable without completely removing the fan and the electric water pump. What I did is pushing downwards the fan to make some room to work
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #8
XelAbel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

This is great, and yes not a damn thing out there for this DIY. Was going to just do my thermostat, but figured since im in there might as well do the waterpump.

Fans currently running nearly 100% duty cycle and car holds at 108C. Need to hook up to ISTA to see what else is going on, but thinking it is almost certainly the thermostat, and or the waterpump.

Note: Serpentine tensioner is also dancing quite a bit, more than I would expect anyway. Thinking the bearing may be on its way out on the ol' waterpump.

Also, thanks for the great idea of doing the VTT capture while your in there, I am going to do the same
Appreciate 0