Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-13-2023, 05:32 PM   #1
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Lead in oil analysis

Hello everyone,

Quick question: does any of the bearings or any components of the s55 contain lead?
Reason i ask is my latest blackstone uoa revealed 7 ppm lead. Im almost certain lead is not used in any bmw motors after the older s65/s85 so im perplexed why i would have lead in the oil. I recently got a 2018 zcp with 73k kms on it. As far as i can tell its only ever been serviced at the dealer on recommended intervals before i bought it. Anyways, i did use boostane a few times before i changed the oil. But i dont know if that would contain lead. Ive read too that pump gas could be contaminated with lead as well??

Im perplexed. Any insight would be appreciated!
      01-13-2023, 06:11 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
No, these engines should be lead-free. It won't be from the bearings.

Have you filled up at any race tracks? Could be from leaded fuel if that's the case.

7ppm isn't high enough to be from a bullet in the engine like I had...

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 4
      01-13-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

Have you filled up at any race tracks? Could be from leaded fuel if that's the case.

Oh damn. A reply from the man himself haha!
Thanks farkle.

And no i didnt fill with any race fuel. The closest thing would be when ive been adding a few liters of e85 from this one gas station that i always go to. Maybe got contaminated from the supplier. Anyways, thank you for confirming that there is no lead metals in the engine assembly itself.
      01-13-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I encountered the same thing on my S4, I used boostane and my oil sample from Blackstone had 12 ppm of lead but if you research, the SDS is worthless as they consider the ingredients proprietary and not listed. After that I used Lucas and their SDS has Naphtha and MMT listed then I went E40 tune. Next oil change it will be gone if you don't reuse boostane.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 11:06 PM   #5
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
I encountered the same thing on my S4, I used boostane and my oil sample from Blackstone had 12 ppm of lead but if you research, the SDS is worthless as they consider the ingredients proprietary and not listed. After that I used Lucas and their SDS has Naphtha and MMT listed then I went E40 tune. Next oil change it will be gone if you don't reuse boostane.
This is good to know. Boostane says no lead but there may be a minimum value where they dont actually have to report how much lead there is and call it “proprietary”.
      01-14-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
This is good to know. Boostane says no lead but there may be a minimum value where they dont actually have to report how much lead there is and call it “proprietary”.
Coincidentally, my most recent Blackstone report also revealed high lead (13ppm). I've never used a booster or E85 but did refuel several times at the track pumps using unleaded 93. Perhaps the fuel truck delivery driver accidentally filled the 93 storage tanks with leaded 112 aviation race fuel?

I'm starting to suspect it's a false positive just like the high copper levels noted in a prior UOA report. It's the fear that keeps you coming back for more. One day I'm going to send Blackstone fresh motor oil as a control sample.

DEREK: Lead is much higher than it was in previous samples from your M3. Lead can show bearing wear
in some engines, but S55 engines come with aluminum bearings, so we doubt lead relates to any kind of problem. It probably has an outside source like blow-by from track fuel or an octane booster. The more
common wear metals are right around their former levels, which is great. The 5.0 TBN shows that the oil
had plenty of active additive left in reserve. The viscosity is on the mark for 5W/30, and insolubles at 0.2% show proper oil filtration. Good report.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

^^I hate to say it but could be your rod bearings wearing. I wish I would have had looked further into my S4 motor as it started developing an AL count around 80k, AL started showing up in my oil samples then progressed from 2ppm to 10ppm and a few months later my #5 piston cracked and motor was toast. Whenever you get a spike, shorten your oil intervals, use 5W40 for track and see if #'s decay.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 02:23 PM   #8
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

I JUST saw your video! Was going to post here.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:19 PM   #9
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Your engine is going to blow! Sell the car to me cheap and I will take care of it.